Mark Ruffalo Says No 'Hulk' Stand-Alone Movie Is Being Planned

The actor took to Twitter today and responded to rumors of the green killing machine's solo act on the big screen.
Rumors have been swirling around about a standalone project featuring Mark Ruffalo's The Hulk from Marvel's The Avengers. Marvel producer Kevin Feige had hinted that there might be two films based on the comic book arcs Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. We then heard more rumors that these projects would come together after being teased in the final ten minutes of The Avengers 2, where all of our heroes gather to launch Hulk into space.

Joss Whedon recently put those rumors to rest, saying this.

"Well, I'm really not supposed to comment...But no, that's nonsense."

Today, Mark Ruffalo also responded to these rumors, on Twitter, and stated that nothing is in the works as far as a Hulk standalone movie is concerned, backing up Joss Whedon's statement that there would be no Planet Hulk movie. Not in the immediate future anyway.

He went on to say that he was not going to give up on the standalone features, though.

Avengers: Age of Ultron comes to theaters May 1st, 2015 and stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey Jr., Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Jeremy Renner. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

Sources: Twitter

1. Sean

@Joe-Wylee-LaBallister That is interesting. I think you might be on to something there.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. supermanvenom

@therealGoku Ah you didn't like the way they had the hulk. What not big enough or something else?

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

3. The Real Goku

@supermanvenom hmmm I see your point. I guess my problem was more with the actual hulk than banner

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

4. supermanvenom

@therealGoku I like Edward Norton, i just thought he played him better. I guess more nerdy kinda seemed more believable as a scientist.

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

5. Blackout23

If Disney decided to do another Hulk film I hope its a sequel to Edward Nortons film. That was so damn good. For me and most of us liked Norton as Bruce and would have loved to see him as Bruce in Avengers. Now I think its impossible for him to come back to the roll

1 year agoby @Blackout23Flag

6. The Real Goku

@supermanvenom i guess everyone has their own opinion, but how did he make a better Banner than Edward Norton??

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

7. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Really love to see Edward Norton play him again if ever possible. Don't get me wrong, Mark Ruffalo was good (REALLY good actually) in "The Avengers," but he still didn't surpass Edward Norton in my opinion.

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

8. undeadslayer4

u son of bitch i want a stand alone movie for hulk!!!!!

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

Are we concerned about seeing Hulk or Banner? Feels like I'm missing something

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

10. StephieBaybee

Ok, everyone knows the back story of the Hulk but Ruffalo just didn't do it for me in the avengers, to date i'd have to say Norton's Hulk is much better. I hope if he is given a stand alone movie in the future he'll develop the character and make it his own, i think he just didn't have enough air time in the first avengers. Too many big characters all in the same movie and i'd like to see more of the Hulk x

1 year agoby @steph-xFlag

11. ROFLitschristian

This is fine with me. Nothing against Ruffalo, he did a fantastic job as Banner and is my favorite to date. But it's like Whedon said, Hulk is too complicated for a stand alone film. He's better off just being tossed in with the Avengers.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

12. Joe Wylee LaBallister

But... That's just my prediction

1 year agoby @Joe-Wylee-LaBallisterFlag

13. Joe Wylee LaBallister

If you notice, Ruffalo was very careful on his wording there... he said that people have been asking about the next hulk, and that the next time you see him will be in The Avengers 2... he didn't say anything about after that. Plus it has also been said that he signed 6 contracts playing his Hulk character. So, if he's only doing The Avengers, The Avengers 2, and The Avengers 3... what are the other 3 films he is doing as the Hulk? It only makes sense that they would do Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. In fact, they are already talking about Hulk possibly being the villain for the Avengers 3. It only makes sense that they would launch the Hulk into space and do Planet Hulk. Imagine how pissed he would be when he got back to Earth, leading to a villainous role in The Avengers 3.

1 year agoby @Joe-Wylee-LaBallisterFlag

14. supermanvenom

@narrator Yeah you do have a point. I just hope they can stick to one actor and not keep switching

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

15. Corey W.

@narrator Yeah I can't judge Ruffalo's performance either. The Avengers wasn't really big on character development other than the development we already saw dissect outside of it in Phase 1. I hope he gets a stand alone after The Avengers 2, I think Ruffalo needs a chance to carry his own film as Banner and prove himself as great as Norton, if not better.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

16. Xenon

Last I heard Hulk was getting his own TV show again but it's suppose to be separate from this universe.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

While there are no plans, I'm sure it's been discussed. Marvel has so many avenues they could explore at this point, they would be foolish to commit to any one before exploring every possibility.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

Gotta disagree, @supermanvenom. Ed Norton was definitely the best banner, but perhaps they captured the character of Hulk best in Avengers. Honestly, there was very little character development in Avengers, between action scenes and slapstick humor. Not a fair comparison.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

19. CBF

Good. Norton's The Incredible Hulk finally did that character justice for a stand alone. All we need Hulk for now is Avengers.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

We may not see Hulk, but Banner is still Banner

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

21. supermanvenom

He was the best Bruce Banner. Other movies i still liked but could of been better.

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

22. justatadmatt

...and weren't all the hulk rumors set for after Avengers 2 anyway?

1 year agoby @justatadmattFlag

23. justatadmatt

"The next time you see my HULK"...

doesn't mean we won't see banner before then.

1 year agoby @justatadmattFlag

24. Xenon

he's very convincing as Banner

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

25. Sean

It sounds like Mark Ruffulo is willing to return for a Hulk movie, even though Joss Whedon basically said there isn't one coming.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag