Kevin Smith Explains the 'Cop Out' Title Switch

The director talks about why 'A Couple of Dicks' would not fly as the title of his new film.
Yesterday we gave you the first trailer for Kevin Smith's new film - with the brand new title - Cop Out, which was formerly titled A Couple of Dicks. Entertainment Weekly got to chat with Smith about the controversial title and explained why it needed to be changed.

Warner Bros. decided, "Hey man, we'll call the networks and see if we're going to get any problems [with A Couple of Dicks as a title], months before the movie's ever going to come out." The top 3 networks - CBS, ABC, NBC - said we can't run one of your spots before 9 o'clock.

I'm like, "Well what about Inglourious Basterds?" And I guess, because of the spelling, they got away with it. So we were like, "Can we call it A Couple of D.I.C.s?" Because that's the proper acronym for detectives, Detective In Charge. And [the networks] kicked that back as well. It was the pluralizing of any form of dick, whether it was d-i-c-k or any derivation.

So my feeling was like, it's an R-rated movie, so who the f- are we talking to anyway before 9 o'clock? Warner Bros's feeling was like, "Hey man, we have to advertise to the sports audience on Saturday and Sunday and all those sporting events usually take place before 9 p.m. in the evening." At which point, I was like, "Oh wow, you guys are way smarter than me."

Smith also revealed how the film almost was just called A Couple of Cops and how they came upon the current title.

So for months now, they've always had A Couple of Cops as kind of this fallback thing - a placeholder, essentially. And then all of a sudden, one of the producers of the movie was like, "Hey they're locking the title, because the trailer is going to be put on Sherlock Holmes." And I was like, "This is an abundance of wonderful and horrible information." I want to be on Sherlock Holmes because everyone on the planet will probably go see it on Christmas, but I don't want it to be A Couple of Cops. That just seems like we didn't even try! We went from a really clever title to the least clever title of all time. I was like, "God that title is going to feel like such a f-ing cop out." And [the producer] goes, "We should just call the movie that."

Click Here! to read more from Smith about why he likes the new title and more.

Cop Out was released February 26th, 2010 and stars Bruce Willis, Tracy Morgan, Juan Carlos Hernández, Cory Fernandez, Ana de la Reguera, Jason Hurt, Jeff Lima, Sean Cullen. The film is directed by Kevin Smith.

1. Chad Vital

lol

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

2. Josh

This is the same kind of out of context bullsh*t that makes "c*cks his weapon" and "Essex" set off Net Nanny filters.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

3. Chad Vital

"there is no such thing as a DOUCHBALL. homo."

1- nice big comeback with "homo" lol
    2- and you're the only one of your kind (doucheball) :)

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

4. Err

kevin smith's movies are hit n' miss in my opinion, and although i like tracy morgan very much as a comedian, he tends to be a terrible actor, so who knows.

4 years agoby @err2005Flag

5. TheKingofAmerica

everyong is an artist

4 years agoby @thekingofamericaFlag

6. reelmein

oh ok

4 years agoby @reelmeinFlag

7. I AM FRATSON

Honestly...How can you talk sh*t on this man. Because he is taking on bigger movies then his previous. WHO CARES?! Why should he do what everyone expects. The man is an artist and if he wants to take on a bigger type movie, different then the Clerks and all the others, let him. Kevin Smith is one of the few men in Hollywood you can talk sh*t on. Ive enjoyed all of his work. From acting, to directing, and the comics he has written. Man is a genius.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

8. TheKingofAmerica

Punihsment 2012, do you wanna have sexual relations with a man? Can that man be me? Get a picture so that I can do naughty things to myself while imagining you. Oh, and kevin smith sucks

4 years agoby @thekingofamericaFlag

9. Punishment 2012

there is no such thing as a DOUCHBALL. homo..

4 years agoby @dizoyleFlag

10. Chad Vital

Punishment, you're retarded dude. Sorry. Communist Russia? Really? That was your big insult? You can say stupid sh*t and can VERBALLY attack Kevin Smith for no reason, but I can't attack you for attacking somebody else? I'm sticking up for the guy. Apparantly I can't do that or tell you that your comment was pointless? Do you know you contradicted yourself there? Then you say next time you have a thought let it go... hmm bingo. Exactly what I thought when I read your post. MAYBE if you weren't a doucheball, I wouldn't have to talk sh*t to YOU since seem to randomly talk sh*t about somebody who doesn't even deserved to be sh*t talked about in the first place. Your post was uncalled for. Don't give me that freedom of speech bullsh*t. If have nothing worth while to say, then just don't say anything dude. You have no respect it seems. If you want to live with that big character flaw that's all you, I'm just pointing it out so you know what you're doing, otherwise you will never learn.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

11. Marcianel

Really a educative and informative post, the post is good in all regards,I am glad to read this post.

4 years agoby @marcianelFlag

12. Masta_Chiefed

After I read he was working on the show Degrassi, I became very frightened for this man's prospects in future filmmaking.

4 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

13. SupermanEmpire

Smith WTF happened to you big guy? You used to be on the cutting artistic edge in this town, did you start feeding into your own f*cken hype? seriously dude, I think you have done one too many evenings with yourself in front of a crowds riddled with privilidged, rich, liberal little D-Bags. More then any other director, I used to view you as someone who actually captured the essence and spirit of your basic, half way intelligent middle class young person. You went from producing some of the most believable licks of dialog in the biz, to a typical fall-back studio has been...after the Cop Out trailer, I think I'm done Sir...enjoy the numbers my friend. You coulda been a contendah!

4 years agoby @supermanempireFlag

14. Reynolds

I have to say that the film does look promising and i think that Smith did prove a good point with Inglorious Basterds but whatever. Title does not dictate a film

4 years agoby @nukkamcFlag

15. Punishment 2012

i was using my god given right to speak my mind. so Chad Vital you can go back to communist russia where you belong. i can say anything i want. and your verbal assault on me is unneeded. if kevin smith has an issue with it, then we will talk about it. but i dont think that will happen. so the next time you have a thought, let it go..

4 years agoby @dizoyleFlag

16. Chad Vital

Lol he's funny. You guys are *ssholes my god grow up. Who talks sh*t on Kevin Smith? As if he's THAT important to talk about that you FEEL the need to overreact with things like "fat f*g".

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

17. Muzman12

punishment 12,your a f*g,keep on wacthing wayans brothers sh*t,you unintelligent f*ck,kevin smith rules................................................................

4 years agoby @muzman12Flag

18. Yentz

Who cares about a name change if your film is sh*t to begin with?

4 years agoby @ayreationFlag

19. ed_wood

I hate the title but Smith is awesome so I'll give it a shot. I'm not really sure what to think since he didn't write this one.

4 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

20. Punishment 2012

i hate kevin smith. he is a fat f*g.. f*ck him.

4 years agoby @dizoyleFlag

21. Rudy

i'm going to feel like such a f*cking cop out.

4 years agoby @rudyFlag

22. PUNISHER

Glad to hear its gonna be R rated. A pg13 would just blow.

4 years agoby @cerealkillerFlag

23. -comrade-

"What, you mean actually interact with my children as though they were human beings? You're crazy."

4 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

24. -comrade-

Maybe talk to your kids about what's appropriate once in a while, f*ckers.

4 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag