Ryan Reynolds Confirmed as 'Highlander'

The 'Green Lantern' star will play the immortal Connor McLeod in director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo's remake for Summit Entertainment.
Ryan Reynolds is confirmed as the Highlander
Ryan Reynolds is confirmed as the Highlander
Ryan Reynolds has officially signed on to star in the Highlander remake for Summit Entertainment and director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

We reported last month that the actor was a front runner for the role of Connor McLeod, a sword-wielding Scotsman who is one of the last immortal warriors known as Highlanders. After nearly a month's worth of negotiations, the deal is finally sealed for the Green Lantern star to portray this iconic character. He is no stranger to swordplay either, having played Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is directing, and he is also in talks to rewrite the screenplay by Iron Man scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. Neal H. Moritz and Peter S. Davis are producing.

Christopher Lambert first portrayed Connor McLeod in the 1986 adventure Highlander, that spawned the sequels Highlander II: The Quickening, Highlander: The Final Dimension, Highlander: Endgame, Highlander: The Source, Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, along with the Highlander TV series that ran for six seasons.

Highlander comes to theaters in 2014 and stars Ryan Reynolds. The film is directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

1. Erin Williams

Why Ryan Reynolds? As if ruining my favorite movie isn't bad enough...

2 years agoby @Erin-WilliamsFlag

2. David Langway

Oh lords I am going to be sick. This is sacrilege! How many characters is he going to be allowed to brutalize and wreck? Please someone pass a law preventing this travesty from taking place.

2 years agoby @David-LangwayFlag

3. Salemwolf711

damn it!

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

4. Jay.A.Ottley

Sorry I've now officially lost all hope for this movie to be serious, I would prefer someone more of an Irish/Scottish heritage but none the less someone that fits the role.

I was hoping to hear Ralph Fiennes, Clive Owen or Gerald Butler being cast in this as the bad guy and maybe Daniel Radcliffe or Robert Pattinson as Connor Mcleod

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

5. Mr. Fixit

Butler would be a cool bad guy, but not the main character. Ryan Reynolds is more like Connor than Statham and Butler. Statham would suck in this role. They would expect to add way too much martial arts action which would take away from the sword fights. Plus he is too old to pull off the character. Duncan was the martial artist, not Connor. As a fan of the Highlander movie (not the franchise that spawned crappy sequels) I am all for a reboot, but they need to stay clear of the stories that followed the original, and go their own way.

2 years agoby @mrfixitFlag

6. incmob

please ryan reynolds, for the love of god... any god... stop making these films and starring as the iconic characters... you are kicking my ass.

2 years agoby @incmobFlag

7. Xenon

get Gerard Butler

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

8. megaspencer10

But what about Dead Pool move is that still a option?

2 years agoby @megaspencer10Flag

How about getting a REAL Highlander to play the highlander...

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

10. psychobilly13

No thnx buddy

2 years agoby @psychobilly13Flag

11. Pjwolsker

Ryan Reynolds is a great actor. He can do more then just comedy. Dont believe me? Then go watch Buried.. he did a pretty good job in that one.

2 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

12. psychobilly13

Hahaha! He killed that deadthbloke or deathcoat character her played in the wolverine movie. He destroyed green lantern and now highlander. Reynolds is a walking talking digestive trac......he turns everything he touches into sh*t.

2 years agoby @psychobilly13Flag

13. Luis Mota

lol highlander

2 years agoby @Luis-MotaFlag

14. K.Guy

Such a typical choice -_-

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

15. artkid04

eeeeh, I'd go for Ryan Gosling instead, I just feel Ryan Reynolds is too much a comedian actor, then again I never saw Safe House

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

16. SFXlights

Please Holllywood! No more remake or Reboots! I have a idea! How about a new idea!!

2 years agoby @SFXlightsFlag

17. Newtron

Just because Reynolds played Dead Pool, doesn't mean he's gonna be good for this role. First off, Reynolds doesn't impress me too much as an actor...comedic actor, yes, but dramatic? I'm not so sure. But who knows? It may work. He's gonna have to bring it, because there's more to Conner McLeod than sword play, and the first film is pretty classic...(singing) "Waaaant, to liiiiive, forevahhhhh...Waaaant, to liiiiive, forevahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" HA HA Sorry, I couldn't help myself :D

2 years agoby @newtronFlag

18. Newtron

@jasdjqs : WOW. Gerard Butler would have been great for that role.

2 years agoby @newtronFlag

19. jasdjqs

Gerald Butler will be good for that roll, love the first Highlander

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

20. TRUVISION82

I think Jason Statham woulda been perfect

2 years agoby @truvision82Flag

21. Equialuv

one word - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years agoby @equialuvFlag

22. Smallville

I like rayn but I can't see him as conor I think they should have gotten someone else maybe a no namer actor

2 years agoby @smallvilleFlag

23. Jimthar

was never a huge fan of the original series. maybe a remake will change my mind. who knows. could be good.

2 years agoby @jimtharFlag

24. Xenon

rebooting it is just gay, just continue it in the same universe.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

25. D4nger

does anyone think ryan reynolds can even pull off a scottish accent? this will fail horribly

2 years agoby @d4ngerFlag

26. Zak Lee Ferguson

He isnt an action movie star- better off in the league of indie dramas or low budgeted thrills or just a toy boy action figurine for comedies- he isnt an action man at all- hes all and just the same- a very capable actor i must say but- HIGHLANDER- honestly- i dont even think highly of the orignal, though i might prefer this-0 with Reynolds doing a Scots accent- i think not!

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

27. Gandoff

@bawnian-dexeus You said it. Going to be a strech of hard movies for him. But even though I don't mind him in this, I kinda wish someone else was put in it. I have a hard time seeing Ryan do a fake Scottish accent for this film. Why not use Collin Ferrell, Gerald Butler?

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

28. renodc

What is it with studios and their fixation on this guy being a mega action star? Thus far he hasn't proven himself at the box office yet.

2 years agoby @renodcFlag

Green Lantern, Deadpool and now Highlander. Tough schedule

30. Ledouchee

@thedude1 there can be only ONE!

2 years agoby @ledoucheeFlag