Patrick Swayze Passes Away at 57

The actor succumbed to pancreatic cancer earlier today in Los Angeles.
Patrick Swayze Passes Away at 57
Patrick Swayze Passes Away at 57
Hollywood actor Patrick Swayze, who shot to international stardom with the 1980s classic Dirty Dancing, has died earlier today at the age of 57.

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said a statement released by his publicist.

Swayze had been fighting pancreatic cancer since being diagnosed with the disease in March 2008. He had said in an interview with Barbara Walters this past January that it "seemed likely" he would live for at least two more years.

Swayze became an international sensation after the release of the 1987 sleeper hit Dirty Dancing, which lead to other wide-ranging films like the cult classic Road House, the romantic drama Ghost and the action thriller Point Break.

1. HorrorHound

R.I.P.

5 years agoby @donnieFlag

2. Newkill3000

Kanye West: Yo Patrick Swayze, I know you just died and all and Imma let you finish, but Michael Jackson had the best death of all time. Of All Time!!

5 years agoby @newkill200Flag

3. Newkill3000

Johnny Utah finally gets his man. LOL.

5 years agoby @newkill200Flag

4. orochimaru

Patrick Swayze, a true gentleman and a brave man. Thank you so much for the many films you did to make our lives more happier. You're gone, but never be forgotten. Now, you're in peace in the loving company of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    My deepest condolences to his wife, family and friends.

5 years agoby @orochimaruFlag

5. SCREENWRITER

Damn, this sucks. You will be missed. R.I.P. You've been in many great movies and now your gone.

5 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

6. Brainiac

damn, that is sad. at least his suffering is over and he is at peace now. but still damn that sucks.

5 years agoby @thebdFlag

7. Chicolini

R.I.P.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!

5 years agoby @chicoliniFlag

8. Hauer

R.I.P. Patrick. I know that light from haven in Ghost is upon you now.

5 years agoby @hauerFlag

9. firstonetodieloses

RIP patrick swayze. your movies will live on for a long time. man, this sucks def. watching point break at some point today

5 years agoby @firstonetodielosesFlag

10. Thomas S. Arashikage

R.I.P. Patrick... R.I.P.

5 years agoby @myownriskFlag

11. ed_wood

RIP Mr. Swayze, you will be missed.

5 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

12. HELLANDBACK

R..I..P .. Patrick Swayze .. gone but not Forgotten !!

5 years agoby @hellandbackFlag

13. peanuts and other poisons

Yes he was a great actor,now I know what type of day I'm gonna have a pretty sh*tty one coming on here and finding this terrible news.Yet,as in cases like this one.There is a brighter side.His suffering is over,i know it seems heartless to say such a thing,but I've seen the type of pain something like this can cause.I lost an uncle just two weeks ago to this same bastard cancer.

R.I.P Patrick Swayze.May god and his angels great you with open arms as you so rightfuly deserve

5 years agoby @vendetta1Flag

14. Bazinga21

R.I.P Patrick Swayze! You will be missed. I will always remember you when I when I watch you in Dirty Dancing, Ghost or your TV series 'The Beast' or everytime I hear 'She's Like The Wind'.

5 years agoby @katherine2007Flag

15. T.Clark

sigh...

5 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

16. Marcus-07

He knew what was coming and he was strong. He fought til the end... R.I.P. Patrick Swayze

5 years agoby @marcus-07Flag

17. Chad Vital

Rest in peace pat. We will always remember you in one of the greatest movies alive... Point Break.

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

18. AnnoyingFilmCritic

Damn...this sux, just found out. Another good actor/celebrity that joins too many passing this year alone. He wasn't one of my favorite actors, but, liked him in his early work: The Outsiders, Red Dawn, Road House (for kitsch fun) & Point Break! A great 80's action classic that had him playing the leader of a pack of bankrobbing surfers who lived by a Nike "Just Do it" code against Keanu Reeves's former football hero FBI detective who capitulates to the "bad guy" dynamic. Point Break was a action movie mold that other movies copied (like The Fast & Furious) where an undercover cop infiltrates an extreme sport clique of criminals. Just watched that two weeks ago...I never would have thought that while watching him then, roll banks, surf and skydive would pass away so soon.

I undertand that he was putting up a hell of a fight, battling pancreatic cancer, which is one, if not has the highest mortality rate. He still went to work on his TV show, The Beast, this past year, but, could not promote it adequately like any show needs due to his therapy/medicine regimen. He even portrayed a tranny in the comedy To Wong Fu: Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar...Talk about mettle.

This guy was a good guy, a good actor, a family man...and a badass in "Point Break!"

R.I.P. Mr. Swayze.

5 years agoby @annoyingfilmcriticFlag

19. wizdome

R.I.P to another great actor - Some Of My Swayze favourites: Youngblood, Ghost, Point Break, Red Dawn and City Of Joy. (I've never seen Dirty Dancing!)

5 years agoby @wizdomeFlag

20. William A Holla

R.I.P.......P. Swayze u were a gr8 actor

5 years agoby @willturpin323Flag

21. Davon's Movieweb

My he Rest In Peace.

5 years agoby @davon29Flag

22. Movie_jedi

i loved point break and next of kin. great actor. RIP

5 years agoby @movie-jediFlag

23. CB Junior

His legacy includes such great classics such as Dirty Dancing and above all, Ghost.
    You will be greatly missed, Patrick.

R.I.P.

5 years agoby @cbjuniorFlag

24. GK

He fought it as hard as he could. This is really sad news.

RIP Patrick Swayze. He'll never be forgotten.

5 years agoby @indianajonesFlag

25. CelluloidDreams

Do not grieve at the passing of mortality,for life's but a thing of terrible gravity. And the planets gravitate around you, and the stars shall dance about you,and the angels in heaven adore you,and the saints all stand and applaud you.

So faraway, so faraway and yet so close.

Nick Cave, "Far Away, So Close"

5 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

26. supermanvenom

This is really sad news, i just watched Dirty dancing and Road house. Two of the best movies ever. R.I.P Patrick Swayze.

5 years agoby @supermanvenomFlag

27. Jimthar

i just found out about this a lil while ago. a friend texted me the news. very sad the way he was the last few years. not befitting a man like that. but at least he's not in pain anymore. RIP patrick. you will be missed.

5 years agoby @jimtharFlag

28. Batman Rules !!!

R.i.p Patrick :(

5 years agoby @the-fallenFlag

29. artkid04

He was a strong fighter, rest in peace Patrick

5 years agoby @artkid04Flag

30. Diaigma

I almost cried when I read this. Seriously. One of my childhood idols.

He played a ghost, but now he knows what its really like on the other side. We'll miss you in our dimension, Mr. Swayze. You fought a good fight and your legacy will live on. R.I.P, friend.

5 years agoby @diaigmaFlag