Quentin Tarantino Eyes 'Killer Crow' as a Follow-up to 'Django Unchained'

The director reveals new details about a potential project that will bring back the 'Inglorious Basterds'.
Quentin Tarantino eyes Killer Crow as his next project
Quentin Tarantino eyes Killer Crow as his next project
If Quentin Tarantino has his way, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained will serve as the first two films in a thematic trilogy, tied together by their revisionist roots in history. Today, the director has revealed new details about the third film in this series, which is tentatively titled Killer Crow.

Most of the screenplay is already written, and may serve as Quentin Tarantino's next project. The drama will follow a group of black soldiers who go AWOL during World War II. The story actually started out as a segment of Inglourious Basterds, way back when it was being envisioned as a television mini-series. If the movie moves forward, we can expect to see characters from Inglourious Basterds making a return to the screen.

Here is what Quentin Tarantino had to say about Killer Crow.

"My original idea for Inglourious Basterds way back when was that this [would be] a huge story that included the [smaller] story that you saw in the film, but also followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f-ked over by the American military and kind of go apes-t. They basically - the way Lt. Aldo Raines (Brad Pitt) and the Basterds are having an "Apache resistance" - [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland.

So that was always going to be part of it. And I was going to do it as a miniseries, and that was going to be one of the big storylines. When I decided to try to turn it into a movie, that was a section I had to take out to help tame my material. I have most of that written. It's ready to go; I just have to write the second half of it...That would be the third of the trilogy. It would be [connected to] Inglourious Basterds, too, because Inglourious Basterds are in it, but it is about the soldiers. It would be called Killer Crow or something like that."

As Quentin Tarantino likes to talk up many projects before choosing one to move forward on, its tough to tell if this will be his next project, or if his attention will be pulled elsewhere in the coming months. The director is planning a move to the small screen sometime in the near future.

Killer Crow comes to theaters in 2015. The film is directed by Quentin Tarantino.

Whatever. He's one of the few that I don't care what the material is, I'll pay to see it.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

2. Justice Kowaleski

Django was a Phenomenal film it surprised the hell out of me very simple yet effective

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

3. justatadmatt

still need to see django...on the top of my list with silver linings playbook.

2 years agoby @justatadmattFlag

4. Xenon

I wish he would make a fantasy film without guns because I find every film he has made so far is the same film.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

Love this idea.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

6. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

I can't wait to see Django Unchained! And I'm always happy when I hear of a new Tarantino project.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

7. Newtron

I don't see the connection...

2 years agoby @newtronFlag

8. Nicholaus XX

I'm all for revisiting the universe of "Inglourious Basterds", but I don't like the sound of this. Regardless, until I see a trailer, and more material, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

9. thedude-abides

Quentin mentioned doing a Basterds prequel 3 years ago on Charlie Rose while promoting the first film. Essentially, he's saying the same thing here. He'd be summing up the trilogy by incorporating a prequel to Inglourious Basterds.

Just as he was quoted in this interview, he echoed similar sentiments to Rose, revealing that Basterds was originally designed to be a miniseries, and that with the excess material, he was going to use it to make a prequel, highlighting more of the Basterds exploits prior to when the first film took place. So, in essence, the title of the project aside, this is nothing new.

@christopher-lino Kill Bill 3 is in the pre-production phase, soon to move into production. I'd count on that happening before I would a Basterds prequel.

@bawnian-dexeus Lol. I'm guessing by Tyler Perry syndrome you mean he keeps revisiting the same type of story over and over, which may indeed be the case. I'm of the thinking, however, that this was QT's intention all along, as sort of his own take on the Man With No Name Trilogy. Each film was similar, incorporating many of the same actors and storylines throughout, but distinct in their own right. That's my thinking, anyway. After a Basterds prequel and KB3, I'd look to see something new from Tarantino. Like you said, just give it time :)

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@narrator Give it time, he'll come around

Well, seems he's developed some Tyler Perry syndrome, but I'm in all the same. Hell, we already know Samuel L. Jackson is one of those black troops

12. Christopher Lino

So no Kill Bill Vol. 3

2 years agoby @christopher-linoFlag

13. Replicant

@narrator Funny that you mention that, cus he was on the Craig Ferguson show last week and they were talking about Prometheus, and I got pissed that Craig didn't ask him if he would ever consider doing a sci-fi movie.

I still think I'd rather watch him make another historical (or semi-historical) in tone with Basterds and Django, but not necessarily Killer Crow, and sort of complete "a trilogy" in that style. But I definitely want to see another one of his crime films too...

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

I'd really rather see him take on a science fiction or fantasy project instead of this. Kill Bill was a close-to superhero film, he's a legendary auteur among the crime-thrillers class, and he's now made his mark on both the ol' west and the war genre. Time for something new, Quentin? Perhaps a Battle Royale-esque project that you were anxious to make a while ago?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag