Matt Smith to Star in 'How to Catch a Monster' for Director Ryan Gosling

Eva Mendes and Christina Hendricks also star in this fantasy thriller about a mother and son who discover a bizarre fantasy world.
Matt Smith joins the cast of How to Catch a Monster
Matt Smith joins the cast of How to Catch a Monster
Doctor Who star Matt Smith has joined the cast of Ryan Gosling's directorial debut How to Catch a Monster.

Set against the surreal landscape of a vanishing city, the story centers on a single mother who is swept into a fantasy dream world, while her teenage son discovers a road that leads to an underwater town. Matt Smith will play the male lead, although no character details were given. Christina Hendricks is portraying the mother, with Eva Mendes also starring in an unspecified role.

Ryan Gosling will direct and produce from his own original screenplay. Marc Platt (Drive) is also producing alongside Adam Siegel, Michel Litvak, and David Lancaster.

Production is scheduled to begin sometime this spring.

Lost River comes to theaters in 2014 and stars Christina Hendricks, Saoirse Ronan, Eva Mendes, Matt Smith, Iain De Caestecker, Ben Mendelsohn, Barbara Steele, Reda Kateb. The film is directed by Ryan Gosling.

Sources: Variety

1. thedude-abides

@pjwolsker That's fair enough. Hopefully he does big things for Gosling in this one.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

2. Pjwolsker

@thedude-abides I know you don't know who Matt Smith is but he's a great actor. He plays the current Doctor on Doctor Who and out of the 11 actors who have played the character, he's considered by many to have been the best one. I'd give him a chance. He's going to do big things in his career

2 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

3. thedude-abides

@narrator (sigh) Honestly, I don't see it being a success. Considering the cast and the subject matter, any other director, and I would say it sounds like a film I wouldn't pay to see.

Hendricks is obviously doing a friend a favor after working with Ryan on Drive. And Mendes is his girlfriend, so obviously she's willing to help him out. Otherwise, all we have to go on is Smith, whom I've never heard of, and who certainly wouldn't have been tops on my list if it were my movie.

Maybe they're friends, I don't know; but what I do know is, the guy's a tv actor, and the fact that he was cast doesn't exactly make it seem like a lot of people were jumping at the role.

The bottom line with me is, if it's bad, I'll hate it for Gosling's sake; if it's good, I'll wish it were bad and hate it all the more seeing as how it'll probably lead to less time in front of the camera for Gosling and more time behind it.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

yes yes yes. this is awsome news.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Not a huge fan of Smith, probably due to Doctor Who bias, but this is the first I'm hearing of the plot and it sounds awesome and... potentially too big for a first time director like Gosling. I mean, sure, he's been in the business a while and may have learned a lot, but I'm equally excited as I am nervous about this project.

@thedude-abides - thoughts?