Samuel L. Jackson Is 'Afro Samurai'

The actor is set for a new live action adaptation of the animated series.
Samuel L. Jackson is Afro Samurai
Samuel L. Jackson is Afro Samurai
It was announced today that The Indomina Group, the fast-growing U.S. and Dominican Republic based producer and distributor of film, TV and trans-media content, is teaming with Samuel L. Jackson and Gonzo studios to produce a new live action film based on the popular Afro Samurai animated series that has spawned an impressive franchise and a global following. The announcement was made by Indomina Group Vice Chairman and CEO Jasbinder Singh Mann who will serve as producer with Samuel L. Jackson and Gonzo Studios' Shin Ishikawa. Eli Selden of Anonymous Content is executive producing.

Academy Award® nominee Samuel L. Jackson has been close to the franchise for a number of years having voiced Afro Samurai for the 2007 anime TV mini-series Afro Samurai and again for the 2009 Emmy® winning animated TV movie Afro Samurai: Resurrection.

Said Jackson...

"This has been one of my very favorite properties ever since our amazing debut at Comic Con with the original series pilot out of Japan. I can't wait to produce the epic feature film version with our new partners at The Indomina Group."

"When Indomina was launched, Afro Samurai was quickly identified as the perfect property for us to option and exploit through our vertical channels targeted to a fanboy audience," said Singh Mann. We never took our eyes off the property and are very pleased to not only have the opportunity now to make an extraordinary film, but to do it with Samuel L. Jackson, who is just as passionate about Afro Samurai as we are. This is a perfect collaboration in the eyes of Indomina. We look forward to going to work with Sam and Gonzo on this and making something discernibly unique."

Producers plan to attach a writer and director this summer and complete casting by the end of the year. The film will be shot at Pinewood Indomina Studios in the Dominican Republic in 2012.

Indomina optioned the rights to Afro Samurai from Japanese rights holder Gonzo and will make "Afro Samurai" the first feature film production from The Indomina Group, which over the last six months has debuted its North American distribution arm (Indomina Releasing), international sales division (Indomina International) and Studio operations and facilities (Pinewood Indomina Studios).

Stacey Smart Stanley is overseeing the project's development for Indomina while Chris Carlisle will oversee for Gonzo Studios.

For more information please visit AfroSamuraithemovie.com

1. Monkeyiron 2.0

@cupid bet Foxx Would get the role as Afro after his performance in Django Unchained

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

2. Salem6777

sweet

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

3. Sbrio26

And please no Andre 3000!!! That's the best way to keep me out of the theater!

I'll probably be stoned for this suggestion, but what about Tyrese Gibson? It's a mostly silent role and he's a solid actor who's got presence even when silent. He's comes off as a little angry and complex and that would work for Afro. If he dropped about 20 - 30 pounds I think he could pull it off well.

3 years agoby @sbrio26Flag

4. Sbrio26

I love Afro but seriously can you picture one decent (not to mention tall, lanky, athletically inclined) actor who wouldn't look RIDICULOUS in that hyper stylized afro? I would loathe a cheesy afro but I would also hate it not being as visually striking as the animated series. They got some real balls trying to make this!!

I won't know if I'm on board until I see who the lead is. In my head I picture it as a cross between the best spaghetti westerns with a touch of The Matrix, Oldboy, and some of the creative fight choreography from NInja Assassins. Jackson should play ninja ninja.

3 years agoby @sbrio26Flag

5. Utopia

Jackson is fat and old. Find a younger guy.

3 years agoby @utopiaFlag

6. Monkeyiron 2.0

Two weeks later MW headllines "Afro Samurai wants Andre Benjamin 3000" lol @cupid

3 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

7. Kazuma_47

@ghostman I bought it off of Amazon.

3 years agoby @kazuma-47Flag

8. ROFLitschristian

"I'm tired of these mother f*ckin picks in my mother f*ckin afro!" I'm in.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

9. Monkeyiron 2.0

@cupid yea he's Ninja Ninja rapping and sh*t

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

10. CUPID

@Monkey-iron Big Boi? lmao that would be funny.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

11. Monkeyiron 2.0

@cupid I agree with Andre Benjamin he luks Lyke Afro in weird way and I do take back Will smith as Afro and it would be funny if Big Boi was Ninja Ninja lol

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

12. CUPID

@Monkey-iron I agree that Sam did do a great job with the voice and that he is to old for this but i dont think anyone could play this role, maybe if i had to pick someone that look like him i'll say Andre Benjamin he may not have that voice but he does look the part but i'm still not down with this being live action.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

13. Monkeyiron 2.0

I nominate Will Smith as Afro. Dont get my wrong Sam is a great job as the Voice of Afro and Ninja Ninja but we're talking about Live Action Afro Samurai Movie Sam is too old 2 do most of the tricks that Afro did in the anime. He can be Ninja NInja but not Afro again I'm a Fan of Samuel L. Jackson and Afro Samuria

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

Wasn't a great fan of Afro Samurai, but that was because of the lack of series length. Perhaps something more can be fleshed out here.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

15. Ghostman

I always wished for them to make a feature film adaptation in theaters for Afro, and now my wish came true :D

@kazuma-47 Where'd you get that wallet?!?! I could never find one in stores.

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

16. CUPID

Stupid news.....just stupid, this coming from a big fan of Afro Samurai, because i think this is gonna be a fail WHY? two words LIVE ACTION!!

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

17. m2

Never saw the show,but with a title like that and Jackson in it I'll be sure to watch it.lol

3 years agoby @m2Flag

18. Justhim_sir

So Samuel going to be the actor in this or find someone a little younger and fit to play that role?

3 years agoby @justhim-sirFlag

19. MovieManiac

This would be awesome but I'd rather it not be live action. Anime would be better.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

20. Kazuma_47

Seems so fitting. I have his wallet that says "Bad Motherf*cker".

3 years agoby @kazuma-47Flag

21. RojoDiablo

Love this series and think this is solid news for us fans, just wonder if Jackson is up for playing the role, he isn't a spring chicken anymore!

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

22. Summit10

afro-samurai - check; post-apocalyptic - check; cyborg samurai and ninjas - ?

This will be tons of Green Screen and CGI btw, will they get also Ron Perlman for Justice? and Lucy Liu for Sio? Teddyface Jinno would be awesome hehehe :)

3 years agoby @summit10Flag

23. Monkeyiron 2.0

Hope it starts from the beginning because some people never heard of it but so can't wait I wonder will Jackson be Afro or will they hire a younger actor 2 b him and he'll just be Ninja Ninja

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

24. phatalphd

I LOVE the show. And Jacksons voice IS Afro, but im not so sure that he'd be good as Afro, physically I mean. I just can't picture it. Plus I thought Afro is supposed to be in his late 20's or 30's?

3 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

25. K.Guy

Perfecto!

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

26. Corey W.

Cool. But, m'eh, I have a feeling in my gut this'll suck.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

I loved the show but this sounds awesome. I really hope this works out.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Should be fun if done right