Samira Wiley Responds to Sue Storm 'Fantastic Four' Casting Rumor

The actress is said to be up for a role opposite Michael B. Jordon, who might play her brother. The actress does not confirm her involvement.
Samira Wiley responds to Fantastic Four rumors
Samira Wiley responds to Fantastic Four rumors
While Saoirse Ronan has repeatedly been tied to the role of Sue Storm in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, its possible that she may be cast for any number of other projects she's also rumored for beforehand, including Star Wars: Episode VII. Because of that, another name has started to pop up, with Orange Is the New Black supporting cast mate Samira Wiley being eyed as the leading lady for this 20th Century Fox Marvel adventure.

Also repeatedly rumored is Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, who is apparently the only person 20th Century Fox is looking at for the role. Haddie's ex-boyfriend seems a lock for the iconic character. Before this Samira Wiley news started to make headlines, many wondered how Saoirse Ronan and Michael B. Jordan could still be portrayed as brother and sister, with mixed-race parents and adoption helping to explain away the differences in skin tone. Now, it seems that 20th Century Fox might step up and actually cast two African Americans for this superhero duo, which adheres to the biological relationship as seen in the original comic books.

Samira Wiley isn't admitting that she is up for the role of Sue Storm. She did address the rumors, though, and seems excited by the idea.

"I saw the articles on the Internet with my name being thrown in the mix and I'm super surprise, honored and excited about it. Just having my name be there and the possibility of that would be amazing. It's nice to have my name in that mix with all those wonderful actress."

When asked if there was any truth to the rumors, the actress played coy. She then admitted that she hadn't tested yet, but again, we know that she could very well be telling a bold faced lie.

"No, not as of yet but hopefully we can see what's going on with that. It would be amazing and the fact that we are talking about it shows how far we have come. That I can even dream about being an African American actress in 2013 and what the possibilities are and thankful to everyone that has come before me."

What do you think of Samira Wiley as Sue Storm? She steals the show on Orange Is the New Black, so we think she could also do this part some justice. And the studios have long toyed with casting African American actors in characters that were originally caucasian. Someone needs to finally pull the trigger and let it happen already, so that the controversy can die down and become non-news.

The Fantastic Four comes to theaters June 19th, 2015 and stars Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell, Toby Kebbell, Tim Blake Nelson, Reg E. Cathey. The film is directed by Josh Trank.

1. Dfella504

im black...a real ass nigga! ..so wen I say I don't wanna c a fukn black human touch or sue storm, its cus we grew up c n da characters white n da comics....it's like making luke cage white, hell they jus barely got by white nick fury, let them b da colors their supposed to b, but im still supporting da movie

6 months agoby @dfellaFlag

2. The Real Goku

@dcrock the problem I see is. It's happened many times before. I've been on this site a while and I've never seen any backlash like this before from people. So why so much now? More than ever

9 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

3. dcrock

I think it's hilarious that people think you're racist if you want a characters race to be correct. What if they made a movie about George Washington played by Jackie Chan.lol. Its like making Bishop or Blade white. Or batman black. Its just the way the characters were created and should be portrayed on screen.

9 months agoby @dcrockFlag

4. The Real Goku

@Jainit-Kapadia I doubt he will have much to say about a black cast for fantastic 4. After approving "Miles Morales" to be the first black/Mexican Spider-Man

9 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

5. Jeremy Banks

You racists really make me laugh. You're debating the casting of a reboot of two series that didn't make any money in the first place. Who cares what color they are? Maybe if I had an emotional investment in these fairy tales, I'd understand

9 months agoby @Jeremy-BanksFlag

6. Jainit Kapadia

I wanna hear stan lee's views on this topic...

9 months agoby @Jainit-KapadiaFlag

7. Gandoff

Unlike, TMNT, Transformer, ect... Comic Book based characters have a rich history already layed out. And they are not re-introduced, with 10 year breaks for a new generation of kids. They are constant. And wrote for young- to older adults. That is how FF was made. Stan Lee was tired of childish comics. He wanted to get away from the Archie kind of comics, as well as western comics. So as I 100% agree, that they should do a "comic" book line of a racial change to some characters like these. I just do not see why it needs to be on film. Yet...

9 months agoby @gandoffFlag

8. Gandoff

@shuabert Like @ejk1 said, she was half black. And her skin tone not "dark" like either of these two selected? When it comes to comics, the fan boys are the main ones who should be made happy. Cause when you alienate your base, you hurt your over all result. And even could hurt the current sales of the comic book. That is why I for one, think they should listen to comic fans more closer then say those who grew up with transformers. I do age, if they go back Johnny, they should go black Sue. But I just would rather see a more,,, comic book related look then some want to be update for film for no other reason then for controversy. And that is exactly what it would be for if they go this rout with no comic account of it.

But to your Sue was a weak character statement... Yes, she did need saving alot. But she was never created to be one who had to be saved, nor looked at weak. Stan Lee said he wanted to give a female voice. And a woman who was "invisible" in which how most thought their voice was at the time, was what she was meant to be. A statement of how women was thought of weak, and not seen. Yet they was actually quite strong, and at times, able to be the loudest voice around.

I did not see Captain America as a "joke" toward the old US propaganda days. It was more a homage, to what the comics did. You are the first person I have heard of, think they was doing that. His character from First Avengers even in, Avengers, carried over how people was thought to follow their leaders in government. Cause they was going to do what was right, ect. He was the same in First Avenger as he was in Avengers.

9 months agoby @gandoffFlag

9. Josh

@ejk1 Of course. My point was merely that she doesn't fit the WASP character described in the comic books. But we're more or less in agreement otherwise. Personally, I'm not bothered if they're a mixed-race/adopted family, as that doesn't necessitate them doing a subplot about him being an "outsider" (I know many adopted people who very much feel part of their families). But you're right in that that's a route they could choose to go if they wrote it that way, and probably an unnecessary one.

9 months agoby @shuabertFlag

@shuabert Alba's half white, and her looks are more anglicized than latin, especially since she usually has her hair dyed blond. Be that as it may, an African -American Sue Storm is how they should go if Johnny is played by Michael B. Jordan. The color of their skin does not matter to me, except in that if Johnny is black and Sue is white, one of them will be likely featured in a subplot about being an outsider, which is infringing on Ben Grimm's part of the story. So I'd rather not go that route.

9 months agoby @ejk1Flag

11. masterofthemoon

Another great comic book film going to be flushed down the toilet with bad casting like Spider-Man was, what a joke!

9 months agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

12. ObiWanShinobi

F*ck this movie & f*ck Hollywood.

9 months agoby @ObiWanShinobiFlag

13. Josh

Furthermore, if you really look at Sue Storm's origin in the comics, she was basically a passive, weakly-powered damsel in distress who mostly served to have someone to save from repeated sexual harassment by Dr. Doom and Namor. Comics were created in a very white-straight-dude-centric time. If you want Sue Storm to be an actual character, not just a blank slate, then it's disingenuous to be precious about her "sacred origin."

It's like complaining that Tin Tin the movie violated the spirit of the comic books because there weren't enough racist caricatures in it.

9 months agoby @shuabertFlag

14. Josh

It's also really hilarious that no one has brought up the fact that Sue Storm was ALREADY played by a person of colour (Jessica Alba), and no one called foul on that casting because she wasn't white.

9 months agoby @shuabertFlag

15. Josh

@gandoff That's the point. Captain America the movie MADE FUN OF what Captain America the comic book character was created to do (i.e., be a WW2 propaganda tool for the USA), and made the character about something else, more universal and more humanist.

That, to me, was a welcome change from the character's "sacred origin," but no less a change than what's being proposed here. In fact, probably more so, because they changed the essence of the character, not just his appearance.

This is tantamount to complaining about Daniel Craig being a bad Bond because he's Blonde, or Jackman being a bad Wolverine because he's tall.

But, you can't reason with fanboys. Especially over the internet.

9 months agoby @shuabertFlag

16. Gandoff

@bawnian-dexeus I find it funny to be honest, he was embraced by the tribes such as the Crow and Apache for his role in the film, which Tonto was to be a member of, yet we are trying to call foul to him now. Down playing his "connection" to native american bloodline because it was so small.

9 months agoby @gandoffFlag

17. Gandoff

@junior-roberts Like I said, when it comes to what the character looks like in the comics, it is more important that they translate in the same light on screen to comic fans. I never had a issue with Jackman as Wolverine. But I also, have a record on this site saying how much I simply hated the idea of the Amazing Spider Man story-line being used, let alone a reboot so soon. It was a fail comic line and animation show. Why use it to reboot a movie? And despite my feelings, it turned out great, and I enjoyed it. But doesn't mean I was 100% wrong that it should not have been done. But as for Depp, you are the one saying he should not have been Tonto, cause he was not native american by look. With slavery, I have little doubt most black people have a white discontent with how bad they was "used" by white people. But this is less about Black actor being a bad choice for how he acts, and more about he doesn't look the part, mainly due to his color. You would not be trying to defend him this strong, if he was up for Batman or Superman, and people have a issue with his selection based on color. Storm, yes, could be changed to look in the times of today as a black man. Same with his sister. But my point is this once again.... Comic fans want to keep more in line with how they are drawn in the comics. Especially when it comes to the main cast.

@shuabert I am sorry.. Did you not see how they had Captain America want to do anything he could to fight the "evil" for the good ole USA? Did you not see how he was always saying lines such as the cheesy 40's cliche of how he dreamed of going to the front lines, and serving his country? He says that to Peggy Carter when he is getting tired from all the PR stunts and not actually fighting. Also, did you not see how he is in Red White and Blue? That suit alone is a cry out to flag toting USA propaganda. Always has been when he was created by, guess what, two Jewish comic writers who was wanting to drum up support for the WW2 war, against Hitler before the US was even in the war.

Like I have said, as I have even seen others say... IF there was a established universe, for the FF to have characters black, longer than a single year. They I would, myself, be like... Ok.. This will be ok. I rather be with the traditional characters, but ok. So-so looks the part. So-so has experience playing a superhero. ect... But this is not about how a Black Actor or Actress are not good enough.. Its about they do not look the parts based on the comic's having them as white, and never as black. We are not talking a supporting character like Perry White here either. We are talking the main character. The reason for the film in the first place. And by the way. Fury was made to be a black person in the comics long before he was made one in the movies... Prime example in why that was ok, while a sudden change in look here, in my opinion, as well as many others, is not..

9 months agoby @gandoffFlag

18. David garcia

Well its gonna be pretty cool to see how this works out, probably since Fox saw how bad the other F4 sequels were, they'll go back to the drawing board. If it does turn out good, we'll see a crossover with the x-men, and maybe, maybe, the avengers.

9 months agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

19. Junior Roberts

@gandoff Johnny Depp was a "descendent"? Not trying to push the racial issue with last names such as Jordan and Wiley, I'm sure they a couple Caucasian descendants.

At the end of the day, I think the story is what is truly pivotal. Characters change all the time - race, gender, etc. If the story isn't honored and respected, THEN there's an issue. If we were really gonna get that touchy about character portrayal, we wouldn't have an Aussie playing Wolverine, a Canadian or a Brit playing Spiderman...

9 months agoby @junior-robertsFlag

20. Xenon

@kaagan they can't reboot Thor, then all the plans for future films will be for nothing.
    As of this, I do care a bit about what happens but Hollywood is Hollywood, we can't do anything about it unless we sign a petition.
    I have nothing against anyone unless how they treat me with disrespect. We are all human and we are all equal with different opinions.
    I'll watch this film and judge it.

9 months agoby @xenon56Flag

21. Taco-Ninja

OOOHHHHHH THAT'S RIGHT HUMAN TORCH IS HER BROTHER!

9 months agoby @Taco-NinjaFlag

22. Filter

@Joshua-Hollaway Thank you

9 months agoby @filterFlag

23. Nburgmei

I don't really care what race they're portrayed as because I don't think it's a particularly central part of their characters. In reality, there aren't too many characters, comic book/movie/book, that race actually matters unless it's a specific part of who they are. It wouldn't make sense for Black Panther to be white, but I don't think it'd matter too much if Luke Cage was. I don't care if Gandalf is black, Wolverine Asian, or War Machine white as long as the story makes sense and the actors do a good job.

Also, weren't most of the iconic comic book characters created during a time period heavily biased against blacks? Seems a little unfair.

9 months agoby @nburgmeiFlag

24. Kaagan

ok i can live with a reboot, but C'mon now, has there been an established universe where ANY of the FF were black? If not then there is no need to to create one now. Just stick with teh Characters they way there were created. i mean what's next they're gonna re-boot Thor and make him Chinese??

9 months agoby @kaaganFlag

25. Kaagan

@therealGoku don't act surprised racism
    never left

9 months agoby @kaaganFlag

26. Phoenix

@therealGoku I was not expecting that and I am going to go see the film when it comes out. I don't care who will be in it. I like all the people who will be in the movie. That is all. I am done.

9 months agoby @phoenix117Flag

27. JMP

i was real cool for Jamie Foxx to play as Electro but now this is getting alittle to far with the F4 but ill try to get used to it if it happens

9 months agoby @jmpFlag

28. The Real Goku

@phoenix117 then what was you problem with it exactly?

9 months agoby @therealGokuFlag