Marvel's 'Runaways' Gets Delayed

The 'Breakfast Club' of superhero adaptations takes a backseat to 'The Avengers' and 'Iron Man 3'.
Marvel's Runaways gets delayed
Marvel's Runaways gets delayed
As Disney acquires the rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, it has become apparent that Marvel Studios is slowing down with its intentions to bring the teenage superhero franchise Runaways to the big screen. That doesn't mean we won't see it in the future. We just won't see it anytime soon.

Some speculated the film was being cancelled altogether, as sources report that Marvel was uneasy moving ahead with their project after Kick-Ass, which contains similar themes, faltered at the box office. According to Deadline, this is in no way true, and that the delay comes from Marvel Studios having too much on its plate at the moment.

Marvel plans to take their time bringing Runaways to the big screen so they can do it right. The live action adaptation was written by Lost's Brian K. Vaughan, and it is apparently being called the The Breakfast Club of teenage superhero flicks. The story revolves around a group of high schoolers that discover their parents are super villains. They band together to use their super powers for good, and build a secret base under the La Brea tar pits.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist's Peter Sollett is still attached to direct Runaways, but he is being invited to take on another project first.

Runaways is in development . The film is directed by Peter Sollett.

Sources: Deadline

1. Josh

Ick. Kristen Kruek is DREADFUL.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

Lol, @ejk. Kreuk is a bit young for Pearce. Eh?

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

Lol, Guy and Scarlett? Sounds pretty awesome.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

Oh. Well in that case, for continuity's sake, if they went that route, they'd need to get my girl ScarJo. In which case, I'd be extremely satisfied :D

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

Well, that's the thing. Elektra doesn't necessarily have to be in the movie. Black Widow was as much a part of Murdock's life, perhaps more. In the seventies, Murdock and BW fell in love, moved to San Francisco together, and starred in a comic series for a few years together, "Daredevil and Black Widow." I have the comics where Matt defended her for murdering Mac Gargan, aka Scorpion(it wasn't really him, but a cyborg from the future). Their relationship lasted for close to seven or eight years. I'm just telling you this to let everyone know that DD doesn't always need Elektra.

That being said, if they wanted Elektra, which I'm not opposed to in any way, I'd go with either Emmanuelle Vaugier, Minka Kelly, or my favorite girl Kristin Kreuk. Yeah, I know, I'm hoping against hope, but you never know.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

I haven't seen much of Guy Pearce, outside of the excellent Memento, but I did love him in that. Could be down for him as Daredevil. Who would play Elektra?

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

What would make up for the poor Daredevil run lately is bringing back Brubaker, but he's busy writing for Cap, and the new Incognito, which comes out Wednesday. If you haven't read the first one, you've missed out on something great.

Guy Pearce as Matt Murdock? I'm down with that. It's about time Pearce fully steps into the limelight, and Daredevil could be the way to get him there.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

Thanks guys.

@ejk, I completely agree with you about mainstream comics/GN's. I mean hell, Y: The Last Man; my favorite guilty pleasure (in a form of literature) ever. Such a fantastic idea, and so many different ways you can go about doing it, but no one does anything with it. Instead, as @REAL says, we end up with another 20 Saws. I honestly say f*ck DJ Caruso for doing I am Number 4 and a other projects before Y. Let someone else take over already.

As for Daredevil, @ejk, no worries. The film reboot will hopefully get it back on track (and make up for the poor comic run lately). As they said, they are waiting for the right director, willing to bring both scope and depth to the film, similar to Nolan with Batman. I'm surprised Fox is being patient enough. I am still rooting for Guy Pearce to play Mr. Murdock.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

9. RojoDiablo

I hope it does get made though. Maybe the film will benefit from the studio taking their time and getting it done right!

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

10. Bane5000

damn, i was hoping this movie would get going, itll be agreat way to kick off the plan Marvel studios has for theyre low budget films they want to begin doing on lesser known characters, i also like the idea of placing short films of characters before full length features so that people can get a look how it would be and maybe give them their own films later on...but still a big no to the damn kid from fred the movie being in any Marvel movie...

4 years agoby @bane5000Flag

11. DoubleR0522

man thats messed up 4real

4 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

@Skywise, only if they decide to go ahead with the movie.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

13. Emmytt

@skywise true

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

This is not surprising to me and if they wait then that can only make the movie better right? RIGHT? The Runaways have a cool story and its really nothing like Kick Ass.

4 years agoby @skywiseFlag

15. Diaigma

Infamous Disney strikes again . . . I was really looking forward to this.

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

16. Writer220

I usually avoid newer superheroes and I stick to the ones I know, but sometimes I branch out. I just might watch this when it comes out.
    I just wish Joss would direct an X-Men film as well.

4 years agoby @writer220Flag

17. Goodbye

I to applaud Narrator.That idea is far past brilliant.Seriously.Also.Here's their chance to stop eying Lucas Cruikshank to play in this.

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag

I also applaud @Narrator, that would be a great way to help stoke interest about the Runaways.

I wish these studios would be bold and and adventure outside of the 'big big' names. My hat is still off that were getting a what I hope to be 'proper' live action treatment of Green Lantern. That's a huge step in the right direction for DC. Now we just need for that to do really well, and Avengers to do well, and maybe we can start seeing some branching off into lesser knowns with some faith.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

@Narrator, that was absolutely brilliant. Tying Runaways the The Avengers? You can't see it but I'm applauding your idea, my friend.

On the downside, this news sucks. I know @Narrator is right when he says The Runaways aren't a mainstream story, but that's what bothers me. It's better than some of the mainstream stories out there(listen, I'm one of the biggest Daredevil fans you'll ever encounter, but I can tell you right now that this Shadowland arc that's going on right now is putrid garbage. Shame on Marvel for putting one of its better heroes through this junk). Also, this just makes it harder for owner-created books to be made into movies. Incognito, Y:The Last Man, Ex Machina, Chew, The Sandman, all would make interesting films(although Chew may be hard to stomach, for some), but as Marvel seems to be pulling away from the idea ever so slightly, it seems like we are going to be given a Spider-Man reboot every three movies simply because of the name recognition. And that's BS.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

20. Emmytt

@dan1 if there is that many Saws i wonder which ones James Cameron will direct and make worse lol

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

Ah man... this was one of those concepts I was really looking forward to.

At least we will have 20 more SAW sequels to tide us over :D

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

22. Josh

I think this would fare much better as a TV show. This should be Joss Whedon's next project. If the Avengers performs well, Marvel will let him do anything he wants.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

23. Emmytt

this sucks

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

Well, financially it makes sense. This is a relatively unheard of series and would require quite a bit of advertisement. However, if they are able to mention in in the upcoming Avengers film, it might spark interest. Example: Nick Fury and Steve Rogers talking on a hellicarrier. Steve is having trouble adjusting to all the major changes in the world, not just in techno-logical advancements but in personality, our countries moral and superhero's being pop culture. Nick says something along the lines of, "Superhero's are just about everywhere now. You guys are just the big guns. There's a few super powered "pests" (hinting at Spidey without saying his name due to film rights) on the East Coast. On the west coast there's even rumors of super powered teens. Calling themselves Runaways." Etc, etc.

Again thats just an example of subliminal marketing and teasing the audiences. Overall, for this project to work they need a strong script, but more importantly good young actors. None of this casting cheap, "good looking" people, who can't act to save their lives. Unknowns will do just fine. Cast them at the correct age level as well, so as to be realistic (no 20 year olds playing high school students and tweens), and leave room for a possible franchise. This is risky project. I still can't get over how they'd do this before an Antman/Wasp story. Talk about catering to the younger audiences.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag