Joss Whedon's 'Much Ado About Nothing' Gets a June 2013 Release Date

Roadside Attractions and Lionsgate are jointly releasing this black and white update of the William Shakespeare play.
Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing set for June 7th, 2013 release date
Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing set for June 7th, 2013 release date
Much Ado About Nothing might very well hold true to its title. It's a small black and white updated adaptation of William Shakespeare's ageless play, shot on the cheap over the course of a few days. It probably wouldn't be getting much attention at all if it's director, Joss Whedon, hadn't pulled off the mean feat of Marvel's The Avengers, making it the highest grossing movie of the year.

Roadside Attractions and Lionsgate are jointly releasing the drama on June 7th, 2013, a summer weekend usually reserved for big budget blockbusters. This just goes to prove the weight Joss Whedon's name carries at this moment in time.

The film is opening in five theaters on June 7th, where it will have to contend with Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith in M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth. It will then expand throughout the country on June 21st, opening opposite World War Z and Monsters University.

Much Ado About Nothing was released June 7th, 2013 and stars Amy Acker, Emma Bates, Sara Blindauer, Brett Ryan Bonowicz, Spencer Treat Clark, Alexis Denisof, Reed Diamond, Nathan Fillion. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

1. gumperman

@thedude-abides Oh, okay. :)

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

2. thedude-abides

@gumperman I should rephrase that. I don't watch television series period, lol. Thanks for the info, though. Perhaps one day I'll give them a shot :)

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

3. LuxoIII

Not too big on Shakespeare, but I'll check it out if there's nothing else showing that weekend.

1 year agoby @brady1138Flag

4. gumperman

@thedude-abides Oh It's not on tv anymore, it aired back in the 2002-2003 season, but was canceled by FOX. It has since gathered a huge fan base. It is available for rent probably or I would just buy it if you find a copy somewhere, it's well worth it to own I think.

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

5. thedude-abides

@gumperman I thought that perhaps that was the case. In any event, I don't watch t.v., so I probably won't be seeing either show :(

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

6. Josh

I'm so excited for this. I'm pretty much game for any new Shakespeare adaptation, but especially excited to see Whedon's take on it.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

7. gumperman

@thedude-abides Wait, you haven't seen Firefly or Serenity? Do yourself a favor and watch those as soon as you can! In that order, since Serenity is the movie that follows Firefly.

Also, Whedon was already done with this film before The Avengers hit theaters. In fact, he filmed them at the same time and this film was shot in 12 days . So it wasn't like after The Avengers, he said to himself, "What do I follow up The Avengers with? A Shakespeare adaptation!"

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

@thedude-abides You're not fooling anyone, mister.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

9. thedude-abides

@bawnian-dexeus Lol. Hey, I still think it'll disappoint, but I'm willing to at least give it a chance.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

10. thedude-abides

@dan1 Damn. Well, if nothing else, it'll be cool to see them all together on the same project.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides Yes sir. And wrote Cabin in the Woods (Acker), and did Serenity (Fillion).

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

12. thedude-abides

@dan1 I'm guessing Whedon did both of those shows?

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Acker and Denisof are from Angel. Fillion is from Firefly.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

14. thedude-abides

@dan1 Eh, good point. What have they worked on together before?

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides What's wrong with a little indie project before Avengers 2? He's also supervising other Marvel projects at the moment.

I personally can't wait to see this. It's a who's who of Whedon alumni.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

16. thedude-abides

THIS is how he follows up the Avengers?

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag