'Scarface' Remake Gets Writer David Ayer

The 'Training Day' scribe has been brought on to draft a new version of the gangster classic for Universal Pictures.
David Ayer is writing the new Scarface remake for Universal
David Ayer is writing the new Scarface remake for Universal
Training Day screenwriter David Ayer has signed on to write the Scarface remake for Universal Pictures. We first reported on this project back in September, when the studio was seeking writers.

This new Scarface is said to combine elements of the 1932 Scarface, and the 1983 Scarface, while setting it in a modern crime world. Here's what David Ayer had to say about taking on this new project.

"This is a fantasy for me, I can still remember when I saw the film at 13 and it blew my mind. I sought it out. I went after it hard. I see it as the story of the American dream, with a character whose moral compass points in a different direction. That puts it right in my wheelhouse. I studied both the original Ben Hecht-Howard Hawks movie and the (Brian) De Palma-(Al) Pacino version and found some universal themes. I'm still under the hood figuring out the wiring that will translate, but both films had a specificity of place, there was unapologetic violence, and a main character who socially scared the shit out of people, but who had his own moral code. Each was faithful to the underworld of its time. There are enough opportunities in the real world today that provide an opportunity to do this right. If it was just an attempt to remake the 1983 film, that would never work."

Martin Bregman, who produced the 1983 Scarface, and Marc Shmuger are producing the remake. No production schedule was given for Scarface.

Scarface comes to theaters in 2014. The film is directed by Pablo LarraĆ­n.

Sources: Deadline

1. The Boondock Saint

@zenttox I'm taking about mass reception though. maybe war of the worlds and king kong are just personals of mine, but dawn of the dead is widely known as one of the greatest remakes of all time, despite your personal opinion on it. you got to respect the fact that it has potential. Like I said, the pacino scarface was a remake too,and we see how that was widely recieved.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

2. ZenTTox

@combatmadness360 Yes they are. Dawn Of The Dead, War Of The Worlds and King Kong were horrible remakes compared to the originals.

3 years agoby @zenttoxFlag

3. BERSERKER

Hollywood is going to say hello to my little friend if they keep this up ;(.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

4. CUPID

F*ck!!!! leave it alone.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

5. The Boondock Saint

@zenttox Why do you already assume it's gonna be sh*t? Not EVERY SINGLE remake is sh*t! perfect examples are Let Me In, Dawn of The Dead, King Kong, War Of The Worlds, AND the Al Pacino Scarface! I know, not all remakes are good, and this film could very well be sh*t, but I think it's a bit unfair to sh*t on it already.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

6. The Boondock Saint

Is everyone really freaking out about this? I am very excited about this. I just saw this for the first time the other day, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always really imagined seeing it in a modern day crime world. and you got the training day scribes writing this? perfect. I cannot wait.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

7. Black Jesus

W...T........F......... -.-

3 years agoby @black-jesusFlag

8. Gilbert DjSleepy

Its these writers ..they cant come up with there own movies . so they have to try to remake every movie out there ....To All writers out there GET The HINT and write your own stuff already STOP REMAKING MOVIES THAT SHOULDN'T BE TOUCHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!next tyme we here about writers there going to try to remake movies that are out in the theaters right now ...

3 years agoby @Gilbert-DjSleepyFlag

9. Dragon1991

Another remake for a movie that's already been down that road already? MADNESS I TELL YOU!!!

3 years agoby @Dragon1991Flag

10. Junior Roberts

There needs to be a way that fans can voice their opinion on movies to Hollywood execs that certain movies should NOT be remade due to the fact that the previous version is considered #Classic

3 years agoby @junior-robertsFlag

11. ChiRep_1

Leave it alone!

3 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

12. K.Guy

There's really no need for a remake!! The 1983 version is good enough!

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

13. ChuChi

Idk but let's see. Not a fan of remakes and not a huge fan of the 1983 versi&#243n. I heard that this version will be a African American scarface

3 years agoby @josedrosaFlag

14. ZenTTox

Here's a sensational idea. Remake every single movie in existence and then remake all those movies (like you've already started) and continue to butcher every classic movie ever made, and begin the new generation of people with water-down bullpiss filled with recent retarded pop culture and Seth McDouchbagfarlen type of humor.

A perfect example of this is as follows -
    Random internet forum post - "Wow, The Thing was awesome. I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel! When does it release"

When in fact The Thing was released in 1982. Looks like on related stories they're remaking Commando. I'm happy, because up until about 5 mins I wasn't breaking objects and punching people.

3 years agoby @zenttoxFlag

15. empath86

1st comment, and i say boo!

3 years agoby @empath86Flag