'Marvel's The Avengers' Best Comic Book Movie So Far Says SFX Supervisor

Chris Wells reveals that he has seen a rough cut of the finished film, and praises the Hulk.
Chris Wells sings the praises of Marvel's The Avengers and The Hulk
Chris Wells sings the praises of Marvel's The Avengers and The Hulk
Hydraulx SFX supervisor Chris Wells has been out and about, promoting his visuals on the just released Blu-ray for last year's acclaimed drama Take Shelter. While speaking with Starburst Magazine, he opened up about working with Joss Whedon on this summer's highly anticipated Marvel's The Avengers, and remarked that it's the best comic book movie that he has worked on to date.

Wells has seen a rough cut of the entire movie and confirms that it is never "boring", and that it's the film comic book fans have been waiting for. He also revealed that Marvel's The Avengers opens with a pretty amazing prologue.

"We're doing what essentially boils down to the prelude of the movie. There's a whole intro that happens before you start even getting the titles and it's pretty big. There's nothing small in this movie. I went to a screening with all the temporary visual effects and it was pretty fleshed out. It's a long movie but it doesn't feel like it. Out of all the comic book movies and franchises I've worked on, this is the best one I've seen so far."

Chris Wells then went onto confirm that because of the film's running time, it is able to be action heavy without losing any of the character-oriented moments that have become a defining signature of Joss Whedon's work as both a writer and a director.

"I think they nailed both. Joss and I have worked on some projects before and he does a very good job with characters. Since this is the first time that we see these guys together as a unit, he had to address all their personal dealings with one another. I think he did a very good job of setting up the characters based on what we know from the Marvel franchise, integrating them together with all their differences and similarities and then getting on with business. And just when you think the movie is a character piece it just goes nuts."

Lastly, he went onto praise the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) specifically, emphasizing the fact that Marvel's The Avengers is not a film that drags on in dialogue or slow moments of unnecessary storytelling.

"I promise you it's not going to be boring. This thing has gone so big that Marvel are dwarfing their other franchises. For people who enjoy the comics and haven't really liked the way some of the characters were treated in other movies, I think they're going to be a little more appeased by this one. Especially the Hulk. They let the Hulk be Hulk and that's great. He acts more like the comic book Hulk."

To read more: Click Here!

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

1. Rise-a-knight

the avengers, the dark knight rises, and the amazing spiderman are the superhero films that look fantastic this year....f*ck ghost rider piece of sh*t film

2 years agoby @rise-a-knightFlag

2. Sean

@narrator I agree. I'd like to see an actual film poster to be released for this movie.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

3. Nicholaus XX

I call bullsh*t.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

4. Justhim_sir

even tho i plan on seeing this I'm still not site to see it, just want to watch it and compare it to the 2 other comic book movies coming out this year. Ghost rider 2 will be my 1st on my list.

2 years agoby @justhim-sirFlag

5. RyanMoran

i cant wait and i am a dc fan

2 years agoby @RyanMoranMitaFlag

6. Sean

@aylagas55 Yes, i see what you mean.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. SherlockHolmes2009

getting me hyped

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

8. AYLAGA5

@sean
    is simple Im a DC fan, and a die hard batman fan.. Then im basing my opinion on the two movies we got before this one which the were master pieces...Im still watching THE AVENGERS and i know itll be worth paying the $10 for the movie ticket, maybe after i see both of them, i may change my opinion... you get my point?

2 years agoby @aylagas55Flag

9. ROFLitschristian

Hmm, those are some big words. Better back them up.

Even if it's not though, we'll still have TDKR! :P

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

10. Bane5000

@bawnian-dexeus...ok i wont dude, but if it the descirption is true, itll be one hell of a scene :]

2 years agoby @bane5000Flag

11. Joshua Hollaway

I'm pretty sure this movie will do better BOX OFFICE wise. Why? Word of mouth. Not everyone knows about the avengers because: A. The horrible marketing strategy they used. I have yet to see this films trailer in any movies yet. It seems like the marketing money is going towards there toys. B. Virtual everyone knows about TDK OR TDKR or knows batman..and i think it kinda backfires..becase me personally and tired of all the Batman redos.And there are many like me who are also kinda weary of him. Its the most overdone superhero movie or movie period! Well NMOES might beat it by a couple movies, but still. Something like this has never been done before. Now review wise, TDKR might pull it off..but i honestly expect The Avengers to be in the top spot for maybe 4-6 weeks until TDKR or The Amazing Spiderman is released..I even think it will beat The Amazing spiderman when it comes out, lol not really...but maybe =p

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

12. Bane5000

@narrator...Seconded, i want an official movie poster to go along with my Cap and Thor solo film posters i have, as well as the teams posters i got from Comic-Con last year :D

2 years agoby @bane5000Flag

@bane5000 .......please no

14. Bane5000

Has anyone else read the supposid scene discription of The Hulk fighting Iron Man, Thor and Cap on a bridge...if not lemme know and ill post it on here

2 years agoby @bane5000Flag

I'm still waiting for an actual film poster to be released. Anyone?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. moviemouse

even though i am more of a marvel guy i think the dark knight rises is still my most anticipated funny hu?

2 years agoby @moviemouseFlag

17. Noller1

Superman comic book movie??? the new one or old cause the last one i saw was horrible

2 years agoby @Noller1Flag

18. Titanictom

Superman IS the best Comic book movie!!!!!!

2 years agoby @titanictomFlag

19. Sean

@bawnian-dexeus Good point.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

20. Sean

@ghostman I hope your right. On the other hand though, the Dark Knight movie was hard to follow and had alot of complexity.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

21. Josh

Every quote in this makes the movie sound awesome.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

22. Ghostman

@bawnian-dexeus Bingo!!! we have a winner, now tell that to the movie fanatic :)

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

All the marvel films have been very easy to follow.

24. CUPID

Cant wait.

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

25. Ghostman

To put it this way @sean, I highly doubt that The Avenger's will be on the same level of complexity that TDK and Inception were. The character dynamics in each of their stories told in The Avenger's might have complex chemistry between other actors. but the story-telling will not be confusing or hard to follow like you seem to think.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

26. Sean

@corey Maybe they will equally be complex movies, depending on how the plot/story is done in both movies.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

27. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic I don't think the amount of characters makes a film more complex. I think TDKR will be more complex because Nolan is very secretive and twisty about telling what the story is. The Avengers is going to be complex as well, but I doubt the film will be hard to understand. Then again, neither will TDKR.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

28. JonSpidey07

this is what they said about Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, and X2: X-Men United and X-Men: First Class I still truly believe the Spider-Man franchise (not reboot) is still the best ever!

2 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

29. Sean

@aylagas55 How can the The Dark Knight Rsies be more of a complex movie, when it's th Avengers movie that will have more comic book characters in it than the Dark Knight Rises will have in it ?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag