Sam Raimi Says 'Evil Dead 4' Announcement Was Forced by Fans

The filmmaker hopes to work on the script this summer with brother Ivan Raimi, but he never had any passion for the project until right now.
Sam Raimi has a lot of passion to make Evil Dead 4
Sam Raimi has a lot of passion to make Evil Dead 4
Last week, Oz: The Great and Powerful director Sam Raimi dropped big news. He plans on writing the screenplay for Evil Dead 4 this summer, along with his brother Ivan Raimi.

The filmmaker clarified his comments at a press conference, where he revealed he was somewhat goaded into giving that response. However, the director also said he has more passion than ever to make the sequel.

"Those guys made me say that. I am thinking about it but a crowd goes 'Come on Sam, do it!' So I said 'Okay, I guess I was talking to my brother about it.' But I feel like I was pushed into saying that, a little bit. In the hallway today I joked with Ivan (Raimi) [his brother] "Get working on that script!" but I really don't know.

I'm afraid that every time I talk about it people get really mad at me when I don't follow through with it. I would like to work on the script over the summer, that much is true. But the reason to come back and do it again is only that they're making me, those fans.

I was saying to Ivan 'Why do they stay on this thing? Why do they keep at it?' He said 'They want to make a movie. You're a filmmaker and your fans are asking you to make the movie. What are you, an idiot? Make the movie!' I guess there's something I don't see. It makes sense when Ivan says it... but I didn't have a tremendous amount of passion until right now to bring to it.

I love working with Bruce Campbell and Rob Tapert, I have so much fun making those movies, but the fans are really forcing me into it."

Sam Raimi's latest film, Oz: The Great and Powerful, opens nationwide on March 8. We'll keep you posted with any updates on the status of Evil Dead 4 as soon as more information is released. The Evil Dead remake which Sam Raimi produced arrives in theaters April 5.

Army of Darkness 2 comes to theaters in 2016 and stars Bruce Campbell. The film is directed by Sam Raimi.

1. Vanboy

All naysayers be damned. I for one have wanted this sequel since 1993. Only "Drag Me To Hell" has kept my satisfied until now. All that wasted time. Bruce better hit the gym. When fans clamor for something, they should just do it. I hope Raimi goes back to the feel of the original, as opposed to the action and too funny type of movie that was AOD. I think somewhere between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II, as far as the comedy goes, would be good. This is very awesome that this is being made, although the reboot will be coming soon. Sorry, but Evil Dead is not Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell as Ash spouting great one liners or even one words for that matter. "Work shed!" "Chainsaaaaw".

1 year agoby @vanboyFlag

2. LuxoIII

@corey I wouldn't call it a fail because he never actually announced it. I think fans and media kind of put those words into his mouth. Yeah, the media twisting the facts?! Unbelievable!

1 year agoby @brady1138Flag

3. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Fanboys ALWAYS want more. :-P

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

4. Ghostman

@brady1138 Live Free or Die Hard is a masterpiece compared to that piece of sh*t fifth movie.

As for this "Evil Dead 4" nothing has been officially confirmed, Raimi is only speculating about doing it. Chances are it won't happen. Having a reboot to launch a new franchise and a sequel that continues the old franchise happening at the same time feels weird.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

5. Writer220

Of course the fans want a 4th and I would love to see it as well but if Sam doesn't want to do it then don't.

1 year agoby @writer220Flag

6. Corey W.

@brady1138 I'm not on Team Reboot either. But to make a reboot then announce a sequel to the original trilogy right before the reboot is to come out is just a huge fail.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

7. LuxoIII

@corey Yeah, the failures of Live Free or Die Hard, Star Wars--Episode I, and Indiana Jones 4 don't exactly make things look too optimistic. I think this reboot is the right way to go.

1 year agoby @brady1138Flag

8. carlosvs.theworld

you mean like when the producers made you half-ass venom "story" into SM3....?

1 year agoby @symbiote09Flag

9. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Let's hope the script is not rushed too much.

1 year agoby @cryptFlag

10. ROFLitschristian

Translation: since fans will see it regardless, I'll make it because I can half-ass it and still rake in as much dough as possible from them...

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

11. Corey W.

The days and hype leading up to the remake is obviously the reason Raimi wants to do another, not the "fans". I think him making a 4th is a fail idea and it'll probably suck. A 4th film from a retired franchise? Bleh, I say. The remake is already too much.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

12. Corey W.

I think this year's reboot will be enough Evil Dead to hold me for a long, long time. Franchise isn't good enough for me to hop around in excitement over Raimi announcing a 4th one. Bleh I say.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

13. ridgl

sounds like Steven Spielberg during Indy 4.

1 year agoby @ridglFlag

14. CelluloidDreams

LOL!!....Yeah blame the fans on your crap!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

but when the fans were clamouring for a part 4 in the past or especially with the announcment of the ramek...that wasnt enough. It was just the fans that wanted it right now...

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

16. SherlockHolmes2009

I for one would love to see a Evil Dead 4 but I dont want it rushed and having it come out half-assed

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

17. thedude-abides

Ah, the ol', "The fans made me do it," excuse.

Fans have been wanting a sequel for years. If you wanna make the movie, make the movie; don't "blame" the fans for getting in your ear about something you already know to be the case.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

18. Mr.K

Makes sense since a lot of Evil Dead fans were desperate for an Evil Dead 4 movie after Army Of Darkness ended on a cliffhanger. They should calm the f*ck down already.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag