'Masters of the Universe' Has an Unexpected Approach Says Director Jon M. Chu

The filmmaker was drawn to the 'grounded and layered' characters in the screenplay for this upcoming adventure.
Masters of the Universe is surprisingly grounded says director Jon M. Chu
Masters of the Universe is surprisingly grounded says director Jon M. Chu
Back in July, we reported that G.I. Joe Retaliation director Jon M. Chu will direct the new Masters of the Universe adventure for Sony Pictures. Today, the filmmaker spoke about what drew him to the project in a new interview. Take a look at what he had to say about the surprisingly grounded screenplay.

"I was approached about doing a Masters of the Universe movie and while at first I was skeptical, I read the script and I was blown away. I had no idea what to expect but it was such a fresh, unexpected approach I was immediately intrigued. I never expected to connect on a human level to a MOTU movie but I really plugged in emotionally. That alone, got me excited to see what we could do with the property. MOTU is such a challenging puzzle to make into a movie that works to a contemporary audience but the script seemed to really crack it for me. I think people are really going to be surprised at the rich story we have the opportunity to tell in this world. Where you think MOTU goes left, the script goes right and it was just very clear to me this was something very special."

He also revealed that this new take will distance itself from the 1987 Masters of the Universe movie starring Dolph Lundgren, and how there is room to expand the story.

"I feel like there's a lot of room to crack open the Masters of the Universe story. We are still in our process and I think we have some great seeds planted but making one of these types of movies right takes a lot of tonal tightroping so we're just going to play for the next several months. Play with designs, play with the characters, try new things, maybe go too far on some things and pull back. The process is really important to find where the right line is so we can land right on it. I think that's what can dig out the properties full potential for a cinematic rebirth. I don't really think about the 80s movie when looking at this movie because the script here is so strong and so unique. I think the characters are so grounded and layered I never expected that in a Masters movie so to me it's on a totally different level. Don't get me wrong, I love the 80s movie for full nostalgic reasons but this script feels like it's a totally different genre than that one."

The director also spoke about his connection to the original toy line when he was growing up.

"I loved the toys growing up. I had Grayskull, I had BattleCat/Cringer, I had Stratos and Orko and obviously He-Man and Skeletor. I also watched the cartoon a lot growing up. This is my era, so going to Mattel to visit their headquarters was like walking into a childhood fantasy. They had a lifesized He-Man in the lobby as well as a glass case with every single Masters of the Universe action figure on display. It brought me back to my youth and I knew I had to be a part of getting this movie together. For every MOTU fan out there, it felt like it was time and I wanted to make sure to protect it in the process."

Masters of the Universe is in development .

Sources: CeleBuzz

1. THE JOKER

Cool

1 year agoby @mcleve02Flag

2. Xenon

I didn't hate the 80's version though awful that it was it could have been better.
    Now years and decades later, I'm looking forward to this film.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

3. joelseph

The 80's movie was a dissappointment to me when I was 10years old. "why are they on earth?" Anyway, I think calling this a reboot is fine, I would question anyone asking for a direct sequel haha.
    I do hope they get the character development right on this movie and dont just make it a popcorn movie. Lord of the Rings and the Avengers Saga has proven you can make the unbelieveable into a real story with real people.

1 year agoby @joelsephFlag

4. Gandoff

Most of us in on this web site who comment, was a child of the 70's and 80's. With that said, majority of us, are the children of the 80's who comment on this particular movie. I have seen some say bad things on the Original He-man movie. And yes, as a adult now, looking at it, the space traveling to earth was to much. With that said, every one of us, would be lying, if we said when we watched it as a kid, we hated it. We all loved it, for we was kids, looking at it with childrens eyes and a stronger imagination. We still hold a love to movies as we do, cause our imagination still is strong. But the adult analytical antics cause use to over think so much on movies. For me, I do try not to think to much on a movie unless I have seen it more then 3 times. That tends to be the number in which I start to notice things I did not the first time. With that said, I want to see a cast, in costume before I even start to compare this "reboot" in any real way to the original. For me, Robert Langula, if thats how is name is spelled, would be hard to replace as Skeletor as well as Dolph for He-man.

1 year agoby @gandoffFlag

5. phatalphd

Good read...now don't f*ck it up! This was the crown jewel for 80's kids' cartoons, at least for me, so please please please do it right.

1 year agoby @phatalphdFlag

@ejk1 One can only hope.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

7. BERSERKER

@u1sart - I 100% agree. I'll withhold judgment on him for now, until I see what he does with G.I. Joe 2.

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

That unexpected approach is that this film will actually try to be good and faithful to the material. I hope.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

9. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Hm, sounds good!

1 year agoby @cryptFlag

10. u1sart

I wanna see what M Cho, does with G.I. Joe to see if he will give MOTU any justice..

1 year agoby @u1sartFlag

I really am looking forward to see this. As a kid these wer among my favorite toys, along with GI Joe and Transformers.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag