'Mad Max: Fury Road' Official Plot Details Released

Tom Hardy stars as Max Rockatansky in director George Miller's apocalyptic adventure set during the Road War.
Principal photography began July 9 on the dystopian action adventure Mad Max: Fury Road, a Kennedy Miller Mitchell production written and directed by Mad Max creator and Academy Award winner George Miller (Happy Feet). The film will be presented by Warner Bros. Pictures in association with Village Roadshow Pictures. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

Mad Max: Fury Road - the fourth in the franchise's history - stars Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises) in the title role of Max Rockatansky, alongside Oscar winner Charlize Theron (Monster, Prometheus) as Imperator Furiosa.

According to Miller, "Mad Max is caught up with a group of people fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by the Imperator Furiosa. This movie is an account of the Road War which follows. It is based on the Word Burgers of the History Men and eyewitness accounts of those who survived."

Mad Max: Fury Road also stars Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: First Class) as Nux; Hugh Keays-Byrne (Mad Max, Sleeping Beauty) as Immortan Joe; and Nathan Jones (Conan the Barbarian) as Rictus Erectus. Collectively known as The Wives, Zoë Kravitz (X-Men: First Class) plays Toast, Riley Keough (Magic Mike) is Capable, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Transformers: Dark of the Moon) is Splendid. They are joined by supermodel Abbey Lee Kershaw as The Dag and Courtney Eaton as Fragile, both of whom are making their big screen debuts. Also featured in the movie are Josh Helman as Slit, Jennifer B. Hagan as Miss Giddy, and singer/songwriter/performer iOTA as Coma-Doof Warrior.

The cast is rounded out by well-known Australian actors John Howard, Richard Carter, supermodel Megan Gale, Angus Sampson, Joy Smithers, Gillian Jones, Melissa Jaffer and Melita Jurisic.

Miller is directing the film from a screenplay he wrote with Brendan McCarthy and Nick Lathouris. Miller also produces the film, along with longtime producing partner, Oscar nominee Doug Mitchell (Babe, Happy Feet), and P.J. Voeten. Iain Smith, Graham Burke and Bruce Berman serve as executive producers.

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes Academy Award-winning director of photography John Seale (The English Patient); action unit director and stunt coordinator Guy Norris (Australia); editor Margaret Sixel (Happy Feet); production designer Colin Gibson (Babe); Oscar-winning costume designer Jenny Beavan (A Room with a View); and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt (Knowing).

Shooting on Mad Max: Fury Road is taking place in Africa with the support of the Australian government. Originally slated to be shot in Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia, the production was forced to relocate due to severe flooding, rendering the Australian landscape unsuitable for the film. The rain turned the area into an oasis instead of the post-apocalyptic terrain that is the setting for Max's world.

Mad Max: Fury Road comes to theaters May 15th, 2015 and stars Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy, Nicholas Hoult, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Zoë Kravitz, Riley Keough, Josh Helman, Nathan Jones. The film is directed by George Miller.

Sources: Warner Bros.

1. Lastwerdz

No kids,ZERO,please we had enough with "Peter Pan vs Tina Turner"

2 years agoby @lastwerdzFlag

2. THE JOKER

@skywise Glad to see we are still on the same page!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 Amen to that brother.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

4. THE JOKER

@ChiRep-1 all he needs is the little hat!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

5. ChiRep_1

He looks Amish

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

6. THE JOKER

@skywise@narrator I am excited for the car destruction! I definitely understand where you guys are coming from with the continuing projects that have been dead for a long time... it does show the lack of creativity anymore... No one has fresh ideas... Until they do, lets watch some cars destroy each other!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

I should really proof before I send something that long...

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@narrator yes yes I definatly agree with you on just about everything. Even though Gibson has had his issues he has made some damn good movies since. The Beaver was a very very underated movie for both the star and its director. He was fantastic in it. He could come back for a last MAX movie but I get the feeling they are planning a trilogy with this one. I read somewhere that Miller had already said there would be 2 at least. Maybe they will add some continuity this time around, that might be interesting. But I dont think Miller is ready to tell the story of OLD Max yet. Remeber the old Indiana Jones? It was...well what can I say that hasn't already been said?

But your right, I learned my lesson about getting over hyped for a new installment in a franchise that has been dead for a loooong time, particularly when that film is a direct continuation of the characters life (and Indiana I am looking at you again)

No I AM aprehensive but damn if I am not excited for some all out post apocalyptic Car destruction.

Oh and as far as a movie that reminded me of Mad MAx...well Road Warrior and Thunderdome really was Neil Marshall's Doomsday. Granted that movie couldnt figure out what movie it wanted to be but there were most definatly some very obvious Mad MAx homages in that one. But like you said....the budget. Doomsday was not an expensive movie in movie terms but that is what I like about Marshall, he relaly thinks outside the box.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

9. Josh

Can Tom Hardy just always have a beard. Please?

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

I understand and fully agree with what you're saying, @skywise, in terms of the past three films being segregated episodes of the Road Warrior's life. However, my point stands that this sequel is coming late in the game. Is Hollywood ready for a film like the old films? I mean, name the last film that was like Mad Max in tone or nature that had this type of a budget. Will Miller's style have changed so much that this installment will taint the name and throw others off from watching the classics? these are questions I like to think about.

The fact that Mel's not in it is a huge minus (and I'm fairly sure it's all political with his recent misfortunes), and until I know exactly when in the timeline this story takes place, I'll remain cautious of getting too pumped for it. Time changes things, as we all know. As you've pointed out with his latest films, Miller's style (if his animated films are anything to go by) has changed a little, and whether that'll effect the potential this film might have had ten years ago remains to be seen.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator The previous series did not really have THAT much continuity between them though. They were like...episodes in the life of Max. This seems like it will be no different. Max wanders the wastes, gets involved in an adventure that he doesnt really want to deal with and its all recorded by the survivors.

I read that Miller had doubles and some tripples of every car and there were a rediculous ammount of featured cars. This is good news because it sounds like he plans on doing most of the effects without digital which is the best way to do car chase movies.

There is a lot of potential here but I am a little worried because his last two films were Happy Feet 1 and 2.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Definitely having mixed feelings about this. The production value seems great, but the fact that they're making a sequel this late in the game, and without having Mel involved... it all seems, as @skywise said, desperate. I can't help but fear that modern day audience members that haven't had the pleasure of seeing Mad Max (my personal favorite of the three), The Road Warrior, or Beyond Thunderdome, will have a hard time appreciating this sequel, should it continue in the vein of the other films.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@slysnide Nice to see you back on MW

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

If anyone can take over this series Hardy can. While this might be a cry of desperation for Miller, I am excited about this film.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

15. THE JOKER

BRING IT ON!!!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Horrible looking facial hair

17. slysnide

Nice to see the franchise's creator helming the project. Lookin' forward to it.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

18. SherlockHolmes2009

Sounds like it will be good

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag