'Man of Steel' Casting Details Revealed by Zack Snyder

We also have new information about Hans Zimmer's score for this Superman reboot, and the runtime of the Comic-Con teaser.
Man of Steel casting details from Henry Cavill's audition revealed by Zack Snyder
Before director Zack Snyder took left for San Diego Comic-Con 2012 to show off the first footage from Man of Steel, he visited his alma mater, the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles for a Q&A panel with the students. Here's what the filmmaker had to say about the overwhelming casting process he went through for this Superman adventure.

"We had about 500 guys initially. We did this massive auditioning madness. It got down to the usual suspects in a pretty quick order. Henry Cavill was actually the first one we physically tested on film. We actually tested him in the Christopher Reeve Superman suit. And that was a big deal. That's a hard suit to pull off. Trust me. If you're just standing there in that suit, it's dodgy. It felt like we just bought it a costume shop. Plus, there's no mask. I've been around a few superhero costumes, and it's weird because when you're in the Superman costume it's just you from the neck up. And somebody just combed your hair. But Henry came out of the trailer when we were shooting a test and everybody thought Okay, that's Superman. He was awesome and did a great job."

In related news, composer Hans Zimmer spoke about the bizarre road he took in signing on to score Man of Steel. He shot down rumors in late 2010 that he signed on, although he had a change of heart. We reported last month that he was confirmed to compose the score.

"When the rumours came out that I was going to do Superman, the fact was that nobody had asked me! The horrible thing was that I had never met Zack Snyder and, suddenly, poor Zack must have been reading that the crazy German is going to be doing my movie and I've never even met him! So, I had to squash those rumours. Plus - and let's be honest - I am only human and John Williams is super-human. That Superman theme is beloved and iconic. It's a pretty hard act to follow and it's like me saying to you can you turn this interview in to a decent piece of Shakespeare. You'll say 'Maybe not today...!'

I phoned Zack and said I am really, really sorry about these rumours - it wasn't me, it's just a misunderstanding. You've got your composer and I never tried to get in between relationships or anything like that. We started talking and he told me about his ideas for the character and his take was really interesting. I started getting a couple of ideas as a result. I said to Zack - and Warners and Chris (Nolan) and everyone involved - "don't talk to me about it until we finish [The Dark Knight Rises]. Within 15 minutes of finishing it, we were talking about it."

Finally, we also have word that the Man of Steel Comic-Con teaser has a runtime of one minute and 27 seconds. Stay tuned as we'll be bringing you this highly-anticipated video as soon as it's available.

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

1. bipolarmassive

Here's the comicon release version of the trailer. It's a bit blurry, but still effective. It's a lot better then the one that was attached to The Dark Knight Rises.

2. THE JOKER

All I know is that I am actually really excited for this movie!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

3. Sean

@addictionnonfatel Okay, i'll see if i can find the music you mentioned of, that was used in the trailer for Man of Steel.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

4. bipolarmassive

@themoviefanatic

You're most welcome! As I stated earlier in this glorious thread on the MOS, I suspected they were going to use either John Wiliams score from previous Superman films, or they were going to segue with a Hans Zimmer theme (from his previous work) given he's going to write and conduct the MOS movie. The musical score they used for the trailer is from the the 1998 movie, The Thin Red Line in which he conducted is named "Journey To The Line." Believe it or not, I've been training/working out to a few choice themes of his for years; I keep adding them to my ipod as a select few keep presenting themselves; the first being the one used for this trailer, and the latest "Time" from the movie Inception. I use them during my workouts; as they inspire me to push (myself) forward. I do hope that as the MOS draws closer, they use all of Hans Zimmer's work. Here's a list of a few that I'm hoping they use for future MOS trailers:
    Journey To The Line - The Thin Red Line (already used)
    Time - Inception
    The Dark Knight - The Dark Knight (up until 7:17)
    Chevaliers de Sangreal - The Davinci Code
    Hummel Gets The Rockets - The Rock (listen up until 3:45)
    All are very haunting scores and worthy for the MOS....you can find them all by name on youtube! give a listen and let me know your thoughts? Cheers!!!!

5. Sean

@addictionnonfatel Cool! Thank you for the description of the trailer!

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. bipolarmassive

@themoviefanatic

Excerpts from The Trailer Man Of Steel:

Jor El:
    "What if a child dream of becoming other then what society had intended? What if a child aspires to something greater.

Jonathan Kent:
    "People are afriad of what they don't understand!"
    "It's not (Kryptonian vessel that carried baby Kal El) from this world Clark, and neither are you."
    "You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be Clark. Who ever that mans is good character or bad, it's going to change the world.

Clark Kent:
    "Answer my questions. Where do I come from?"
    "My father believed if the world found out who I really was, they would reject me, and they would fear me. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?"

A mothers voice over of one of the bus crash survivors:
    "My son was in the bus! He saw what Clark did!"

7. bipolarmassive

@PRPclYSXoIpoTW That's an excellent theory, flashbacks are always interesting and hold their own within the story. However, I think we will see Smallville's Clark Kent/Superman throughout the movie and it's only after the dust settles and all is said and done (his battles with Zod @ Faora including his confrontation with the U.S. military) will we see The Daily Planets mild mannered reporter. Up until that point and before the world knows him as this alien they call Superman, Clark had no identity to hide. So when we see the scenes of Clark riding his bike in midtown Metropolis, enters the The Daily Planet, walks into the elevator, and reaches into his pocket and pulls out his trademark black framed glasses gives me the feeling it's towards the end of the movie. But I don't know, I just love speculating Lol....Anxious as hell to see it!!!

8. Sean

@addictionnonfatel YouTube? Okay, i'll see if i can find anything from it on there.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

9. bipolarmassive

@themoviefanatic youtube....but i downloaded it from frostwire. It comes in three parts.

10. Sean

@addictionnonfatel What website had it before it was taken down ?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. Superman81

@addictionnonfatel I agree, I think this will be an origin movie big time. Much like Batman Begins. With Krypton and the war and them showing Clark grow up with the Kents, maybe mostly flashback scenes. I think its going to be very well done.

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

12. bipolarmassive

You know what they say, the trailer usually turns out to be better then the movie itself more times then not; as we all witnessed with Superman Returns. In this case, I have absolute confidence that we Superman Fans have nothing to worry about this time around. From seeing the trailer, I suspect that only towards the end of the movie will we then see a familiar Clark Kent with the spectacles and employee of the Daily Planet....

13. bipolarmassive

@themoviefanatic Watched it online before they (WB) had taken it down.....

14. Sean

@addictionnonfatel You saw it at Comic-Con ?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

15. bipolarmassive

@superman81 I just watched the trailer....and it's beautiful! I got goose bumps and a chill just watching it! Perfect score used for the trailer! 2013....MAN OF STEEL!

16. Sean

@addictionnonfatel Thank you for the description of the Man of Steel trailer. From the description, it seems like it will be a pretty cool trailer for it and of course the movie itself, so far seems like it will be pretty amazing!

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

17. Superman81

@addictionnonfatel It's all over YouTube but its very distant so I am waiting for the trailer. But the speeches by Jor El and Jonathan Kent were good and moving. That whole teaser was better than Superman Returns. I think this could be the most epic movie of 2013 and probably the greatest Superman movie ever. But there is lots more to come

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

18. bipolarmassive

@felipe-11 Music for the trailer is from the flick 'The Thin Red Line' called "Journey To The Line" composed by Hans Zimmer. It's a very haunting piece.....

19. bipolarmassive

@superman81@themoviefanatic@felipe-11

*Spoiler Alert* If you don't want to know the description or details to the trailer, do not proceed....

We see flashes of Smallville. The farm house. Clark running in a red cape as a child.

This looks VERY different from Superman films of the past

An older, bearded Clark walks a snowy road in an arctic town.

We hear Russell Crowe's voice talking about children being inspired to greater things

It sounds like it's cut with Kevin Costner's voice. Both fathers are giving Clark/Kal advice on how to become who he wants to be

We see Clark being brought to the Kent barn and shown the spaceship that has been hidden there

Clark holds a small piece of metal with the S logo on the end

We're jumping back and forth through time periods

Clark, as a teen, saved a bus of kids

The bus crashed in the water and we see him swimming, pulling the door off

"People are afraid of what they don't understand," says Costner

We see Clark talking to Jor-El. They're standing right in front of one another, but I think it's a holographic projection (though it looks live)

We see Superman in the suit. First from a distance and then walking across a snowy plain

There are flashing of Superman flying and one of him catching someone falling off a building

A single flash of Amy Adams' Lois Lane
    One flash has Superman (in costume) - seemingly in handcuffs - being led down a hallway by a security force

We see Clark (without seeing his face) stepping into an elevator and begin to lift glasses to his face

There's a flash of Clark, shirtless, with his whole body on fire

Another of him crashing into the bank vault we saw in the first still. It looks like he's been thrown.

I'm not great at describing music, but it's decidedly more somber than Williams's score.

The whole look of it has a very dark, autumny feel to it all.

There's a major discussion in the narration about the world turning against Superman because they don't trust him if he ever appears.

There's a flash of Zod, but literally so fast you just see his face.

Apparently someone witnessed young Clark as a child saving the bus with his powers.

None of the trademark Snyder shots in the trailer. No slo-mo or shuttery frames

20. bipolarmassive

@superman81 This great news! Now it's just a matter of hours not days as to when the trailer hits the net! I'm excited!

21. Superman81

@addictionnonfatel I read a review from someone at comic con, they showed the teaser and some other footage. It was described as dramatic and epic. The viewer said a guy actual got very emotional from the trailer and asked to see it again so Snyder let them show it once more. Good news coming out of comic con about MOS so far

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

22. Sean

@felipe-11 Yeah, i can understand why Zimmer hasn't finished finished composing anything usable yet. I can imagine that, that is alot of work for him to get done.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

23. Sean

@felipe-11 Oh, i had not thought of that regarding the trailer.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

24. Replicant

@addictionnonfatel@themoviefanatic I doubt they'll use either one. Let's not forget that trailers rarely have music from the actual soundtrack for that precise reason. Most trailers just use production music (which is awesome) and/or tracks from another movie. Like the Avatar trailer, it had a track from "The Island" and a track by a production company. They won't be using the John Williams track in the movie nor trailer to not make any associations with the Reeves/Routh movies, and Zimmers probably hasn't finished composing anything usable yet.

@themoviefanatic It's just one day earlier, that stuff always happens. I remember X-Men Origins came out 2 days earlier when I was in uruguay because it was a holiday, so it just made more sense to release on that day.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

25. Sean

@addictionnonfatel Maybe they will use a little bit of both composers music, if some of Hans Zimmers music for Man of Steel is finished.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

26. bipolarmassive

@themoviefanatic@felipe-11@superman81

I'm curious as to what music will be used for the trailer? Will they go with the John Williams theme or one of Hans Zimmer's themes from his previous work; since Zimmer's score for MOS has yet to be written....

27. Sean

@felipe-11 Oh, then why do they get to see it first then ?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

28. Replicant

@themoviefanatic nah, I was just kidding :P

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

29. Sean

@felipe-11 You mean it is because not all movie websites are able to post it all on the same day?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag