'Man of Steel' Delves Into the Psychology Behind Superman Says Russell Crowe

The actor behind Superman's father Jor-El reveals that the story is a complex, modern-day take on the famed DC Comics supehero.
Man of Steel delves into Superman's psychology says Russell Crowe
Man of Steel delves into Superman's psychology says Russell Crowe
Warner Bros. has six months before the superhero reboot Man of Steel brings Superman back to theaters for the first time since 2006's Superman Returns. Star Russell Crowe, who plays Superman's father Jor-El, recently revealed that this version of the iconic DC Comics superhero is much different than previous versions, because it delves into the psychology of Superman.

"It's very complicated, it's really complex. I don't think anybody has really tried to get into the psychology of what it must be like to be Superman and what people would really respond like in a modern society if somebody like that just popped up. I think Zack Snyder was given a great deal of responsibility because when it comes to comic book heroes and superhero films the top of the food chain is Superman. I think the biggest indicator for me of how it's looking is that the financier of the film, Thomas Tull, has sent me gushing emails, he just loves it. I'm really looking foward to seeing it, it's a massive undertaking. It takes you on the ground to Krypton, it takes you to a planet where the sun is four times larger than ours and you get to experience that stuff. I think people are going to love it. If you've seen the trailers you realize that this Superman is not just floating through the air held up by a wire, this Superman is super sonic. I'm really looking forward to the way that people will respond to it."

Henry Cavill stars as the title character, with Amy Adams portraying Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as the nefarious Zod. We'll have to wait and see this summer if this complex, modern-day approach pays off at the box office.

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

Sources: Reelz

1. Josías Hernández Quintana

RELEASE THIS MOVIE ALREADYYYY!!!!!!

1 year agoby @Josas-Hernndez-QuintanaFlag

2. Letaelba788

Micah. I see what you mean... Allen`s remark is good... last friday I got a gorgeous Mercedes-Benz S-class since I been making $5123 this last 5 weeks and-even more than, ten thousand last munth. it's by-far the coolest job I've ever done. I began this three months/ago and immediately was earning over $76... per-hour. I follow instructions here,, =============bit90.com=============

1 year agoby @letaelba788Flag

3. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus Eh, just my personal observations and opinions.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Just when I think I know something about Big Blue and Bats, I learn more by the sec :D

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

5. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus I get that, but in my opinion it still wasn't conveyed with the intensity that they were trying to bring across. To me, and this is just my opinion, the illustration was soft. His eyes were soft with glints of anger. Maybe if the artist on the Superman project had been a part of it the illustration would have been more defined when you compare the anguish, fear, pain, and confusion used to capture the essence of what Clark felt. Especially in book two with the lost bewildered look he had at the dance in the flashback. You could see without any caption that he felt separate from the others in that room. You could see the distance between him and the others while he stood literally inches from them in a crowd. That was powerful. Batman's eyes, under a mask with that density and shape should be shadowed out. You shouldn't see his eyes until he was right in your breathing space. And yet, he shouldn't want them to be seen at all. Bruce Wayne being such a notable figure in Gotham, everyone pays attention to him, especially the criminals. The two identifying traits for Bruce are his eyes and his mouth. Imagine, sense they still went the rout with his refusal to take a life, any criminal that has time to sit and stew on it while he's in jail. They're going to think about him all the time once the terror subsides. They're going to eventually catch a headline about Bruce. Eventually, they would figure the two to be the same man. Only because Bruce has a tortured look in his eyes that is hard to "mask" and that will never fade as long as his soul is restless.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Well, they did make a point with showing Bruce's eyes under his cowl when most of the time we see them covered by a white transparent glare, which gives his persona the fear that criminals try to avoid

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

7. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus I think the myth of Batman has been tweaked to all its capacity. There isn't much to retell with such a simplistic story. To make even more clumsy as an amateur and to take certain aspects of the training he requires to perform the feats we've come to admire in his character and diminish them is an injustice. It's harder to follow such a character when he's become bumbling and whinny. I certainly don't look forward to Volume 2, but I'd read it out of sheer curiosity.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

8. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus They had that moment...they had a few to raise some brows. But the story in itself was just too watered down and predictable with certain elements.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Least they had the "WTF" moment with Alfred killing off a major character

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

10. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus Batman Earth One was quite interesting as well. I'm not sure I really care for that version of Bruce Wayne/Batman, but it is quite interesting all the same.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

11. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus To be honest, I couldn't really get into it. That all comes down to a matter of taste. I plan on giving it another chance though. It almost reminds me of Wild C.A.T.S. if I'm not mistaken. I may have it mixed up though. I do know a lot of characters from that Image series, Wild C.A.T.S. have been transferred into the DC Universe, like Grifter came from that team.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Don't suppose you could tell me if Stormwatch is worth the investment ?

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

13. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus I'd be glad to see one truly well made.

2 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Meh, I'm more of a werewolf guy. And we really need more of those

15. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus any yet, not much.

2 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@mieko-siede Least the first three are better selections than the last

17. Mieko_Siede

@ejk1 I'm not certain that it's just Twilight...it's all these incarnations of vampires in their various forms. Ann Rice, True Blood, Being Human, Twilight, and so many others constantly romanticizing the vampire or making them sympathetic predators with tortured souls with undercurrents or even blatant homo-erotic tendencies, I can't say Twilight completely damaged the genre. It may have put the nail in place on the coffin but it had its help, especially where men are concerned.

2 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

18. Mieko_Siede

@bawnian-dexeus I love the realism they conveyed with his emotions. How the thought crossed his mind to kill the dictator himself and eradicate all of his infantry. I love how as he hovered above the Daily Planet the conflict of that thought haunted him challenging his character. In the end it was really a compromise. He didn't have to physically do harm to him, but he didn't have to save him either. They truly did well with the telling of those two volumes. As you've said, he's the Superman of the 21st century. And again, yes, I do like the spin the put on Lex Luthor's story. I can't wait to see how it develops.

2 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

19. Phi

Also, based on the fact that Jimmy has not been cast I am kind of hoping that the first Superman will be mostly set on Krypton. That would be cool to watch but I do not think that will happen. However, that would make it different if we saw a two hour movie set on Krypton.

2 years agoby @PhiFlag

20. Phi

I really am hoping it does well, seeing as Superman is the only comic character I care about. I did like all other comic movies, but, Superman has always been my favorite. Honestly, the only one I cared about before we had all these comic movies released.

2 years agoby @PhiFlag

@ejk1 P.S. - As for back issues, Superman #13 and GL #7 have been a bitch to find.

@mieko-siede As for Earth One, I rather enjoyed, a little too much the last few pages of vol.2, where Supes takes care of the Tyrant without doing anything, nor saving him. Kind of sent the message clear that truly, this is the Superman of the 21st century. Now I'm anticipating vol.3 to see what the Luthor couple have planned. Love how Lex is married

@ejk1 I read all first three books before the first film came out. They didn't bother me in print because they were average at best and I read them for social reasons. I got into the whole movie adaptation because the friends who recommended the books to me were doing it, so I jumped the sparkling wagon. Saw the first movie with all those friends, and well, some books should never be made into movies. Like my profesor says, they don't care how bad they look or are received in general, it's a franchise and they will keep the model going until they bleed it dry of money, so there's a slight chance spin-offs will in fact happen

@ejk1 Ah, will do. Thanks for the notice

@mieko-siede I think Twilight has hurt the vampire genre for guys. I have no hatred for Twilight (nor any interest; I'm neutral on it), one just has to look at how guys treat the series on MW, IGN, etc. to see the opinion of the series. And I think that opinion of Twilight has definitely affected how guys view vampire properties.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

26. Mieko_Siede

@ejk1 Surprisingly I've enjoyed that series. At first I was skeptical.

2 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag