'Man of Steel' Reinvents Lois Lane Says Amy Adams

The actress was given the freedom to create a new character in director Zack Snyder's superhero reboot.
Amy Adams discusses the reinvention of Lois Lane in Man of Steel
Amy Adams discusses the reinvention of Lois Lane in Man of Steel
The 2012 summer movie season is in the history books, so naturally, we can now start looking ahead to the 2013 blockbuster lineup. Man of Steel looks to be one of the highlights of the season, starring Henry Cavill as the title character and Amy Adams as Lois Lane. The actress recently spoke about the intimidation factor in playing a character so memorably portrayed by Margot Kidder in Superman.

"It was fun. It was intimidating because it was played before by Margot Kidder, whom I love. One of my favorite movies growing up was Superman -- and Superman II. I was kind of a nerd. I loved them so much. It was important to create a character that was new because I thought she was perfect. It's hard to step into a role where you thought someone had already achieved what could be achieved. But coming from theater, you're always stepping into a role that's been done before, so you're always excited about it."

She also hopes that her portrayal of the Daily Planet journalist will have the same effect on young girls as Margot Kidder's performance had on her.

"I grew up really loving (her). I wasn't trying to be her, but I hope I do enough of a good job to have the same effect on young girls as Lois Lane had on me. I really loved seeing a woman represented as a modern woman in a superhero movie, and not even glamourized, really -- she was kind of a troublemaker. She wasn't a typical heroine. I identified with her from a very young age."

The actress also talked about creating a completely new character, which was director Zack Snyder's game plan all along.

"This was a new idea, down to the hair color. I knew people would want to talk about my hair color. It was going to be a thing. (Director) Zack (Snyder) told me he didn't hire me to play someone else. He hired me to play Lois Lane. It's a whole reimagining."

She added that this new take on the story helped free her up to construct a new version of this iconic character.

"It's a totally different realization of the Superman lore, so I felt free in that way because I wasn't trying to emulate any sort of banter that had been established by Christopher Reeve and Kidder. I was given a lot of permission to create a new character."

The actress also revealed that she hasn't seen a single frame of footage so far.

"I haven't seen it. I haven't seen any footage. It's intense. Henry (Cavill) worked his tail off as Superman. It's different for me. A lot of running. I hold a laser taser of some sort."

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

1. THE JOKER

@thaphoenix haha I answered your message about the cigar on the wrong Superman post... oh well I will have a puff here as well...
    *puff, inhale, savor flavor, release... sips scotch and soda...* "ahhhh"

2. Tha Phoenix

*hands @mcleve02 a cigar* :D

2 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

3. THE JOKER

@ghostman hehe! It's what we do!

4. Ghostman

Damn, the comments below are more entertaining than the article.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

5. THE JOKER

@thaphoenix haha it did indeed! Care to share one? If not I have my pipe with Black Cherry pipe tobacco! XD

@thaphoenix Nope. I always expect the best

7. Tha Phoenix

@bawnian-dexeus Would you expect anything less?

2 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

8. Tha Phoenix

@mcleve02@bawnian-dexeus It is indeed! I felt my calming presence was called for. LMAO! *lights cigar and exhales smoke*

2 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

9. THE JOKER

@dan1@bawnian-dexeus@narrator@thaphoenix You guys make me chuckle! :D

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Lol, @mcleve02 and @dan1. Too true, my friends.

I knew something's been missing on this site, @bawnian-dexeus.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@thaphoenix Hey, your martini is back! :D

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Superman articles always bring out the drama :P

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

13. THE JOKER

@thaphoenix You forgot you cigar/pipe ;)

14. THE JOKER

@narrator haha... just like the old days...

15. Tha Phoenix

*sidles in, Martini in hand, and settles down in a quiet corner*

2 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

No one blew anything out of proportion. I don't care about someone's opinion, and said so. It's not my fault that person is too small to let it go.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

The f*ck happened on this thread? Lots of hostility out the clear blue...

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

18. THE JOKER

@comicbookfan Thanks... It branched from several articles... not just this one... when his comments are so contradictory from thread to thread, he is going to get called out and it will blow up when people respond with the attitude he did... I never pretend to know more than I do, even in the comics world! I have no problem asking if I don't! Let's face it, there are so many out there we are all bound to not know a few things about some of them!

I am glad to see we are on the same page here! As I shall continue to back you up as well!!!

19. THE JOKER

@glacia Good... bye!!!

20. Glacia

@the Joker... So your initial post to me that began with "Do you know how to read?" was a serious inquiry into my literacy. Got it. "I did not get on here and call you a douche in my first post" I didn't say you did. My initial post was directed at no one. You took it upon yourself to respond derisively to a comment not directed at you and not about you. Which you've done again by the way. You set the tone and I followed to the point of civility. Civility doesn't mean pretending the other person is also civil nor does it place the onus on me to "pull you down". I've already said I didn't want a conversation with you... you wrote to me; with I might add the internet equivalent of walking up and spitting in a complete stranger's face. That says volumes about you whether or not you choose to accept it. This is going to be my last post on this thread since it's gone way too long and too far for my liking.

2 years agoby @glaciaFlag

21. THE JOKER

@crypt haha

22. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

@mcleve02 hahaha ohhhh sh*t, this will be a lot to read

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

23. THE JOKER

@crypt I was wondering your opinion on these changes to Lois Lane? Or visions I should say! ;)

24. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Thank you... yes I tend to be reactionary, but I know when to calm down and just talk...

25. Nicholaus XX

"About civility, XxNickTheFilmCriticXx will tell you I am almost always one to carry civil conversations on here and only occasionally list off the wagon.."

Noted, and supported, to show validity.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

26. THE JOKER

@glacia I did not get on here and call you a douche in my first post... I simply said that the comics needed to be read before you post, not just a few here and there and then research for the others. About civility, @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx will tell you I am almost always one to carry civil conversations on here and only occasionally list off the wagon... You in no way responded in anyway that was a "let's talk civilly" kind of way... So you are being a hypocrite... As far as insults and hate go... please show me even once where I cussed right at you... I beg you... it's not there... I am not trying to be low, rude, and an arrogant jerk, but I know depths of the character that answered a lot of what your post was about... Sure maybe I commented harshly at first, but hey did you immediately try and pull it down to a more civil manner or did you throw a comment about me being obsessed with reading comic books and I did not belong on forums... Little things like that, pull away from your stance from who you are claiming to be... Sorry to tell you... If you wanted to carry a civil conversation with me, make it happen don't post back with attacks and try to have me evaluate myself as a person... truth be told... this is a movie website where people have user names that are not their own... Truly you have no idea who I am, what it is I do and whom is a part of my life... So that part of the conversation you can keep to yourself... I know exactly who I am... I have people that love me and make me happy... So I am in no need of life philosophy like that...

27. Nicholaus XX

@glacia -- Why, thank you. Ah, I see. Yeah, people tend to overreact over such petty matters. Name-calling, insulting, and swearing is their way of blowing out steam(?), but it's also a sign of (minute) ignorance, and immaturity - or reacting based on the spur of the moment. Not too much of the latter, if you know their history. It's nice to see a user that's not playing/joining the "how-low-can-you-go" game.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag