'Jurassic Park IV' Story Ready, 'Indiana Jones 5' Awaits MacGuffin from George Lucas

Steven Spielberg gives updates on his most popular franchises, offering his opinion on the harsh criticism of 'Indiana Jones 4'.
Jurassic Park IV story ready to go
Jurassic Park IV story ready to go
Director Steven Spielberg is in full promotional mode this week, as The Adventures of Tintin opens across Europe today. He recently spoke with Empire Magazine about two of his most popular franchises as they continue on into the future: Jurassic Park IV and Indiana Jones 5.

If the reviews are to be believed about The Adventures of Tintin, it offers everything we wanted, but didn't get, in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. So Indiana Jones 5, which is working with a sixty-nine year old human instead of a timeless construct of limitless pixels, might prove to be a letdown more than anything. And it seems that Steven Spielberg may be taking on the project just to appease his longtime friend, George Lucas.

Here is what Steven Spielberg had to say about the current progress on Indiana Jones 5.

"You have to ask George Lucas. George is in charge of breaking the stories. He's done it on all four movies. Whether I like the stories or not, George has broken all the stories. He is working on Indiana Jones 5. We haven't gone to screenplay yet, but he's working on the story. I'll leave it to George to come up with a good story.

The legendary director then addressed some of the criticisms aimed at the last installment, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

"I'm very happy with the movie. I always have been... I sympathize with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it. I'll add my own touches, I'll bring my own cast in, I'll shoot the way I want to shoot it, but I will always defer to George as the storyteller of the Indy series. I will never fight him on that...The gopher was good. I have the stand-in one at home. What people really jumped at was Indy climbing into a refrigerator and getting blown into the sky by an atom-bomb blast. Blame me. Don't blame George. That was my silly idea. People stopped saying "jump the shark". They now say, "nuked the fridge". I'm proud of that. I'm glad I was able to bring that into popular culture."

Steven Spielberg then went onto address the progress of Jurassic Park IV, which he claims is ready to go story wise.

"The screenplay is being written right now by Mark Protosevich. I'm hoping that will come out in the next couple of years. We have a good story. We have a better story for four than we had for three..."

US audiences will have to wait until Christmas for the director's next two films, The Adventures of Tintin and War Horse.

Jurassic World comes to theaters June 12th, 2015 and stars Ty Simpkins, Bryce Dallas Howard, Nick Robinson, Chris Pratt, Vincent D'Onofrio, Irrfan Khan, B.D. Wong, Omar Sy. The film is directed by Colin Trevorrow.

Indiana Jones 5 is in development .

Sources: Empire

1. Sean

@Dim-Dimes
    What @titanictom said. Plus, I wasn't correcting someone on their comment here. I was correcting @brian on what he typed in the title of the article above. Re-read that comment again if you have to. Moron.

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Dim Dimes

@sean

and you spelled "now" wrong... don't try to correct theirs if you can't fix your own... idiot.

3 years agoby @Dim-DimesFlag

3. Titanictom

Typing ERRORS happen people.....WHAT A BUNCH OF DUMB F*CKS!!!

3 years agoby @titanictomFlag

4. McClane93

keep up the good work ;)

3 years agoby @McClane93Flag

5. The Boondock Saint

@k-man lol I don't think he was lying. Just because you hate lucas, doesn't mean he does everything horrible in the universe. There are plenty of other things to blame him for, as you said in your comment. And if spielberg said that the aliens were all lucas' fault (which was no surprise.) then why wouldn't he have admitted the nuke was lucas' too? I understand your anger, I really do, but to blame the fridge on lucas is unfair.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

6. Salem6777

right on

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

7. angelheart1016

Jurassic Park IV + 3D would be a very very good idea !

3 years agoby @angelheart1016Flag

8. K-Man

I wouldn't mind seeing another Jurassic Park, mainly because I've been hearing the script is so much better than the 3rd one for the past 5 or 6 years......so at this point I just want to see what they are talking about!!! I'd be down as long as a decent director got behind it (and as long as Joe Johnston was nowhere to be found).

Indiana Jones is a tough one......I want to see another because I want to get that garbage that was the 4th one out of my head and pretend it never existed. At the same time, I'm not sure I want to see another one because I think, at this point, it's going to be very hard to make a goof film out of it..... especially one as good as the first three (more so the first and third) and I dont want to see this series get run any further into the ground.
    With Lucas on the story, we can most likely expect terrible things.

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

Would love it if it were scored by Williams

10. Sean

@ghostman
    No, know that you've mentioned it, i've noticed that as well.

@brian@movieweb
    there is an error in the name Indiana Jones 5, in the title of the article above. It says Indian Jones 5, instead of Indiana Jones 5.

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. Ghostman

Am I the only one who noticed that they put "Indian Jones" instead of "Indiana Jones"? lmao!

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

12. ROFLitschristian

Well it's about darn time. I've never craved a sequel this much since Cloverfield... I think monster films are my fetish.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

13. K-Man

There is absolutely NO f*cking way that stupid "nuking of the fridge" idea was Spielbergs. He's simply trying to be a good friend and take some of the heat off Lucas's lame ass.
    Think about it, you are telling me that he simply added that on the day......sort of a "on the moment" idea???? Yeah right......then what was written in the script? How did Indy get out of that town alive without being blow to hell??? Something that incredibly stupid reeks of Lucas.....just like Jar Jar Binks, just like the flying R2-D2 and the moment he shoots oil out and makes the droids slip and slide around like clowns, just like the lame ass comedy act of C3-PO getting his head put on a droids body and sent to war, just like Anakin "surfing" the alien animal in the prairie fields, just like Jar Jar getting on the tanks and "spilling" the energy bubble things into the tanks only to run away while screaming, just like all the garbage scenes added to the original Star Wars trilogy AND just like EVERY SINGLE other dumb ass, incredibly lame idea that Lucas has come up with in the past 20 years.

That's a nice thing to do Spielberg.......but dont take credit for a friends sh*tty ideas.

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

14. Titanictom

FOR INDY 5....Bring back SALAH and MARION....LOSE SHIA LABORING!!!!!!

3 years agoby @titanictomFlag

15. Josh

I still don't get why people had such a hard time buying aliens as a plot device in Indy 4. All of the movies have had a historical fantasy element to them, and I don't think Crystal Skull was any less plausible than the others. I think Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom, and I'm quite down for another one.

I wonder where they'll go in JP4, and whether they'll get any of the previous cast back for it.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

16. Junior Roberts

YES.... We need a new Jurassic Park. At least I do so I can force the memory of a speaking raptor from JP3 out of my memory.

3 years agoby @junior-robertsFlag

17. moviegeek

JURASSIC PARK !! :D

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

18. Gandoff

Great story. SS admitting it was his idea on the fridge in the A-bomb sequence was kool to know. Plus his dissagreement about the "aliens"/"inter-dimensional" beings. Shows how much he trusts GL, yet still would say how he thinks to him to. No ego's, but pure friendship with talented directors.

3 years agoby @gandoffFlag

Would be funny if Spielberg told Lucas " Direct it yourself"

Jurassic Park 4 I could get behind. Another Indy? Please no.....

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

21. Sean

Cool. I can't wait for both of those movies.

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

Excited for JP 4.

And Lol on S.S. And his comments towards Geroge.