Ridley Scott to Direct 'Monopoly'

Pamela Pettler will write the screenplay for the board game adaptation.
The Hasbro-Universal collaboration Monopoly is passing go and collecting $200 after having cemented two key players in the film adaptation. Pamela Pettler has been set to write the screenplay, and Ridley Scott has now been officially attached to direct the project.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Pettler's writing credits include Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, Gil Kenan's Monster House and the upcoming animated adventure 9, produced by Burton and Timur Bekmambetov.

And Ridley Scott, who has been attached as a producer on Monopoly will direct with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic Blade Runner.

In addition to Scott, Giannina Facio and Hasbro's Brian Goldner are also producing the movie, which will shape a narrative out of the iconic real-estate game. Lawrence Grey will oversee for Universal and Bennett Schneir will oversee for Hasbro.

Monopoly marks the latest Hasbro property to look to pass go and head to the big screen. Board games and branded properties have become more attractive as studios look to mitigate risk by finding built-in audiences.

No production date has been set.

1. ChuckConnors

They should get Anthony Hopkins to play the Monopoly guy. If they give him that look he had in the movie "The Road to Welville" he'ld look just like the Monopoly guy.

6 years agoby @chuckconnorsFlag

2. THE JOKER

MOUSE TRAP!!!

6 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

3. -comrade-

What the f*ck?

6 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

4. SuperCanayaZ

Monopoly? Really?. Oh Good.

6 years agoby @supercanayazFlag

5. Escapist

Or Scrabble? ''Yippekaiyay! How about that? dat will beat your supercalifragilisticexpialidocious anyday. Oh wait, it doesn't. Oh man!''

6 years agoby @escapistFlag

6. Phatlightning

good, I'm glad there making this movie, but I would have liked to see this set in an older time, not futuristic.. time when monopoly's WERE held.. kind of like a Gangs of New York type deal.. that would have been awesome. Where blood and money run rampant through the streets in a fight to control all, much like Monopoly really is. I have never once played a game of Monopoly and have it not get hostile.

6 years agoby @sxers2k1Flag

7. Shelley

How about Trivial Pursuit or Yahtzee?

6 years agoby @shelleyFlag

8. THE JOKER

And the battleship! I am curious about this. How they will incorporate the properties especially board walk and park place. You know McDonalds has to be funding this film as well. you damn well they are

6 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

9. MovieCritique00

I know this is off topic, but can anyone please tell me what Jigsaw falls into that disfigures his face, in paunisher war zone movie trailer.

6 years agoby @moviecritique00Flag

10. JR

the car!

6 years agoby @supbitchFlag

11. Diaigma

I wanna know who's going to play the shoe!

6 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

12. razorglove1428

It worked for Clue...

6 years agoby @razorglove1428Flag

13. slysnide

What the hell? The Monpoly Movie? Now I've seen everything! lol! I wonder who they're setting their sites on to play the Monopoly guy?

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

I can see Guy Ritchie directing a twisted cool retro version of "Life".

6 years agoby @narratorFlag

I agree Vis. It could be a mix of "speed racer", and "wall street". Seriously this could be something.

6 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. THE JOKER

actually did and proved i did with my comment proving my knowledge on Mr. Scott by saying i hope he recruits Hans Zimmer to do the music. Did you read the comments carefully???? And they are right it has opened the doors for other board games to make movies. It happened with comic books, it happened with books, it happened with video games and it will happen with this now. Other games aren't going to sit and let this happen. And actually monopoly isnt even the board game movie to kick it all off. This has been an idea for awhile after Clue went to the silver screen. No one knew how to do it tho

6 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

17. T.Clark

Did you guys even read the article? Granted, I don't read most articles, but this was so unbelievable and short that I felt an urge to read it. You instantly think "Monopoly movie...LAME!," but there's a story set in place being directed by one of the best. Facebook movie-now THAT'S lame. A futuristic Monopoly movie directed by Ridley Scott-has potential.

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

18. Escapist

OMDS! Monopoly? How did he come up with that? Next will be Mouse Trap and Trivial Pursuit. Haha. oh i can see it now......'If you answer this question correctly, you'll live to see the history wedge'.

6 years agoby @escapistFlag

19. THE JOKER

Me too lol. Ron Howard for Snakes and Ladders!!! I hope Scott recruits his usual man for the music, Han Zimmer

6 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

20. T.Clark

I cold actually see Burton directing Candy Land lol

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

21. SMRTALEC

so hollywood's gone from comic books to video games to graphic novels to anime and now its board games??? wtf?!

following this trend will be Candy Land directed by Tim Burton ahahaha

6 years agoby @smrtalecFlag

22. ShadowfoxSC

what next there going to push for a guitar hero or rock band movie also??

6 years agoby @shadowscFlag

23. Chad Vital

Next up, Operation! The whole movie consists of a doctor operating on patients and he can't touch their inner side walls or the shock collar around his neck will shock him silly! Whoo! Oh waitm, I better shut up, I'm giving Hollywood ideas...

6 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

24. ZanyZap

Here's a good saying: "F*ck a dead duck!"
    Cause I don't know what the hell this is. In the words of Cell: 'Bizzare' {read Err's comment by the way}

6 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

25. ScottFL386

There is the old saying: "If you have nothing nice to say, then do not say it"....

This movie makes this statement 100% truth...

6 years agoby @scottfl386Flag

26. outlaw Returns

Scott was one of the last people that I thought would direct this.In fact I thought the whole idea of making a Monopoly movie was a joke!Why is Hollywood getting ideas from products now?So should this mean that I should not be suprised when I hear a Tony the Tiger movie in works!JK

6 years agoby @memo17Flag

27. The Dark Knight

???WWHHHAAAATTTT???? Ridley Scott is doing this film GO GET Burton oh yeah hes doing Alice in Wonderland! WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON LOL..

6 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag