'Lethal Weapon' Remake Moving Forward at Warner Bros.

The studio is also considering remakes of 'The Wild Bunch', 'Westworld', 'The Dirty Dozen', 'Tarzan' and 'Oh, God!'
Warner Bros. developing a Lethal Weapon remake with writer Will Beall
Warner Bros. developing a Lethal Weapon remake with writer Will Beall
Warner Bros. is ramping up development on its remake slate with such titles as Lethal Weapon, The Wild Bunch, Westworld, The Dirty Dozen, Tarzan and Oh, God!.

The studio's new priority on remakes comes after the departure of Warner executive Jessica Goodman at the end of 2010. Warner Bros. is now reorganizing her portfolio of projects, which will be getting new leases on life.

The Lethal Weapon remake is the first project to move forward, with the studio hiring Will Beall to write the remake script. Beall is a former LAPD detective who garnered attention for his writing with the script Tales from the Gangster Squad. Beall's pitch maintained the buddy-cop theme with a hard-R edge that the studio was looking for.

The Dirty Dozen and Tarzan remakes have been in development for many years. We reported back in 2008 that Stephen Sommers was directing the Tarzan remake, although a deal was never made. In 2007, we reported that Zak Penn was writing the Tarzan remake, although it is unlikely he is still involved with the project.

As for The Wild Bunch, it is believed that Warner Bros. is enticed by the success of the True Grit, to make their own mark with a new Western remake. The Ethan Coen/Joel Coen remake has made over $129 million at the domestic box office since its December 22 release.

You can Click Here! to read about a number of theoretical scenarios that could play out for these new projects.

Lethal Weapon was released January 1st, 1987 and stars Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, Mitch Ryan, Tom Atkins, Darlene Love, Traci Wolfe, Jackie Swanson. The film is directed by Richard Donner.

The Dirty Dozen was released June 15th, 1967 and stars Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Richard Jaeckel, George Kennedy, Trini López. The film is directed by Robert Aldrich.

Tarzan comes to theaters July 1st, 2016 and stars Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz, Alexander Skarsgård, Samuel L. Jackson, Djimon Hounsou, John Hurt. The film is directed by David Yates.

Oh, God! was released October 7th, 1977 and stars John Denver, George Burns, Teri Garr, Donald Pleasence, Ralph Bellamy, William Daniels, Barnard Hughes, Paul Sorvino. The film is directed by Carl Reiner.

1. Xenon

I'll ignore this one

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Titanictom

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!1Martin Riggs's Not the only Crazyyy in Town!!!!!!

4 years agoby @titanictomFlag

3. Emmytt

why!?

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

4. Vanboy

Oh, God! was already remade. It was called Bruce Almighty. I've been hearing about Westworld for yeeeeeeeears, back when Arnold The Govenamtor was poised to be in it, before his political career started. Maybe it's finally getting off the ground. I was telling my buddy that Josh Brolin should play the part that his father James played in the original. And Jason Bateman could play the Richard Benjamin character. I know that the robots that become self aware and take over has been done too much, but this is one of the first, so it has the right to be made without looking like it's trying to copy something else, and keep it faithful to the original. I hate when director change things so much from the original, that it sinks the movie, like the remake of The Fog. There are a it of fans, and if they change everything, fans will be alienated and spread the bad word of mouth. I know I will.

4 years agoby @vanboyFlag

5. angelheart1016

@Narrator Thanks for that ! People just have to read the whole story before making any accusation.

4 years agoby @angelheart1016Flag

6. Messenger

Guys, guys, guys, the originals are still here. That's what matters. Don't go watch it, I'll go see LW before I will the new Spider-man.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

7. Daveactor7

@Narrator oh. lol thanks man. I didnt read his entire comment, I was just angry at the very notion of that

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

8. CUPID

Why do they do this Sh*t.
    Get some new stuff an stop remaking classic.

4 years agoby @cupidFlag

Lol @Dave. @Angelheart was simply stating that with the way things are going I don't doubt that we'll see such dastardly moves. While comparing or aligning Lethal Weapon with the likes of Casablanca is a little weird, I see his/her point.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

10. Daveactor7

@Block lmao

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

11. K.Guy

@Dave ANGEL DUST, MAN!! LOL!

4 years agoby @kguyFlag

12. Daveactor7

@angelheart a remake of "Gone with the wind" "CASABLANCA" or "sound of music" what in the hell are you smoking?

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

13. K.Guy

Wake up!! And try to have new ideas, not a remake, but a new NEW film, not inspired by something. You guys are filmmakers, make your own story once at least. I create stories all the time, it's so easy.

4 years agoby @kguyFlag

14. RojoDiablo

If you're going to remake Lethal Weapon, how bout waiting at least 44 years after the original, not 24. 2031 just feels better to me! I know I can wait that long to watch it. Now the Wild bunch might be cool, if done right.

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

15. Nick kaji

YOU GOT TO BE KITTING ME , WHAT HAPPEN TO LETHAL WEAPON 5. stop remaking classic you F*CKS.

4 years agoby @Omega007Flag

A much as I want to say, "Over my dead body," this could surprise some people... .. ...
    .. ... .. *thinks about it in one second as he sees the Dirty dozen up there as well*... .. ...

Oh f*ck it, over my dead body.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

17. Seawolf63

Hollywood can make remakes until they are blue in the face; the fact of the matter is, we can simply ignore these abominations and continue to watch those ORIGINAL classics that we adore. Perhaps after lackluster profit margins they will come to their collective senses, perhaps, but I doubt it.....

4 years agoby @seawolf63Flag

18. Justhim_sir

Remake the ones that is not classic and haven't been shown a thousand times on tv.

4 years agoby @justhim-sirFlag

19. TheDarkJoker

F*ck no. Watch them put like Jason Stathom as Riggs. If that ever happens I wont watch it

4 years agoby @TheDarkJokerFlag

20. slysnide

That's it! NO MORE! This JOKE has gone far enough!!! NO MORE REMAKES OF CLASSICS!!!!!!!!!!

4 years agoby @slysnideFlag

21. Xenon

I've sworn off on certain remakes, I refuse to watch any new Halloween films. Pin head, Chucky and a number of other remakes.
    Next thing I know they might remake Star Gate.

I'll refuse to watch a remake of lethal Weapon.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

22. Furankisan

So Warner's is remaking my Blu-ray collection. LOUSY HUMAN BASTERDS!

4 years agoby @frank-ballFlag

23. Furankisan

DAMN YOU!...... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

4 years agoby @frank-ballFlag

24. Yahzee

a remake to my beloved Lethal Weapon? I'm too old for this sh*t...

4 years agoby @yahzeeFlag

25. bud2fresh

It would be awesome to see a GOOD remake of Greystoke Lengend of Tarzan!!!! I love that movie!!!!!

4 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

26. moviegeek

A REMAKE?? a sequel is one thing, but why a remake!!

4 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

27. renodc

Some characters are made iconic by the actors that played them and they become those characters in people's minds. In the case of Lethal Weapon, I would say for the overwhelming majority of people Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh and to try to remake Lethal Weapon with new actors is borderline sacrilege.

Oh, God! without George Burns is just blasphemous.

4 years agoby @renodcFlag

28. CelluloidDreams

WHY!???????? V

4 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

29. Stivdion

Now people wonder why some people download movies using the torrent, its cos of these REBOOTS movies..damn REBOOTS!!

4 years agoby @stivdionFlag