'Logan's Run' Gets Ryan Gosling

Nicolas Winding Refn is in talks to direct this sci-fi remake about a man trying to outlive his pre-determined date with death.
Ryan Gosling will star in the Logan's Run remake for Warner Bros.
Ryan Gosling will star in the Logan's Run remake for Warner Bros.
Warner Bros. is closing a deal for actor Ryan Gosling to star in the remake of Logan's Run. The studio is also finalizing a deal for Nicolas Winding Refn to direct.

Ryan Gosling just recently worked with Nicolas Winding Refn on the action project Drive, which is set for release sometime next year and centers on a Hollywood stunt driver who also takes on gigs as a criminal getaway driver.

The Logan's Run remake seems to be finally moving forward after many years of delays. Bryan Singer was originally attached to direct and, most recently, Carl Rinsch was set to direct before leaving the project in favor of Universal's 47 Ronin. Alex Garland wrote the Logan's Run screenplay.

The story is set in a domed utopian society which is protected from the fallout of the 23rd Century apocalypse. Although the residents live in utter peace and harmony, everyone is required to die at age 30. Ryan Gosling will play Logan 5, a "sandman" whose job is to catch those who try to escape their requisite death. As Logan 5 approaches his own death sentence, he goes on the run from his coworkers.

Production is said to start sometime this fall. A release date has not been determined yet.

Logan's Run is in development . The film is directed by Nicolas Winding Refn.

Sources: Deadline

1. Lane

I don't even have the original second one. Funny story... I actually had it at one point, had bought it right after getting the first one. But I took it back without having opened it with the intention of getting TDC (which hadn't been released yet). That was so long ago. :(

I wish to God I hadn't done that now... cuz then atleast I'd have the movie, even if it was the more campy one.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

2. Lane

Agreed :(

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

Epic fail :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

4. Lane

Yeah, its pretty cool.

I REALLY, really want to see the Donner version. I saw a clip on youtube of the changed ending and was tempted to watch it but I didn't want to spoil things for when I actually get the DVD. Speaking of which, that should be my next priority after another season of Smallville. How I can own the first film but not the second is a fail on my part.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

Donner version rules. It was the vision The Donner had.

And no, didn't know that :)

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

6. Lane

Superman II is easily a 5 star film. Its still the best, especially for its time. Plus, it had less Hackman/Lex and more ZOD!!!

Still need to buy/see the Donner version. :(

BTW, Supes. Did you know Terrence Stamp does the voice of Jor-El on Smallville? :)

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

X-Men 1: 3.5
    X-Men 2: 4.5
    Superman Returns: 3.5.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

8. Lane

I'm glad they're trying to keep the film franchise alive in some way, I just wish things could be different. I will admit, there are some versions of Superman on film and TV I haven't liked/shouted about or bothered trying to get into, but we'll see. I've said what I think about how WB handled the SMR situation in the past. Hell, I'm still pissed that BMR never got a worthy sequel and that was almost 20 years ago now... lol, I'm just a nostalgia nut.

My ratings are:
    X-Men 1 - 3.5 stars
    X-Men 2 - 4.5 stars
    Superman Returns - 4 stars

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

I'm with you guys. Singer did well with the first two X films, as well as Returns. The yhad flaws, but they were enjoyable and catered to film critics and comic buffs as much as he could while putting his two cents in there. X-Men - 3 stars. X2: X-Men United - 4.5 stars, and Superman Returns - 4 stars.

On the Superman Returns sequel, I'm glad they're rebooting. I think the right people are doing it, and that Returns was a decent send of to the old franchise.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

10. Lane

Number 2 was EPIC. God, I want that Superman Returns sequel... :(

I don't think there's a minority on Returns, BTW. Maybe more so now than when it first came out. But after its initial release, those who didn't love it hated it. I saw 2 kinds of reviews for it - 2 star and 4 star. That was it. I was definitely in the 4 star majority. I loved it so much when it was first released, though that love has now dwindled after years without a sequel. :(

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

11. Daveactor7

@Lane agreed. I think you and I are the minority of the ppl who liked Superman Returns. I loved the X-men films he did as well. Especially number 2.

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

12. Lane

LMFAO Supes.

@Dave, I have seen it maybe twice, which is not nearly enough. It was definitely his "best" in terms of it being a breakout film, but once you know the twist, it doesn't really have that lasting appeal. I thought it was funny when Scary Movie made fun of it, lol.

Still, I'm sure I will buy it eventually so I can rewatch it whenever I want. Singer is still one of my favorite directors. Mostly cuz he brought my Superman back, but I loved what he did with X-Men too. :)

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

@Lane Valkyrie had its moments, but there seemed to be long stretches of blah blah blah blah. I don't mind blah blah blah blah when it's interesting blah blah blah blah, but this wasn't interesting blah blah blah blah.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

14. Daveactor7

@Lane agreed. Have you seen "The Usual Suspects"? I thought that was his best movie

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

15. Lane

Kinda wish Singer was still directing this. He needs to cement himself in a movie outside of the comic book genre. Especially after Superman Returns, where many felt he faltered. He needs good projects like this to redeem himself. I still haven't seen Valkyrie but I heard it was pretty bad, lol.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

16. Tug

Gosling is one of my (few) favorite actors working today, he doesn't strike me as the type who would sign on to something that's half-assed so if he's onboard this project I'm sure it'll be great.

3 years agoby @tug417Flag

17. RojoDiablo

I actually really liked Valhalla Rising and ole One Eye not speaking throughout. Hardy was good in Bronson also.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

18. ZanyZap

I'm still pissed about him being snubbed for Blue Valentine, so I will support his next movie regardless. :P

That's a little too far, but this could be great. And I heard the script for Drive is excellent.

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

Although i loved this movie when i was a kid, i think this is one of those examples where a remake might not be such a bad idea...as long as the main concept is left intact. I would love to see a decent remake.

even tho i watched it as a kid, the movie is much much older than i am so i think modern tech could really benefit the Logan's Run concept.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

20. Cripple

@Supes haha good point. Definitely not Refn's best, but have you seen Bronson? It's amazing and Tom Hardy is incredible. I highly recommend watching it if you haven't.

3 years agoby @crippleFlag

As long as the protagonist talks this time lol. Anyone who has seen Valhalla Rising knows my gripe there :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

22. MovieManiac

Great News. IMO, Ryan is one of the most underrated actors working in hollywood and it is great that he is actually getting bigger roles.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

23. RojoDiablo

Not sure Ryan is a good fit with action type movies, he seems better suited for drama's imo but maybe Drive will change my mind if it's good.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

24. Cripple

Holy hell yes!!!!! Gosling and Refn teaming up again for this? I can't wait!!!

3 years agoby @crippleFlag

25. Jimthar

sounds like a weird mix of minority report and repo men.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

26. Daveactor7

Yeah thats nice so wheres the Xmen trailer?

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag