Russell Crowe to Portray Bill Hicks?

Based on the life of the comedian who died of cancer at age 32.
The Sydney Morning Herald has confirmed the postponement of Russell Crowe's upcoming project, Nottingham, and it looks like he might star in a project based on the life of comedian Bill Hicks:

The Oscar winner said it would be at least seven months before the film gets off the ground in England, allowing him to spend more time at his Woolloomooloo home with wife, Danielle Spencer, and sons, Charlie, 4, and Tennyson, 2, and working on other projects.

"I have another project based on the life of comedian Bill Hicks, which is going from treatment to draft stage with Kiwi writer Mark Staufer."

It is understood he is considering playing the main role of Hicks - a controversial and brilliant American comedian who battled drug and alcohol abuse before dying from cancer at 32. Crowe confirmed Nottingham would not go ahead until March next year because director Sir Ridley Scott wanted the leaves on the trees in England's Sherwood Forest to be the right colour.

So there you have it. Nottingham does not start production until March, and a movie based on the life of Bill Hicks might be right around the corner.

1. Moviemaster75

i dont think that he can pull it off

6 years agoby @moviemaster75Flag

2. -comrade-

Why are they doing a bill hicks movie? I mean, i love the guy, but was his life really that interesting?

But Russell Crowe with a bit of weight tacked on pretty much IS Bill Hicks.

6 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

3. Err

i found a pic of crowe, where with a little makeup he could look like hicks, i just think its wrong.
    besides that i was thinking about the 'american gladiators' bit, and how ironic that he should be portrayed by a guy who got an award for playing a gladiator.

im flexible enough to wait and see how this turns out, but off hand it seems like an off-putting idea.

6 years agoby @err2005Flag

4. Brian

Yeah. Crowe. Perfect.

6 years agoby @brianFlag

5. Nyfresh

okay u guys do make some good points

#1 hoisin - can crowe really do funny???
    #2 err - it is kinda f*ck'd up that Bill Hicks is being portrayed by an australian actor

I for one really do like the way Russell Crowe acts, for me hes one of the best, he can pretty much do any type of role and its gonna b cool to see him do a funny role but im kinda skeptical with this one, i dont know, lets wait and see

6 years agoby @leo16Flag

6. Phil Mata

I can't see Crowe as Hicks. Either he earns the role or not, I'm definitely gonna be looking forward to hearing what Maynard James Keenan has to say about the film if it becomes a reality and is released.

6 years agoby @phil-mataFlag

7. The Dark Knight

good for him

6 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

8. ...YeahButTheBookWasBetter

Hicks was amazing, I think Crowe can do him justice, then again what role cant he play...maybe batman

6 years agoby @theboywhocriedsequelFlag

9. Err

i heard that if you look into a mirror in a dark room and say bill hicks' name three times, you can feel someone pulling your head "back, and to the left".

6 years agoby @err2005Flag

10. Err

bill hicks, god damn it, bill hicks.
    i wonder how he would feel about being portrayed by an australian action movie type guy.

dont get me wrong i like russell crowe, but this is bill hicks were talking about here.

6 years agoby @err2005Flag

11. Vamp

Hmmm, I'm not sure, I wasn't too fond of Gladiator, then again, that wasn't a comedy. This sounds like it might work.

6 years agoby @vampire2000Flag

12. Stiles

He's had some amusing moments in film ("lesser of two weavels" springs to mind), but playing Bill Hicks, who in my humble opinion was THE greatest stand up the world has seen will be a stretch.

But then Crowe is a deserved oscar winning actor, so I'm sure he can "act" funny.

6 years agoby @stilesFlag

13. Timmy

I think he can hoisin

6 years agoby @timmyFlag

14. Stiles

Crowe can do angry, but can he do funny?

6 years agoby @stilesFlag