Neil Burger Takes 'Uncharted: Drake's Fortune'

The director will also write this revamped video game adaptation originally set to star Mark Walberg.
Neil Burger to direct Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Neil Burger to direct Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
The big screen video game adaptation Uncharted: Drake's Fortune has finally found a replacement for departed director David O. Russell in Limitless' Neil Burger (not to be confused with the faux-Borscht Belt comedian Neil Hamburger).

It is unclear at this time if Mark Wahlberg, who was original set to star in David O. Russell's version of the project, will stay on board. It was rumored that the actor had dropped out alongside his The Fighter collaborator. But that may not be the case.

Sony apparently nabbed Neil Burger because they were impressed with his fresh take on the original script, which was penned by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer.

Sony has high hopes that Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will become a franchise tentpole for the company in the same vein as Indiana Jones.

Uncharted comes to theaters June 10th, 2016. The film is directed by Seth Gordon.

Sources: Variety

1. Xenon

No Mark, though I do enjoy him in certain films he just doesn't fit.
    They should either get Nathan Fillion or Nathan the voice actor.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

2. CBF

Alright so why no updates on this? Over a year ago this was announced? What's up with Neil Burger, the guy still directing this or what?

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@thedude-abides Your right i think it was a biut exploitative and i think it was sort of poking fun at that genre. But i see what you mean.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

4. Movie_jedi815

please...no Mark Wahlberg! Stick to the original story! Nathan Filion as Drake! Im good with Scarlett Johansson for Elena!

3 years agoby @movie-jedi815Flag

5. Nautical

sounds good to me

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

6. Cripple

Awesome, Burger is a fantastic choice.

3 years agoby @crippleFlag

7. Dyld021

@avian005 agreed

3 years agoby @dyld021Flag

8. Avian

Base it off the game, Nathan Fillion please.

3 years agoby @avian005Flag

9. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

i like Mark Wahlberg and the Uncharted games, but i dont think im going to like this movie.

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

I like noir, and I enjoyed Sin City for what it was - a comic-book adaption first, a neo-noir piece second. That may sound stupid, but it makes judging it a helluva lot easier. Besides, after reading Miller's "Ronin", I never expected his films to strictly stay within a single genre's bounds and parameters.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

11. thedude-abides

@dan1 LMAO!! Yes ok!

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides No, not ok. :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

13. thedude-abides

@skywise I liked Sin City okay. I just didn't think it did justice to the noir/neo-noir genre. It was almost more exploitation to me than anything. But I liked it okay.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

14. Major Tom

I haven't seen any of Burger's movies (other than a little of the Illusionist) but I hope he makes this sound more exciting that Russell's "vision."

3 years agoby @movie-nutFlag

As long as his "fresh take" is translation for "sticking much closer to the source material". If not, this guy can f*ck right off, too.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

This could be interesting. hell this might be better than Russell's version.

@thedude-abides It makes me sad to hear you hated Sin City so much because those stories were translated very well from Miller's pages and artwork to the screen. I know Miller is not for everyone but the accuracy and care they put into making his comicbook come alive was fantastic.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

17. Salem6777

sweet

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

18. Dyld021

I think nathan fillion would be perfect. Whenever i played the game i kind of imagined him as drake.

3 years agoby @dyld021Flag

19. K-Man

Great replacement.....I think that is suiting for this. I like it!

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

20. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Well, that's fair enough. For the record, I consider Film Noir and Neo-Noir the same thing, even though they're technically not. I love them both equally, lol.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides Well, for starters, Sin City belongs to a subgenre of film noir called Neo-Noir, which is essentially taking modern elements that were not allowed in films of the 40's and 50's, and placing them into the film. That's why some things don't mesh with what is regarded as the norm for Noir. Frank Miller created a noirish world, but added cannibalistic serial killers like Kevin (think a young Hannibal Lecter), a corrupt churchman who "dines with Kevin (a corrupt religious leader nowadays? old hat. In the 40's? Unheard of). And of course, prostitutes that are actually called prostitutes. Each of the three tales are shown with brilliance, and have just enough to connect them to keep the story flowing in a brisk manner. Hartigan is representative of how, even in the pit of Hell, a good man may surface to do some good, while Marv, ugly on the outside, shows that even the monstrous have hearts. That's all I got for now. I really don't want to go further, otherwise I may as well write a damn review lol.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

22. thedude-abides

@ejk1 I should say that my point with having a great director, though, is that I firmly believe if they found a director who truly knew what the video game was about, and what fans of the games wanted to see, then the genre would be infinitely better off.

Nobody has ever adapted a book without first having read it. That couldn't be more untrue for the video game genre. In fact, I dare say it's closer to the exact opposite. I would bet the house very few people in charge of heading video game adaptions have ever played the games. And therein lies the disconnect.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

23. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Okay, that makes sense. My biggest problem with them are the drastic alterations made to the stories. They basically demolish anything and everything that had to do with the video game, create an entirely different story, then slap the proverbial lunchbox label on the film to get fans of the video game involved.

As for the Sin City thing, lol. I'd be more than happy to hear why, though.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides And as for Sin City, I could get into why I disagree, but I'll just leave it at "I strongly disagree" :P

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

@thedude-abides My distaste for them has nothing to do with director or cast. It has to do with the loss of interaction. After playing a truly involving game, where we see a story, and make it play out, a movie comes along, and the action that we created is now playing out for us without our input. It feels like I've been left out of the cold.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

26. thedude-abides

And Sin City was borderline terrible. Maybe not to comic books, but it was an abomination to Film Noir (my favorite genre; I should know).

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

27. thedude-abides

@ejk1 That's entirely true, but they've also been in circulation a lot longer. Those films you mentioned are all no more than 7 year old. I think it's just a difference of having a great/good director on board to helm the right project. No video game adaptation has ever had a decent director, let alone a great one. We should wait until at least one video game adaptation gets a director like Chris Nolan to helm the genre before levying final judgement, lol.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@ejk1 And I had to watch Sin City a second time to enjoy it. First time it was weird for me. Then I appreciated it more the second run.

@thedude-abides The difference between the two genres? Comic book films can be great TDK, Spider-Man 2, and Sin City are testaments to that fact.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

30. RojoDiablo

I'm hopeful this will be a solid flick with or without Marky Mark in it. I like Damon for sure and would be fine with him in it but I like Wahlberg as well.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag