'Skyfall' Story Details Reveal Ralph Fiennes Will Replace an Iconic Character

We now know whom Ralph Fiennes' government agent will be replacing in this upcoming James Bond adventure.
Ralph Fiennes will replace an iconic 007 character
Ralph Fiennes will replace an iconic 007 character
Early today, Ralph Fiennes revealed some meager character details about his role in the upcoming James Bond adventure Skyfall, offering this small hint.

"I'm allowed to say that I'm a government agent."

Now, an insider at EON Productions has slipped a few more story details our way, and, look out, this is a MAJOR SPOILER!

It seems as though Ralph Fiennes is actually going to replace Judi Dench as the new M. This will be Dame Judi's final 007 appearance, with Fiennes set to carry on the character into the unforeseeable future.

This is what we were told.

"Ralph Fiennes play's a government agent, which we never get a name on, because he is set to play the new M.

Skyfall centers around M (Judi Dench) where her past forces her to leave as head of MI6, and find a new M. The board of MI6 then turns to a government agent (Ralph Fiennes) to take over. M (Dame Judi) is now forced to train the new head of MI6."

While this news has yet to be confirmed, it does come from a quite reliable source inside the studio.

Skyfall was released November 9th, 2012 and stars Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Bérénice Marlohe, Albert Finney, Ben Whishaw. The film is directed by Sam Mendes.

1. m2

What?

2 years agoby @m2Flag

2. Jay.A.Ottley

Congratulations @movieweb , this plank of an article writer has not only spoiled 2 movies of 2011 but two of the biggest movies of 2012

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

3. slysnide

This is terrible if it's true. Judi Dench is perfect as M, and she's not even close to retirement.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

4. David-Dvd-1988

@JennyL i believe she had a flying DeLorean thanks to Q

2 years agoby @david-dvd-1988Flag

5. Aamiros

that awkward moment when voldermort is the new MI6's M :P

2 years agoby @aamirosFlag

6. JennyL

So let me get the timeline of James Bond straight. Judi Dench appeared in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace which was Bond's early days. She also appeared in Die Another Day, The World is Not Enough, Tomorrow Never Dies, and Golden Eye, which were Bond's later years. Does that mean she quit and then went back to MI6?

2 years agoby @JennyLFlag

7. KataklysmChild

I like Ralph Fiennes,but having him as the new M will be weird.Dench always had that motherly vibe to her and I will miss it if this is her last Bond film.

2 years agoby @kataklysmchildFlag

8. K-Man

I'm not really sure how I feel about this whole thing. I think I'm torn because I really like Dench as M and it wouldn't be the same without her. Plus, she has been the one classic piece of the puzzle that wasn't lost when it became a reboot......and yes, I call it a reboot because that's exactly what it is (@comicbookfan @ejk1), I dont even think anyone could argue against that one.

However, on the other hand, I find it perhaps more fitting that someone like Ralph Fiennes take over for the head of MI6. Not that Dench isn't good herself.....but considering it is a reboot, mind as well change up everything.

If ever I want my dose of the "classic" M, I can always refer back to the other Bond films Dench has been in, which is quite a few.

I'm intrigued to see how this goes down on screen! Cant wait!! I think this is going to be the best Bond film yet.......or at least the best since Goldeneye.

2012 is HERE!!!!

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

9. ChiRep_1

@shuabert lol noticed that.

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

10. Equialuv

wow - that will be different

2 years agoby @equialuvFlag

11. CBF

@bawnian-dexeus Spur of the moment, sadly. Got a friend's old USB modem but I think it's charging him for me to use it since I haven't set up an account on it yet, it just worked upon install... Guess I should let him know.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

12. CelluloidDreams

''(Singing) .....Can't wait!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

13. Josh

Hey, Orange made a proper spoiler warning here. See, he's learning.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

14. Pbcritical

cant wait for Skyfall. Finally more solid news about a new Bond movie.

2 years agoby @pbcriticalFlag

@comicbookfan BTW, you back full time or just spur of the moment?

@bawnian-dexeus yes, I can blame you :P Hahaha

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

17. CBF

@bawnian-dexeus Lol, no. GoldenEye was one of the best in my opinion.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@ejk1@comicbookfan

LOL, well, I was first introduced to Golden Eye before the rest so, can you blame me?

19. CBF

Bernard Lee seconded. Lol

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@bawnian-dexeus BERNARD LEE FTW!!! hahaha

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

Dench will always be the best M in my book

22. CBF

@ejk1 Very true.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@comicbookfan Then let's finally get everyone on the same page and call this a reboot, which the producers have been ever so reluctant to do. You and I know it's a reboot, they need to admit it.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

24. CBF

@ejk1 Yes well that would have been okay if they had left the timeline intact, but instead, they changed the date to post-9/11 instead of mid-Cold War. So they started a new series, practically, by placing the timeline in the modern 2000s.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

Predictable. She is way past due to be retired as M, and never should have been brought along for the reboot. Bernard Lee was Bond's original M, not Dench.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

26. joekerr2e

So... one of you still read the article and the other just came to troll the forum. Gratz, A$$hats!!!

2 years agoby @joekerr2eFlag

27. MovieManiac

Well at least the spoiler wasn't in the title. I skipped the article because I didn't want the surprise spoiled. I'll wait until November 9th to find out who he's playing.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

28. Barkx

See, now it's not THAT hard to write a SPOILER-FREE article title, is it Mr. Orange?! Well done, you've been listening! :p

2 years agoby @barkxFlag

29. CBF

Well they did mention the spoiler alert so if people are going to be pissed off it can only be aimed at themselves for choosing to not look away.

This is interesting news, sounds like how Desmond Llewelyn passed on the role to John Cleese in The World is Not Enough. Under training, he was referred to as R. I wonder if Fiennes will be referred to as N...? Lol, probably too campy. It no doubt will have a more serious tone than the later Brosnan flicks. I just hope they show Moneypenny's origin.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

30. supermanvenom

@kguy I'm one of them lol. That is so lame.

2 years agoby @supermanvenomFlag