Michael Shannon Says 'Man of Steel' Features Motion-Capture General Zod

The actor confirms he will be portraying the villainous character in the 'humiliating garment' for Zack Snyder's superhero tale.
Michael Shannon confirms General Zod motion-capture in Man of Steel
Michael Shannon confirms General Zod motion-capture in Man of Steel
During the Man of Steel's production in Plano, Illinois a few weeks ago, new set photos revealed Antje Traue, who plays General Zod's sidekick, Faora. The actress was spotted next to an actor in a motion-capture suit, which lead many to speculate if Michael Shannon's General Zod will be portrayed through motion-capture. The actor confirmed that he is utilizing the motion-capture suits for the character, while doing press for his new movie Take Shelter. Here's what he had to say below.

"Yeah, it's one of the most humiliating garments that exists in the known universe, yes. It's very tight. It has a variety of different colors and shapes on it and it makes you feel like you're the court jester. And it's funny because when I met with Zack (Snyder) we were talking about it before it started and he mentioned that there was going to be a lot of CGI, or whatever. I said, 'Just don't make me wear one of those silly suits.'

He said, 'Oh, yeah, don't worry, I know exactly what you're talking about.'

I was like, 'It's going to be really hard for me to be intimidating if I have to wear one of those silly suits.' He said, 'I totally understand.'

Then I showed up and he's like, 'Dude, I swear to God, it's going to be so bad ass when we done. Trust me, it's going to be wicked.' And, you know, people understand and you get used to it. The first day, you feel like you're getting rushed by a fraternity... and then it wears off the next day. Because I'm not the only one wearing one - there are other people wearing them, too."

The actor also elaborated further on his character, and revealed he won't be imitating Terence Stamp's performance from Richard Donner's 1978 Superman movie.

"I'm not going to impersonate Terence Stamp. I'm not going to have a British accent or anything. I'm still getting my foot into the pool, you know? I just started working on it and all I can say is that it's very well written. There's a lot of really great opportunities to re-invent it for myself. To me, [being a General is] such an interesting kind of iconoclastic character. I can't imagine even being a Sergeant, let alone a General. He's in charge of the entire miltary of Krypton. That's going to take every little shred of imagination that I have. It's a good challenge."

Click on the video player below for Michael Shannon's interview where he discusses Man of Steel.

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

Sources: MTV, Moviefone

Might be silly to wear but it sgoing to look great in the final prduct, this i know. He is a tremendous character actor as well.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

2. TheBlur92

@pjwolsker I agree Darkseid would be a perfect villain for an ending trilogy if that happens

3 years agoby @theblur92Flag

3. bud2fresh

Can't wait for the teaser!!!!

3 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

4. rjh094

i think the movie will be good, but i think michael shannon is such a bland guy *shrug* it never seems like he has energy

3 years agoby @rjh094Flag

5. TheBlur92

hopefully they're using the cgi to make shannon into Jim Lees verion of Zod

3 years agoby @theblur92Flag

6. Pjwolsker

@ejk1 fuuuuuuuuck i meant to say Darkseid.. my bad ha

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

@pjwolsker not if they want a good ending.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

8. Pjwolsker

what about Doomsday as the villain for the last one in the trilogy for just Superman? (assuming they do a trilogy and not another reboot.. you never know these days)

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

9. Salem6777

and i have lost all hope for this movie

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

@superman81 He's garbage dude. All that you say is true, but that adds nothing to his character. He's a one-note player. All he knows is destruction, and when he did show intelligence, he became less of a menace because of his fear of death. Doomsday is mindless violence and nothing more. Yeah, he can destroy the universe, but he can't rule it.

As for Martian Manhunter vs. Doomsday, if MM was going all out, he could phase out to avoid any damage from Doomsday, stick his hand in the monster's head, re-corporealize, and give your boy Doomsday a lobotomy.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

11. Superman81

@ejk1 Did you honestly say that Doomsday is nothing but Garbage?? Last I checked he destroyed part of the JLA during the death of Superman series. And even Darkseid couldn't destroy Doomsday. He is the ultimate villain. I'm just shocked u think martian manhunter could take him. That's so funny

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

@ejk1 He's just a weapon

@ejk1 The numbers speak for themselves, he's a crappy villain.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 They hear the words "Death Of Superman," and think that makes Doomsday special. It doesn't. Why? Because he didn't really kill Superman, now did he? Compare CK with Barry Allen. How Allen died is much more important, as it happened during an event crossover (Crisis on Infinite Earths) and stayed dead for 23 or 24 years. CK was dead for what, a year? So Doomsday didn't do anything Earth shaking, and has done nothing since. DC just finished a Doomsday arc in Action Comics and other Superman books, and guess what? It was reviled by critics and fans alike. I think IGN gave the final issue a 3 out of 10. In short, aside from one brief moment of glory, Doomsday has done nothing, and is nothing.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

15. Jay.A.Ottley

@ejk1 Obviously he isn't going to be by himself, and why you have to be a clever arsewipe and figure out my main villain lol, which is Darkseid

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@ejk1 I think people just like throwing his name around because it sounds "cool". Not sure if they're really contemplating whether he'd actually make a good villain or not.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@jayaottley No dude, Doomsday is nothing but garbage. He is not worthy of a JLA film. By himself, Martian Manhunter, who is as strong as Superman, could take Doomsday apart. He could phase in and out of Doomsday's path, and the grey idiot wouldn't be able to take him. Darkseid needs to be the main JLA villain. A thinker who usually lets others do the fighting. Look at how Marvel is handling The Avengers, using Loki as the first villain. WHile capable of fighting, the Mischievous One uses his brain more. Doomsday is not a thinker, just a grunt, or rather a weapon to be directed.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

18. Jay.A.Ottley

@ejk1 My sentiments and precisely and exactly my point, dude... For JL to be the biggest hero movie of the mall they have to kill Supes.

I wrote a pretty awesome JL extract where Doomsday goes toe to toe with Supes, part of the scene consisted of Supes and Doomsday beating each other to a pulp and a fine collision through The Empire State Building, how about that for an iconic scene :)

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

Doomsday would make a pathetic JLA villain. If Superman alone can stop him, it wouldn't even be worth a yawn to see Doomsday take a pummeling from all of them.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@ghostman Shannon was quoting Snyder when he said, "Dude, it's going to be so awesome...." Judging from Shannon's own words, he doesn't sound overly convinced, except for saying it was "very well written" (but compared to what? TDK? GL?).

@jayaottley Doomsday is only needed if they do a Death of Superman arc. Otherwise, he is a rather useless character that DC has done nothing good with for 20 years.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

21. Jay.A.Ottley

@internetwin Read the article properly dude, alot of things will be motion capture

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

22. internetwin

Why? And why just Zod? why not the others?

3 years agoby @internetwinFlag

23. Jay.A.Ottley

@bawnian-dexeus I gree but truth be told i think, Doomsday would be perfect for a JL film

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@jayaottley when I looked at the concept art and saw this:

movieweb/movie/man-of-steel/PGLxznPObKrqPP/iWFjsiYjul4LVro

I immediately guessed we were going to be treated to something like Doomsday. Alas, one would argue that bringing in power houses like him and Darkseid would be too early.

25. Jay.A.Ottley

@bawnian-dexeus I know, its just a massive dissapointment that ZOD will look like a Dr Manhattan lol.

And i was expecting that Synder would go all badass with the CGI and bring someone new to the table like Darkseid or Doomsday

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@jayaottley It's as if ZOD will be a monster instead of a human.

27. Jay.A.Ottley

@cripple I concur, i want a real ZOD... not a CGI one

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

28. Tmontana

so excited man the original superman is one of my favs

3 years agoby @tmontanaFlag

29. Cripple

Having him motion-captured really disappoints me.

3 years agoby @crippleFlag

30. Jay.A.Ottley

So wait ZOD is now motion-captured.... please excuse me while i go give Zack Synder the headbutt of fail

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag