Karen Gillan Is the Lead Female Villain in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

James Gunn is directing this Marvel Phase Two ensemble starring Chris Pratt as Peter Quill, Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer, and Zoe Saldana as Gamora.
Karen Gillan joins the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy
Karen Gillan joins the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy
Former Doctor Who star Karen Gillan has joined the growing cast of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. The actress is playing the Phase Two ensemble's lead female villain, although her exact identity was not revealed.

Chris Pratt stars as the Guardians' leader Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star-Lord, with Dave Bautista playing Drax the Destroyer, Zoe Saldana portraying Gamora, and Michael Rooker depicts Yondu. Lee Pace is playing the primary villain, who also has not been officially identified, but whom many believe is Taneleer Tivan, a.k.a. The Collector. We reported in April that Ophelia Lovibond is playing one of The Collector's henchmen, one day before Lee Pace signed on as the "unidentified" villain.

James Gunn is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with Chris McCoy and Nicole Perlman. Production is scheduled to begin next month in the U.K.

Karen Gillan played Doctor Who's companion Amy Pond from Season 5 through Season 7

Guardians of the Galaxy was released August 1st, 2014 and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan. The film is directed by James Gunn.

1. JMP

@thomasclarke yea they say Thanos has a small part in the movie but will see.

1 year agoby @jmpFlag

2. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

@jmp Sweet, so is Thanos the antagonist in this also? Sorry I am not a major comic book fan - I like them but dont read them or follow them fully.

1 year agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

3. JMP

@thomasclarke she is Drax The Destroyer's daughter who was taken by Thanos and train to be a killer servant.

1 year agoby @jmpFlag

4. undeadslayer4

@vincente-avengers-alonso its photoshop not everything gonna be what u expect it to be

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

5. undeadslayer4

@skywise ok but ur gonna explain that to @vincente-avengers-alonso

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

6. undeadslayer4

@skywise ya i reconsider my comment

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

@undeadslayer4 The elevator doesn't always reach the top floor for you, does it?

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

8. Vincente 'Avengers' Alonso

@undeadslayer4 No, no she really didn't. she was whiny, annoying, unoriginal, her character did not evolve at all, the only good thing she brought to the table was Rory having a reason to DO things. The companions should be important, not be famous for WAITING. Rose became Bad Wolf, Martha went against the Master on her own, Donna stopped Davros. Don't even MAKE me get into Sarah Jane or Ace or...everyone that isn't Amy Pond. Bitch is also too pale. Like neon white.

1 year agoby @vincente-avengers-alonsoFlag

Also, @undeadslayer4 I agree with both @ejk1 and @john-m on their assessments of how she will handle the role.

"the style and grace that means nothing to me" - that seems like a fairly odd thing to say.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

Yes @undeadslayer4 he beat me to it but @john-m nailed it. Matt Smith says that its a good time to get out. I could go for another season or two personally and their have been Doctor for substantially longer. Tom Baker played the cahracter for seven season and is regarded by many as the best Doctor of all time. I disagree though, Matt Smith has been my favorite.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

11. undeadslayer4

@john-m well they better hurry up and do that i cant wait to see the next doctor and i wonder if Gillian gonna be a whiny villian just like in doctor who

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

12. John M

@undeadslayer4: Matt has already decided he is going to leave. His later appearance as this version of the Doctor will be in the Christmas Special. Matt has decided to move on just as Tennant and Eccleston have before him, and in fact I think the average run for an actor playing the Doctor is about 3 seasons. The BBC is not going to try and keep him, because they have dealt with this many times before with Doctor Who. The actors are interchangeable. What matters is finding an actor who can fit the character, which I hope they do.

I also agree with @ejk1 Gillan is a beautiful woman with good acting ability who I would love to see play a villain, and who like ejk said can pull of her role with style and grace.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

13. undeadslayer4

@ejk1 the style and grace that means nothing to me

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

@undeadslayer4 You asked how she will pull this off, I said with style and grace. What are you unclear about?

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

15. undeadslayer4

@skywise i have to agree she did great in doctor who but thing im concerned if their gonna keep Matt Smith for few more seasons

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

16. undeadslayer4

@vincente-avengers-alonso face it she did great in doctor who

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

17. undeadslayer4

@writer220 well she is gonna be a terrible villain
    @ejk1 ur not making a point

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

18. Vincente 'Avengers' Alonso

God dammit, this bitch needs to stop acting. She already ruined Doctor Who, don't touch the MCU.

1 year agoby @vincente-avengers-alonsoFlag

19. Brizzy

Now im seeing this. Wasn't before, but now I probably will.

1 year agoby @BrizzyFlag

shes really not Sexy at all. She IS pretty though. In fact she so damn awkward...thats what I love about her.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

21. Writer220

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson she's got the whinny voice in real life as well. she's got the talent and looks but the voice that's what puts me off her. I tried watching one of her other projects and I had to switch it off.

1 year agoby @writer220Flag

@writer220 I agree that Jenna Louise Coleman is the better companion. She certainly is prettier. I only hope that since the huge mystery surrounding her character has been solved they will give her character some depth and development.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

Awesome. She was bad ass in The Girl Who Waited and The Wedding of River Song. I am very interested to see her as a true villain.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

24. Zak Lee Ferguson

@writer220 grow up dude, she has more depth to her than that, and it was what her character represent. Lord, this is a great choice, great to see working class Television actors breaking it big

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

25. Writer220

Dear lord - now my hopes for this to be good has diminished, she's whinny and annoying. I guess I was the only one that hated Amy Pond. The new companion is far better than her.
    Now I will not be seeing this film.

1 year agoby @writer220Flag

26. The King of Thorns

I'm a fan of Gillan, but this cast is feeling pretty bloated, B and C-listers or not.

1 year agoby @rexspinasFlag

Also, her sexy face is weird

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag