Samuel Bayer to Direct 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'

New film to closely follow the 1984 original.
DESC
DESC
According to Risky Business Blog, it looks like Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes and New Line Cinema have tapped director Samuel Bayer for the new A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The film is a franchise restart that centers on the dream-invading serial killer, Freddy Krueger.

Wesley Strick is writing the screenplay.

It looks like this new A Nightmare on Elm Street will borrow a lot from the 1984 version.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was released April 30th, 2010 and stars Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, Kellan Lutz, Clancy Brown, Connie Britton. The film is directed by Samuel Bayer.

1. CBF

Stupid.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

2. Drsatan1978

there is only one true Freddy and its Robert f*cking englund you Hollywood f*cks!

5 years agoby @drsatan1978Flag

3. Drsatan1978

Yay!!! another f*cking franchise reboot, oh joy!

5 years agoby @drsatan1978Flag

4. City_Of_Kings

WithOut No Wes Craven This Movie Is DOA 4 Freddy & This Time He'll Stay !

5 years agoby @city-of-kingsFlag

5. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

Yeah but everyone here knows Thornton can't live up to Englund.

Meh just wait for the prequel i'm writing it f*cking awesome, that is if you've every seen Freddy cause a massive car wreck like the one from Final Destination 2

LOL @ Hannah's comment on celluloid

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

6. kyle_hannah

...something is missing here....I KNOW!!!! An anti-remake rant from CelluloidDreams is missing hmm i wonder where he is you'd think he'd be all over this

5 years agoby @kyle-hannahFlag

7. The Dark Knight

this director sucks

5 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

8. jshadows

i hate to disappoint everyone but as of right now Billy Bob Thorton IS!!! the front runner for freddy...it sucks big time but its not to bad of a choice because hes a creepy *sshole himself

5 years agoby @jshadowsFlag

9. Mr.Rated-R

oops, spelled Roberts last name wrong. lol

5 years agoby @residentevilfanFlag

10. Mr.Rated-R

this will b gd if they get Robert ingald to play freddy again

5 years agoby @residentevilfanFlag

11. righthandofdoom

Not a big fan of Freddy Krueger. Like to see it done differently from the old ones.

5 years agoby @righthandofdoomFlag

12. masterofthemoon

I hope they do a really good job with the script, the casting & the film. I don't see Billy Bob Thorton as Freddy Kruger, they should choose a relative unknown to play as Fred, cause I also doubt Robert Englund would wanna be Freddy ever agian. He's done it all before & they may end up choosing someone younger to re-do this film franchise as the new Freddy Kruger.

5 years agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

13. Vamp

We'll all miss Englund, no doubt about that, but do we really want Freddy to be chasing the kids around with a walker? lolz. I'm just kidding, but he's moved on to bigger and better things..... Like "Zombie Strippers!"

I jest, of course, but if it's a reimagining, and a new take on things, then it seems only fit that they get someone new.

5 years agoby @vampire2000Flag

14. Psycho

This could go either way.

5 years agoby @physco-123Flag

15. Stumarker123

I'm a little concerned about this remake, I think it won't be the same without Robert Englund, I mean, HE IS THE ONE AND ONLY FREDDY KRUGER, the friday the 13th is great by the way, but Jason uses a mask, but Fred has no mask to wear... Oh well we'll see....

5 years agoby @stumarker123Flag

16. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

Hahahaah.

Don't forget the unique killings

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

17. kyle_hannah

Englund is awesome but i gotta admit i'm hyped about this i mean how long has it been since a new Elm Street film came out. I agree a prequel is more fitting as i thought it was an unexplored area of Krueger that had so much potential for great storytelling. Remake or not i'm excited for this and i really do love the first movie not even so much for it's storytelling as it has many many flaws but just for the genius and immortal character

5 years agoby @kyle-hannahFlag

18. Creepshow

SO F*CKING LAME. This is blasphemous.

5 years agoby @creepshowFlag

19. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

I did it in one of my short stories once but it wasn't all of them.

It was only Leatherface, Jason, Michael & Freddy in which in my novel they play as 'the 4 horsemen of the horrorpocaylpse' and if they fight long enough the Devil will rise to claim Earth and reveal a secret to change the course of mankind forever.

It was this cool little mad story i wrote out of boredom. I later expanded it into a trilogy did plot outlines for 1 & 2 and never got to three lol just gave it a title

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

20. Diaigma

Dude, Twisted, you visionary. Instead of a "Freddy vs. Jason 2" have ALL the icons in one film, battle it out for the position of supreme evil overlord of the universe! I might even see that! :P

5 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

21. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

That is one pretty f*cking awesome idea, but it wouldn't happen unless studios kind of like co-joined with each other to produce, because different icons are owned by different companies

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

22. Twisted Smile

Lets put all the horror icons in one film. At the center, the puzzel box and the book of the dead. Who is going to stop them,ASH. I would go see it.

5 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

23. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

Hahaha i remember that in truth and honest brutality, put Leatherface, Jason, Michael on a battlefield against Pinhead, he'll Tear their souls apart.
    Kruger may have an advantage if he can get Pinhead to take a nap.

Me in general i just reckon that The Nightmare Franchise just needs a prequel rather than a reboot, there is a heck a lot of backstory behind Kruger's history, which could make an interesting film, i developed a storyline at one point began writing then stopped, due to college work.
    I called it 'A Dream On Elm St: The First & Final Nightmare'

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

24. Twisted Smile

WOW, did I make some grammer mistakes in that comment!

5 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

25. Twisted Smile

I understand J.A. it means a lot to you. I just was getting my opioin in and it is cool to see that you care about Mr.England.By all accounts he to be a very good man.I felt the same when Hodder was replaced for FVJ.

5 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

26. Twisted Smile

For the sake of fun I am going to throw this out to you guys. Do you remember the Michael Myers vs. Pinhead proposal? How do you think that would have worked? In my opioin Pinhead is the strongest of these iconic charecters,he would go right through Michael. That hurts me to say it because Michael is my favorite,but come on! I know this is off topic but I thought it would be fun to get your guy's views on it.

5 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

27. J.A.Ottley.Writer / Director

I'm simply annoyed at this remake twisted because one its one of my favourite actors being replaced and horror icons (Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger).
    Also this is my favourite horror and also the first horror film i ever saw and also gave me nightmares, mind you i was four lol.

I agree with you Kyle on the Shaymalan opinion, but i doubt he'll ever top 6th Sense, although i'd like to see him take on a sci-fi film.

5 years agoby @chronicFlag

28. Shinjiikari1984

Samuel Bayer is a Music Video director. Hope that he can pull off a great job as the maestro Wes Craven.

5 years agoby @shinjiikari1984Flag

29. kyle_hannah

That's true but i hate forced twists take for example Shaymalan he just by default must make a twist ending to please his audience i think limiting yourself to please your audience is ridiculous though Shaymalan should take a page from Eli Roth and dive into a completley new genre

5 years agoby @kyle-hannahFlag