'Man of Steel' Is More Challenging Than 'The Dark Knight' Says Christopher Nolan

The producer reveals that Zack Snyder's superhero adventure has a very long post-production schedule due to the flying scenes.
Producer Christopher Nolan reveals that Man of Steel is more challenging than The Dark Knight
One of the first names we heard associated with Man of Steel was producer Christopher Nolan, who was described as a "mentor" for this highly-anticipated project back in February 2010. The news got fanboys worldwide excited, due to the massive success of his Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight. Today, the producer revealed that this Superman project is a much greater undertaking that his Batman trilogy, while praising director Zack Snyder's work at the helm.

"Zack was the perfect man to take this on. He is unbelievably skilled at creating a coherent, cohesive world -- whether it's a very stylized world, like 300, or something that's more challenging, more varied, like he did with Watchmen. In my honest appraisal, taking on Superman and creating that world is far more difficult than creating the world of The Dark Knight. He has a lot of finishing to do on the movie -- it has a very long post-production schedule because, unlike Batman, Superman flies."

The filmmaker also joked that he feels guilty talking about Man of Steel, since he has, "nothing to do."

"I actually feel guilty talking about it because I'm sitting here having nothing to do to it. I try to be as supportive as I can, and I'm just amazed by what he is doing. It's not something I would know how to do."

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

1. CelluloidDreams

I bet....since "Superman Returns" was a 100% colossal joke!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

2. DBLOC

I know people refer to Nolan's take as realistic and some hate it while some love it. I think especially for DC Nolan's take is appreciated because the characters in the wrong hands are just overdone. Unlike Stan Lee & Marvel the DC characters are all created by different people, many of whom are dead now so producers just run with their own interpretation and no guide or limit and many times they run it into overkill...Nolan did the opposite...maybe he underdid the fantasy and can afford to let his hair down sometimes but to me its better to have a limit so that it doesnt just start looking silly...I mean Christopher Reeves was THE Superman but turning the world back in time was too much. Know when & where to stop. Nolan is good at this.

1 year agoby @DBLOCFlag

3. Fry_3000

@Micah-Delgado absolutely agree with you there, Snyder is great with visuals but story wise, well thank goodness Nolan is behind him otherwise man of steel would be another sucker punch attempt. Still can't wait to see what he's done. Fingers crossed

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

Couldn't have said it better myself, @Steve-UK-FilmFanatic.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

5. incmob

we will see if they are eating cake or crow when the film finally arrives. the trailers were good, but felt as if i had seen the same scenes countless times from other films. i like snyder and value nolans opinions but will still be torn on this until the film arrives.

1 year agoby @incmobFlag

6. Sean

@gumperman I wish it was June as well.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. gumperman

I wish it was June already.

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

8. Micah Delgado

@roberto Mata I agree. I have faith in Snyder. I liked 300 and Watchman. I (strangely) loved Legend of the Guardians, and Sucker Punch was a clusterf*ck. Can he do Superman visually? Absolutely. Can he do Superman in story? Who knows.

1 year agoby @Micah-DelgadoFlag

9. Roberto Mata

@bud2fresh Nolan is one of the best Directors in this Industry, all of his Films are a Masterpiece: Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, Inception, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and now his Co-producing Man of Steel, and he just said that Snyder has made a Superman, that he thinks, he couldn't pulled off. Snyder is a Good director, with some movies that are really good, such as Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen, but since he did the terrible Sucker Punch, I kind of lost faith in him, but I trust Nolan, when he says that Snyder, has made an Incredible Film, and there's no doubt about it, I Mean they have spent all most 3 years doing this film alone, is got to be a Masterpiece, by the time we see it in theaters this Summer..

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

10. Sean

@crypt lol :P

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. Sean

@superman81 I couldn't agree with you more on that.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. bud2fresh

nolans great and everything but who named him king sh*t? i mean im glad he was apart of making this but at the same time if he wasn't apart of making this then it wouldnt stop me from seeing it. WB is samrt enough not to have another "green lantern" fiasco so they whor* out nolan 2 the fanboys cause they know we now can make or break franchises. i luv it lol

1 year agoby @bud2freshFlag

13. Mr.K

I appreciate Nolan for trusting on Snyder for the Man Of Steel movie. You may argue that Nolan would be perfect for this project but in all honesty, he would just make another realistic take on Superman. Were talking about a hero that has no limitations and with Snyder on board, it looks like it has potential to be better than Batman and to be something more unique than the Nolan Batman films.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

14. ROFLitschristian

Of course it is. The Man of Steel and the Dark Knight are two totally separate characters, and all I hope is that Nolan differentiates them that way. I trust Nolan with all my heart, but let's face it, Snyder doesn't have the best track record. I'm hoping this is the one that will finally win me over. Snyder's all glare and no substance.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

Oh for the love of Rao! Enough with Man of Steel is Dark Knight this and Man of Steel is Dark Knight that! We get it!

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

16. Steve_UK_FilmFanatic

I don't understand this fascination with Nolan as a director in terms of every single comic book project. Nolan did a fantastic job with Batman, but in terms of mythology the Batman story arc is far less complicated than that of Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and the rest of the DC big hitters. Batman leant himself to the hyper reality of the gangster movie and Nolan did that well.

He worked in a world of limitation but as we are aware Superman has no limitation (as was the case with Green Lantern, which led to its failure) I just pray this movie fires on all cylinders and gives us a film worthy of the exploits of the greatest superhero in history.

1 year agoby @Steve-UK-FilmFanaticFlag

17. Superman81

I think its a huge compliment for Snyder that Nolan thinks he is doing a great job and feels he was the best choice for the movie. It's also very humble for Nolan to say Snyder is doing something Nolan wouldn't even begin to know how to do. I think Nolan could have pulled off directing Superman but perhaps he feels he would have made him too grounded and not have the touch Snyder does with certain projects.

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

18. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Wow, Snyder is doing something Nolan wouldn't know how to do? Damn.

1 year agoby @cryptFlag