'Scream 5' Still Possible Says Harvey Weinstein

The Weinstein Company executive indicates that Wes Craven will likely return to direct a new sequel featuring Ghostface.
Harvey Weinstein believes Scream 5 will happen with Wes Craven
Harvey Weinstein believes Scream 5 will happen with Wes Craven
The horror sequel Scream 4 is not performing well at the domestic box office, taking in just $37.5 million after five weeks in theaters. However, The Weinstein Company's Harvey Weinstein is certain that Scream 5 will happen, with Wes Craven returning to direct. Here's what Harvey Weinstein had to say below.

"I'm sure [director Wes Craven is] going to do a sequel, I'm sure he's going to do a sequel."

Harvey Weinstein also indicated that the foreign numbers are strong on Scream 5, which is always good news for a potential sequel in development.

"Foreign [sales] are so strong that we'll do over $100 million worldwide. It's at $90 now, with about five or six major countries to go and a lot of small ones. We'll probably do $110 million. I wish it would have been better domestically. But it's not the worst thing in the world that's ever happened."

Back in April, Wes Craven revealed that screenwriter Kevin Williamson has a whole new trilogy mapped out, which starts with Scream 4. You can Click Here! to read on for more details about the trilogy, and you can Click Here! for the video interview with Harvey Weinstein.

Scream 5 is in development and stars Neve Campbell, David Arquette.

Sources: MTV

1. Jarrod Lee Woogerd

What the hell is wrong with most of you? Scream 4 was fantastic. It was better than 2 and 3 and not far from the original. All you people want to see anymore is superheroes and vampires that are in love. (No offense Williamson Vampire Diaries is way better than Twilight) Scream 4 was masterfully crafted and for a film that has been out of the picture for 11 years? Come on people! You guys comment on this page just to bash the film. You're not even Scream fans. If you were or knew anything about good films you would love this movie. In my opinion it should of beat out everything else when it was released. Wes is a master at directing and Williamson can write up a brilliant storm. Keep them coming please. If 5 is anything like 4 then I'll be counting down the days. Thank you guys for a wonderful film.

3 years agoby @Jarrod-Lee-WoogerdFlag

2. LeighAyn

I would love for them to have another one. CAUSE THEY ARE BEAST!!

3 years agoby @LeighaynFlag

3. Salem6777

just die already!

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

@dan1 Your absolutly right and i still hold on to some of those child hood heroes. Dennis Quaid is one example of an actor that used to have a special spark but lost it. I still all his movies. Kurt Russell seemed to have lost it before falling off the radar. There are so many that were childhood favs that kind of lost it but i still se them all...just like DiNero, as you mentioned.

And i dont have a single doubt that one day MOST of our beloved directors of today will lose touch. It happens to the best of them. Hell, after Indy 4 i thought i would be adding Spielberg to that list but Tintin has me hyped up.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

5. Smitty-werbenjagermanjensen

I actually didnt care either way I thought the last one was great and figured even if they cant do 5 nd 6 then at least they finished it off with a great movie. But this is good news too, seein how they already have it planned out for what they want to do

3 years agoby @Smitty-werbenjagermanjensenFlag

6. Nautical

NO NO NO

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

7. Avian

Kill off everybody, have Ghostface win. That's what should've happened in the fourth, and then the fifth could been something new.

3 years agoby @avian005Flag

Wes Craven, George Lucas, and a few others: total hacks these days.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@skywise Exactly. Where some actors and film makers have time on gracefully, some are just pitiful. Wes is a joke these days, as is Robert DeNiro. Blasphemy? 20 years ago, absolutely. Today, the hard truth. But the average person is a sheep. They see a big name, and eat up whatever is served to them. I suppose I can understand that to a degree, I'd prob stick by someone like Nolan or Fincher if they went downhill in quality in say a couple decades from now. Right now you'd say yeah right, those dudes are gods, but I bet people said the same thing of my previous examples 20-30 years ago.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

10. Dillon Spencer

I loved the fourth and would love another, I Read that the script for number four was changed alot because of bob weinstein and thats probably why the fourth movie failed in certain ways.

3 years agoby @Dillon-SpencerFlag

11. Brainiac

@thrashnasty190 i'm kinda with u here. i didn't even think that Scream 4 was that good, but i'd see scream 5 anyway. its sort of my guilty pleasure also. i see no need for another movie, didn't think we need number 4, but i still saw it and i'd still see another one.

3 years agoby @thebdFlag

12. thrashnasty190

The Scream series is my guilty pleasure, I know I'm in the minority here but I'd like to see it, I thought 4 was pretty cool

3 years agoby @thrashnasty190Flag

I really want to root for Wes Craven since he created some of my favorite horrors of the 80's but he has not "aged" well as some of his contemporaries have (David Cronenberg anyone?).

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

14. moviegeek

Uhh.. yea. No one cares about this franchise anymore.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

The Scream series isn't like the Fast/Furious series. It's not getting better...

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. incmob

4 words... GIVE...IT....UP.... okay, three words, but you get the point.

but... much like i stopped at 3 words... the scream franchise should have stopped at 3 films. the 4th was just, well, not very good in my opinion... i picked the killer out within a 45 minute timeframe, and it just seemed, not on par with the other three. and whatever happened to them bringing courtney cox back for the fourth... oh yes, thats right, they did. that is the good thing about cgi characters... they never get plastic surgery done.

3 years agoby @incmobFlag

17. thedude-abides

I don't mind if they do another one at this point. It's already ruined, so what's one more movie?

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

18. LittleJohn

I really hope they do a Scream 5 and I hope they bring Kirby back. You only saw her get stabbed, you didn't see her actually die.

3 years agoby @littlejohnFlag

19. Bryan Yentz

Wow. Terrible news. Because we need yet another horror film that recites conventions in the most blase way while doing nothing new with them. Even as a straight horror film--taking away the hype and the fact it comes from Wes Craven--it's atrocious. The acting, the writing, the ABYSMAL music. Had this been any other flick, like one called, "YELL", I think viewers would have woken up to the lazy, pretentious filmmaking going on here.

3 years agoby @bryanyentzFlag

20. Ghostman

Well, like @cheetoboy said if the home video release does well, then they could do a 5th one. @moviemaniac66 ur absolutely right :) @david-mulholland you are correct! the whole reboots/remakes spoof it mocked and the 'people who wanna be famous kill other people' plotline with Jill was great too! But, what will a 5cream (if it'll be called that) plot be?

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

21. MovieManiac

I loved Scream 4 and as long as the original cast, Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson return, I'm game.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

22. Jimthar

i have to say that those domestic numbers are a bit disappointing. i saw S4 on opening night and loved it, as did everyone else in the theatre, so im surprised that more people havent seen it. but with movies like FAST FIVE and THOR opening recently, i guess i can understand how scream may have suffered. but im optimistic and am looking forward to SCREAM 5

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

23. JonSpidey07

I do want to see more Scream movies
    Wes did talk about an extended cut of 4 when its on DVD

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

24. Cheetoboy

If it sells well on DVD and Blu-Ray, a sequel will definitely happen, there has been plenty of cases where movie that didn't do that well in the theaters did great on video, on the bright side it still did very well overseas. I haven't seen Scream4 yet, and I still want to, but what were some of y'all opinions on it?

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

25. TheRingFan1

@david-mulholland I completely agree with you. Scream4 was more than just a horror movie, it had a deeper meaning within. The movie touched on issues that this new generation is dealing with... I think scream 5 will continue one with some brilliant, and could possible be a very strong film overall.
    We Craven knows what he is doing, he wouldn't just keep pumping out films for no reason.

3 years agoby @theringfan1Flag

26. David Mulholland

Hell yea! Best news I've heard all year practically!
    SCRE4M was Brilliant!
    It was perfectly relevant to today's new & constantly growing multimedia world not to mention it was just as 'self aware' as all the other movies.
    This movie was EXACTLY what this decade's generation of teens is all about. Maybe that's why so many {older} critics have been giving it so much sh*t. There is a huge difference in culture with teens from then 1996 to now 2011 - don't people realise this?
    Jill was basically a representation for today's generation of teenagers. Today's teenagers are fed by Hollywood fame & celebrity {trust me I go to uni, I see it every day}. Jill just wanted the fans & attention {much like ALOT of people I know...}. She just took it to the next level. 2.0
    I'm so F'in pumped for a 5th installment - Bring it on Wes & Kevin!!!

3 years agoby @david-mulhollandFlag