Joss Whedon's 'Firefly' Not Likely to Get Kickstarter Fund

The director was recently interviewed and spoke about his sci-fi adventure series' possible rebirth.
Joss Whedon's Firefly not likely to have kickstarter
Joss Whedon's Firefly not likely to have kickstarter
With the success of yesterday's Veronica Mars kickstarter, fans of Joss Whedon's short lived sci-fi series Firefly are wondering if they will see the rebirth of the franchise. The Marvel's The Avengers director was recently interviewed and spoke out about a possible kickstarter for his beloved series.

Here is what he said about the future of the franchise.

"That's what everybody wants to know about. Uh, yeah. My fourth feeling when I read about [the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign] was a kind of dread. Because I realized the only thing that would be on everybody's mind right now. I've said repeatedly that I would love to make another movie with these guys, and that remains the case. It also remains the case that I'm booked up by Marvel for the next three years, and that I haven't even been able to get Dr. Horrible 2 off the ground because of that. So I don't even entertain the notion of entertaining the notion of doing this, and won't. Couple years from now, when Nathan Fillion's no longer on Castle and I'm no longer the Tom Hagen of the Marvel Universe and making a giant movie, we might look and see where the market is then. But right now, it's a complete non-Kickstarter for me."

He goes on to talk about the budget it would take to make the film and how he thinks fans would react.

"I think anything we could get off the ground would be appreciated by the fans. But what form it would take is I think under some debate. For me, [Kickstarter] doesn't just open the floodgates. God knows, things are cheaper now than when we made even Serenity. Good effects can be done in a different manner. Nor is that universe all about spectacle either. But it is a tad more expensive - and a little all-consuming! And of course, there's the other fear: What if it's not that good? I can do something that's not that good - that's fine. But if I do that and it's not that good, I'm going to feel really stupid."

Firefly was set five hundred years in the future and followed a renegade space crew that tried to survive their travels through the galaxy and spawned one movie titled Serenity.

Sources: BuzzFeed

1. Martin Clarke

How about an animated series like the star trek one & the clone wars. A low budget & possible less time consuming project that my keep us fans happy till a serenity sequel can be made !

12 months agoby @Martin-ClarkeFlag

@bawnian-dexeus Google and Wikipedia, my friend.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1@ejk1 Well, guess that answers my mystery

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@bawnian-dexeus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_(comics)

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@bawnian-dexeus There was a comic book, but I don't know if it's still in circulation.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@dan1@ejk1 Just curious, why hasn't Firefly gotten a comic book season deal like with Buffy and Smallville to continue the story?

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@ejk1 I'd like a million bucks to be deposited into my bank account, tax free, but the likelihood of that happening is about the same as another Serenity being made :P

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

8. Ghostman

Darn...that sucks. Firefly/Serenity were really great. I know Whedon is busy currently and other actors of the series have moved on, which means chances are we will never see any new episodes of Firefly or even a sequel to Serenity.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

@dan1 I disagree, my friend. While most have moved on, they have all moved on to television projects. They could easily get everyone together for a film. personally, I would like one film that ties up River Tam's story, and put Mal and Inara together.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

10. Michael Kolesik

HOLY SH*TSNACKS people are still going on about this?

How many "NO" answers do they need before they learn it's not going to happen?

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

11. Josh

Firefly doesn't need to come back. Isn't that the point of him doing Serenity?

Although, who am I kidding, I'd still love it if it did. I'd just rather see Whedon working on other projects.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

12. supermanvenom

@dan1 Oh i know they have. But i think all of them (i might be wrong) have said they would come back for this show. Hey i can dream right lol

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

@supermanvenom Most of the cast has gone on to other projects, and Whedon is up to his neck in supervising Marvel. It won't happen.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

14. Corey W.

Well, Veronica Mars actually needed the money to be green-lit. If Wheadon and the cast had the time they could make this movie no problem.

I'm glad he's booked with Marvel. It's the only place I really enjoy his company. I really hope his Dr. Horrible 2 line was a joke! If that happens I'll have to cut my eyeballs out in horror.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

15. supermanvenom

This sucks, i love the show and it should come back. Who the hell would like this news lol. And to the people who say move on? really? its an amazing series.

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

16. thedude-abides

@dan1 Couldn't agree more.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Lets be honest with ourselves. There will never be more Firefly/Serenity. All of those actors and Whedon have moved on.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

18. BERSERKER

I think an animated show based on the comic book series would work. Set it between Firefly, and Serenity so we can finally see character arcs like The Shepherd's Tale.

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

19. ChiRep_1

Move on already, my goodness.

1 year agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

he's worried about making Serenity 2 beacuse "what if it's not that good?" REALLY?

Dude, the Marvel fans (particularly with Avengers 2) will be much less forgiving than your browncoats Mr. Whedon, if it's not that good.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

21. ridgl

good. its time to move on.

1 year agoby @ridglFlag

He won't need a Kickstarter when/if he decides to make a sequel.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

23. Xenon

I personally think that a new TV series could be made but further in the timeline. Say 50 to 100 years into the future with a new crew.
    Since Sy-Fy has cancelled ten great shows or it seems like it, firefly might do slightly better.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

24. Roberto Mata

I loved Serenity and will like to see a sequel or at least the continuation of the series.

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

25. thedude-abides

Looks like these lightening bug fans will have to settle, and I do mean settle, for Much Ado About Nothing.

Dude Smash!!