Michael Bay Responds to 'Ninja Turtles' Script Leak

The producer reveals that screenplay by Andre Nemec and Josh Appelbaum is not being used for the movie anymore.
Michael Bay responds to leaked Ninja Turtles screenplay
Michael Bay responds to leaked Ninja Turtles screenplay
Last week, the screenplay for Ninja Turtles was leaked onto the internet, and completely torn apart in several scathing reviews. Never one to shy away from controversy, producer Michael Bay took to his official website to clear the air. First off, he revealed this script isn't the one that is being used for the upcoming movie.

"The leaked script for Ninja Turtles that different sites continue to comment on was written well before I, or anyone at Platinum Dunes, was involved with the project.

That script saw the shredder a long time ago.

This is tired, old news -- Wait for the movie!

Michael"

This falls in line with our report from June that indicated production was being postponed due to issues with the screenplay by André Nemec and Josh Appelbaum (Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol). It hasn't been announced if new writers have come aboard, although it seems they're starting from scratch. Michael Bay also reiterated that this script was in place long before he signed on.

"To end this stupid merry go round and explain the math...Yes we signed on two years ago to Turtles, but with no deal in place. Deal completed towards end of last year. And yes, thats how long deals sometimes take. So no work was done on the script. Blame Paramount, not us for the first draft.

Michael"

As of now, Ninja Turtles is scheduled for release on May 16, 2014, with production supposedly scheduled to begin later this year. However, if this script really was discarded, who is writing the new screenplay? Stay tuned for the latest updates on this controversial live-action adventure.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes to theaters August 8th, 2014 and stars Megan Fox, William Fichtner, Will Arnett, Alan Ritchson, Jeremy Howard, Noel Fisher, Pete Ploszek, Danny Woodburn. The film is directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

1. jasdjqs

This is movie hype at it's best, Now i want to see this movie :)

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

2. THE JOKER

Why are people hating on Michael Bay for this.... he TURNED AWAY their crap ass ideas... that is a good thing... until we actually see him himself make bad choices on this film, I think people seriously need to calm the f*ck down...

@skywise I definitely agree... they should get back to their roots and be like those comics!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

3. Zak Lee Ferguson

oh michael you do make me wail in laughter with laugher at you not with you :P

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

4. Rufio

says the director who is now running back to the writer's room. lol

2 years agoby @rufioFlag

@narrator oh it would be brilliant but because of the cartoon, which was very popular as evidenced by all the replys to the TMNT articles I just cant see it happening. Hell, I was a fan of the TMNT cartoon too but it jut was NOT the Turtles I remeber and loved from my childhood when i was buying those comics.

The problem I have, like many others is that Bay has his hands in this and as we saw with TF he doesnt much care for the original stories and has a mind to make them "his own." That worries me. I was a huge TF dork when I was growing up and was very disapointed that he decidd to "reimagine" that story into something that mass audiences would want to see. I understand the concept but it was disapointing all the same.

No doubt he will "reimagine" the turtles in much the same way.

But having said that, this whole thing smells like a studio rouse to get people talking in and interested in the TMNT again.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Now THAT sounds like an interesting film, @skywise.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

7. Monkeyiron 2.0

I just hope their mutants again

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

8. Gandoff

@Speak4yourself I understand the feeling about movies having come from the same mold feel. I personally feel, each time era in movie, tend to have a similar feel. Each studio wants to try to capture the magic people love on movies to make money on. Look at Thor. We had two C or D level movies made to cling to the Marvel A level movie to pull some money from. If you look in the 60's back, there was a lot of western movies. Some had the same fill. Eastwood alone made a but load of money playing very similar characters. A gun fighter out for revenge one way or the other. John Wayne was a fast drawing, right on the target shooter, who majority of the time was working for the army, or fighting Indians. Then in the 70's and 80's we had crime dramas. Be it gangster films like The Godfather, or police actions like the Dirty Harry films. The pushed the line on nudity, and gun violence. Now in our generation, we feel they are rebooting films or remaking them all the time to much. In truth, they are. They tried to make some original films, but did bad in the theaters. We become to smart to a point, to sit and enjoy films like we used to. We want to be entertained, but challenged on our thoughts. We don't want to sit 15 mins in, and know how its going to end. But we all know, we will sit and watch the films that are 20 years old over and over if we love them. And that may be their thinking. Remake or reboot what we loved, cause we love them. And so we will watch them either to hate, or enjoy. Either way they make money on. I don't like Bay, but I also not hating on him either. I enjoyed the Transformers movies, but I also had things I did not like. I can turn off that switch that is very critical on films, to just let myself be entertained. I do see what people dislikes. I even may dislike them. But I try not to let those keep me from leaving the theater with that "Movie High", because there are things that I disliked. With that said, there are movies that I just could not bring myself too finish, or when I watched, was so bad, I couldn't help be be glad I waited for DVD to watch. "In the Name of the King, A Dungeon Siege Tale" is a prime example. Was made in the LOTR's early days, off a D&D lore type genre to do as I said Thor tv movies did. But like I said earlier. That is what your get with Uwe Boel.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

9. Ezmobot

Its good Bay is taking a lot of sh*t for this, I hope it help keeps things in line. If that script came to fruition I'd die!!! The more fan outcry hopefully the better the show. They better be taking this seriously!!

2 years agoby @EzmobotFlag

10. Writer220

the guy that directed Ninja Assassin's should direct this and bring it into adult mode.
    Bay is Bay, you either hate him or like him.
    I would like to see a film were Bay directs the special effects and someone else for character development, but knowing Bay and his big ego he'll just take over.

2 years agoby @writer220Flag

11. Basquat

@Fry-3000 Yes but bey then he will have earned his money by raping our favourtie turtles

2 years agoby @basquatFlag

12. Speak4yourself

@gandoff

I understand your appreciation for movies. I love going to the movies and my favorite part of the movie is when the lights go down and the green preview screen goes up. Nothing quite like it.
    Sadly, movies these days feel cut from the same cloth in terms of genre and story telling. As much hope as I have for this upcoming revival of the Turtles, I have this feeling that it will be nothing special, just another hype movie that will make profit namely for it's title and people's expectations.

2 years agoby @Speak4yourselfFlag

13. Speak4yourself

My hope is that he treats the Ninja Turtles with more respect and care than he did with the Transformers Franchise. Tone down the obnoxious humor and characters and keep out most of the dirty innuendos and you might just have a half decent start.

2 years agoby @Speak4yourselfFlag

14. K.Guy

@bawnian-dexeus THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

15. Fry_3000

I myself am not a bay fan. But I completely agree with him, on waiting for final result. I'm sure he got enough nasty comments thrown back to him with transformers to from fans. These rumors are getting a bit boring. And best is to wait till film comes out then beat him with a stick.

2 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag

16. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Ninja turtles are homo

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

@kguy Nah. The people that keep bitchin about Bay. It's getting tiresome

18. K.Guy

@bawnian-dexeus Is Paramount the cry babies?

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

19. K.Guy

@bawnian-dexeus You mean Paramount?

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

20. Gandoff

I remember when I was young, and watched movies in the theater. The feeling of the big screen filling my eyes with wonder, while the sound echoed in my ears. As I aged, and watched more and more movies, that was less and less child friendly, I became more aware of a good movie, compared to a bad movie. Then there was movies that made my spine tingle with a hint of my childhood memories flashing all around me. From comic movies, to video game movies, to childhood cartoons, they all have a emotional element to them when I watch them and enjoy them. There is going to be key elements that are put in the film, that will no doubt upset many people who are fans. I found some additions to Transformers bad, but some good. Same for GI Joe. Look at Star Wars. George Lucas, who is the God of all Star Wars, adds, or changes anything, and people still get upset. Despite Lucas being the Alpha and Omega of all thing Jedi and Sith. Bay who is just a writer, producer, and director, using base material to create things, will no doubt make HUGE mistakes. I for one, if anything in the leaked script, on major plot lines are still true to what they are making, well pisses me off to. So as I am on the band wagon, hating on TMNT for what all is being released on news for it. I think we all should agree, Bay's movies are decently good when it comes to movies in the genre like TMNT and Transformers. It is not like he will ever do to a movie like Uwe Boel. I think that's how is name is spelled... But I think my point is made with that name drop in comparison...lol

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

@skywise I wouldn't know

@bawnian-dexeus They also drink and swear. Good times.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@skywise Sounds like a Lionsgate production

The original TMNT comics were violent and gory. The turtles used their weapons to kill people! They kill Shredder, their arch nemesis in the first few issues.

I know I will never see these Turtles again unless I dig up those comic books, but one can dream.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Cry babies

26. Yannick Decorte

I feel like I need to defend Jonathan Liebesman a little bit here. I like the guy, I thought Darkness Falls and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning were well-directed. However, as much as I think he's a cool director, he doesn't have the shoulders for a project that ambitious, period. Battle: Los Angeles was proof of that as while there was some good directing in there, every time there was a fighting sequence you couldn't tell who was where doing what; the guy gets in over his head when the project gets big. I don't think people should blame him and label him a bad director, I think people should blame the production for choosing a director much more comfortable doing smaller-scale films to make a really big-scale one, which he has so far proven he doesn't know how to make.

2 years agoby @yannick-decorteFlag

27. Nicholaus XX

@incmob -- I'm leaning towards "The Last Airbender", if anything. And I'm 90% sure of that.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

28. SpaceCowboy

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx@incmob Well, like I've said. It won't hurt me to see TMNT get gunned down again. There are way too many incarnations of the Turtles as it is for one project to outrage so many fans. Who knows... could be surprise team-up like V for Vendetta was (thanks, incmob) or be the next Last Airbender. We won't know until we see it.

2 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

29. incmob

@SpaceCowboy i agree to the extent of how the watchowski (siblings...lol) sucked it up on part 2 and 3 of the matrix and speed racer, but v for vendetta turned out well with only them producing, however bay is a control freak... i can see him getting his dirty paws somewhere on this to make it exactly how @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx said... flat-out stupid.

2 years agoby @incmobFlag