Jon Favreau Confirms He Won't Direct 'The Avengers'

The director also confirms Edward Norton won't appear in 'Iron Man 2' as 'The Incredible Hulk'
After the recent announcement of his new film, it is now confirmed that Jon Favreau won't be helming an upcoming superhero film. MTV Movies Blog caught up with Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau who confirmed what many suspected: that he won't be directing The Avengers. Here's an excerpt from the article.

"They'll have to [find a different director], because I'm not going to be available," he explained. "It's something I'm being the executive producer on, so I'll definitely have input and a say."

"It's going to be hard, because I was so involved in creating the world of Iron Man and Iron Man is very much a tech-based hero, and then with The Avengers you're going to be introducing some supernatural aspects because of Thor," he continued. "How you mix the two of those works very well in the comic books, but it's going to take a lot of thoughtfulness to make that all work and not blow the reality that we've created."

The director also talked about the tie-in for Iron Man 2 and how it might lead into The Avengers.

Along with confirming that The Incredible Hulk star Edward Norton won't be appearing in Iron Man 2 and that Favreau won't be directing The Avengers the filmmaker shared some thoughts on his approach to making the Marvel movies all tie together.

"We want to reinforce a lot of the stuff we started to tip off," Favreau told MTV News. "The Avengers is a much larger concern for Marvel and Kevin Feige, who runs Marvel. They're going to be doing Thor and Captain America and the way we might start to tease those things in this movie, some of it is stuff that we've discussed [and] some of the stuff you do last-minute as you figure out how that stuff is coming together."

"It's an evolving, amorphous thing," he explained. "If we decide and commit too early, the secret always gets out."

Click Here! to read the rest of the site's article.

Iron Man 2 was released May 7th, 2010 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke, Samuel L. Jackson, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Jon Favreau, Kenneth Branagh.

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

Sources: MTV Movies Blog

1. CBF

Yeah, I can see if someone was doing it like that, picking up Blu-rays that would look incredible on BR, but not going out and buying every movie they want on that format. Like the new Star Trek film would look amazing or 2012 when it comes to Blu-ray will probably blow away DVD versions on BR. I just can't see dropping one's DVD collection to go out and buy every movie on Blu-ray. I just can't see that. Waste of money in this dying economy.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

2. Vanboy

I hear ya CBF. I guess once you see the difference, it's like watching VHS again once you've seen DVD. There are certain movies, I don't mind having on DVD, because it actually adds to the charm of it, like the original Dawn of the Dead, which I just picked up today and watched. I don't have to have that on Bluray, and I only spent five bucks on it. But there are ones that I like to see clear, like my Star Trek original cast movies. They look beautiful.

5 years agoby @vanboyFlag

3. Chad Vital

marcusx, where the hell did that come from lol? I'm sure they thought about it (at least the few putting together Avengers etc). I was just pointing things out that no one else seems to talk about, how Thor would work in a realistic world with "their" Iron Man and what not. That's all. Everyone ignores it, but it's definitely something that will be broughten up sooner or later. You will see people bringing it up right before the movie release and what not, even though we talked about it on here years beforehand lol. It's just the way it is. No need to lecture anyone when it's not needed, at least on this topic.

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

4. CBF

Yeah thanks V,

but don't you mean Blu-ray is really expensive? And as far as the clarity, I'm good without seeing people's heads in the background. I don't look for that type of clarity anyways, I just look for the foreground people in the movie that the film revolves around. And I just picked up a DVD Player for $60.00 my friend, new. Plus at $10 extra a Blu-ray Disc, how much are people actually wasting on this expensive format? Every 10 movies, you just spent an extra $100. Sh*t, with that I could buy your 10 movies PLUS AN EXTRA 12.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

5. Vanboy

Sounds good! But Bluray is really awesome. The clarity is ten times better than DVD. And Bluray players are cheap now. Sony sells one for 200 bucks.

Take it easy.

5 years agoby @vanboyFlag

6. CBF

Thanks Vanboy.

Although I will never own Blu-ray (player OR discs), I plan on getting around that sh*tty Digital Copy 3-disc (in which the 3rd disc is ONLY the Digital Copy, and chances are I'll be paying $20 - $25.00 for) Region 1 version, by ordering my copy from Amazon.co.uk . It will be a Region 2 of course, but it's just the 2-disc (movie + special features, no sh*tty Digital Copy) and I'll only be paying $12 bucks. I've already got my Region Free player which I ordered off Amazon last year, so ordering Region 2 sets are going to be a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus, the UK gets editions that we don't get over here in the USA (example: Two-Disc version of "X-Men: The Last Stand".)

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

7. Vanboy

Yes, They are in the three disc. And there's a s**tload of scenes. I really wished they'd kept them in there, because the scenes are pulled off perfectly and so convincingly by Norton. They really added a believable human element to Banner, instead of just showing him getting "almost" pissed off and ripped all the time.

You can go pick up the three disc, but I highly recommend you getting the Bluray. because it has to be a hundred times better thatn the three disc DVD edition that I have.

5 years agoby @vanboyFlag

8. CBF

Thank you for that little tidbit, Vanboy, I did not know that. BTW what scenes were cut out of "The Incredible Hulk" that Norton liked so much? Are they on the 2-disc (3-disc in Region 1 w/ digital copy) under Deleted Scenes?

And yes, The Fallen, Banner is hiding in BC but remember, he's gaining control over The Hulk and his transformations now, so likely he won't stay hidden as long if he can control where and when he transforms. Which may work out as an ally to The Avengers. OMG I think I just figured out where they were going with that ending LOL.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

9. Marcusx

One step at a time here. They probably realized this issue with Thor a lot earlier than you and the fellow simpletons below did. Thor will have powers I am sure, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have him be some hammer wielding invincible god flying around wacking away at baddies. There will probably be some issue with Thors powers at some point and he won't be able to tap into all of them right away. Then at the end he will get them back or whatever.

For being movie fans it sounds like most of you complain a sh*t load more on issues that are of obviously no concern. This is a MASSIVE project. Do you really honestly think that of all the issues you are speaking that they haven't thought about it yet? And then with the subject of the thread here about Favreau, with all his Iron Man success, he will have a big helping hand in making sure things are put together correctly. And when you add in all the other consultants and comic gurus who have creative input, they will undoubtedly sort through it all and make something that every fan can enjoy

Now I too have my doubts about the film since nothing like this has been done before. But let us not forget who is sculpting this cinematic art here. Wait until a little more is done about it before you start Boycotting the f*cking movie all together.

5 years agoby @marcusxFlag

10. Chad Vital

Ooo and maybe after Avengers, they can do a Civil War movie. That would be sweet and could even be award winning actually.

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

11. Chad Vital

But there are some cool things if they do make him more modern and less "supernatural" as they call it, having Downey in Thor as a cameo, making Thor's hammer. I think that would be sweet. But if they go the "supernatural" route, his hammer will be magical, hence not made by Stark lol.

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

12. Chad Vital

At least Jon and I agree on the whole Thor thing, I stated a while ago how the hell would that work in the new "realistic" modern world they are doing. You can tie in The Hulk (he's a big ass weapon), and you can easily tie in Captain America (just like Iron Man but less metal haha). Captain America and Iron Man in one movie is gonna be sweet. I don't even need Thor honestly. He's kinda cool in his own way, but he is so well "out there" story wise lol. It's like okay, how the f*ck can we make him realistic. If he has super powers and sh*t, it's not gonna work. If they make Thor modern, and very real, with just a hammer and no powers, it'd work. But then Thor might be boring or too much like Captain America in that sense, being a strong ass guy kicking ass with a cool weapon (hammer). It could work though. I think he'd be liked more though if he was what's the word, "normal" like Iron Man etc.

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

13. Marcusx

You're right in some aspects. It makes sense when you say a lot of people will be disappointed with the lack of screen time for a fanboys favorite character. But you're forgetting one extremely important detail

EVERY ONE OF THEM IS GETTING THEIR OWN SELF TITLED DEBUT FILM CENTERING ON THEMSELVES

Not to mention any fans of Iron Man shouldn't be disappointed seeing as he will have 2 films under his belt by then.
    It can work, and it will make an overwhelmingly unbelievable amount of money which will flow from the registers out to the street in every theater. And Favreau said he will be on doing his job with input. He doesn't have to be directing for this film to succeed financially and in the aspect of entertainment.

'Nuff Said

5 years agoby @marcusxFlag

14. Yahzee

Avengers can't work as a film. That's it. Jon Favreau himself said "It's going to be hard, because I was so involved in creating the world of Iron Man and Iron Man is very much a tech-based hero, and then with The Avengers you're going to be introducing some supernatural aspects because of Thor"

The idea might look cool for comic geeks, or any fanboy, but once on screen the result will be: a predictable storyline, underdeveloped characters, fans unhappy because their favorite hero doesn't get the screen time they should, etc.

It's a good thing that DC isn't doing this kind of thing, because for instance, it could destroy the realistic gritty world that Christopher Nolan created for Batman with interdimentional plotlines, alien superheros and invisible ships.

The best an Avengers movie can hope for is to be a brainless fun pop corn movie, well below the quality of the first Iron Man film, which not only was that, but a great character movie with it's own realistic world.

5 years agoby @yahzeeFlag

15. Vanboy

Actually CBF, there was actually an interview with Norton, in which he was speaking quite positively about the prospect of coming back to the role, to which I responded that I was shocked, after all of those extra scenes got cut out of The Incredible Hulk, that Norton loved so much. Norton better be the Hulk again, or I will be totally freakin' pissed off, beyond Human belief!

So like marcusx says, it might just mean that the HULK or Bruce Banner won't be in Iron Man 2, but might be in The Avengers.

5 years agoby @vanboyFlag

16. iatehisliver

no no i really dnt like john favreau thats why when i watch ironman i like to think someone else directed it

5 years agoby @iatehisliverFlag

17. Chad Vital

easy there liver, we don't care if you hate him, considering that most of us either like him or just don't really care lol. I always wondered why people say sh*t like that on a topic? Do you just feel like being honest or are you just trying to stir up some sh*t with the users?

5 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

18. iatehisliver

just like how megatron wasnt going to be in Transformers 2, and im glad that he isnt directing i hate him

5 years agoby @iatehisliverFlag

19. ALor2

he's saying this to throw everyone off. I bet he ends up directing the avengers and edward norton makes a cameo in iron man 2.

5 years agoby @champ2Flag

I see this as good news. They might have some news footage of the Hulk in it, but I never expected the Bruce Banner to appear in this, seeing as how he is in hiding. So no huge surprise.

Favreau not directing. Like marcusx said, not all is lost. I just hope whoever does direct it has the chops which I am sure will due to the passion from the studios/film crews/creators etc.

I just can't wait for Captain America! And please have a cameo of Antman somewhere. It wouldn't be avengers without him and the Wasp.

5 years agoby @narratorFlag

21. Xenon

I grew up on the Hulk and have liked it more than anything until I read an issue of Spiderman. I may not be a nerd, but I do like superheroes and their villains.
    When the first Hulk came out, I loved the film from beginning to end. Then when the reboot came out I did enjoy it but I found it still had the same sort of feeling, with a bit more on action.
    I enjoyed the first film more since I like the director and his style, it may not have a big effect on certain people but I stand by what I like most.

5 years agoby @xenon56Flag

22. Portfan

The Incredible Hulk was a good movie, and I can't say Edward Norton is anything below one of the top ten actors of his generation, but I fully support not having Banner/ The Hulk in any non-Hulk or Avenger movie from now until The Avengers is made. My reasoning being that with the Thor and Cap movies you really need to focus all of the story on these two characters, and not a throw in Marvel allie/enemy.

5 years agoby @portfanFlag

23. Marcusx

I see where you are coming from and it is actually a known fact that The Incredible Hulk will not consider a sequel until after the Avengers film comes out. The studios were worried Hulk wasn't a popular enough character to get a decent sequel and of course the events of the Avengers will definitely put into fruition the future of Bruce and his green steroid pumped behemoth counterpart. I'm not a Hulk fan per say but I am a Norton fan, so if he comes back I am all for it. I can see from Norton's point of view where this is s a franchise worth sitting on and waiting to see what happens. And I say that about Hulk, not the Avengers. Avengers is going to be a massive achievement and a cash cow obviously.

5 years agoby @marcusxFlag

24. CBF

LOL sorry marcusx. Not trying to step on any fans' toes here, I just felt that since there have been two blockbuster films, and the Hulk (3? or 2? ugh I'm confused here) sequel was not greenlit, it just seems maybe Norton didn't want to come back, and I'm not basing that strictly off the film not being greenlit, I know that is a studio decision. But personally, I just don't see him returning to the role. Although it would be great if he did, and maybe drag Liv Tyler with him as Betty, that would be so ideal!

Of course, I'm just thinking out loud, I mean none of this was confirmed or anything.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

25. Newkill3000

This movie isn't going to happen anytime soon. 2025 seems a reasonable year.

5 years agoby @newkill200Flag

26. Marcusx

Think again CBF, Ang Lees Hulk was a catastrophe to say the least. To redo the film they required a strong on screen actor to do well. And while Bana is a good actor, he didn't fit the part. This isn't going to be like Mr. Who where they change actors portraying all the time. I cant believe you said that...jeezus

5 years agoby @marcusxFlag

27. CBF

Well he is staying on as Executive Producer, the right hand man to the Director, so that's good news. He's the Iron Man dude now, so that's good that he can give direction and I think Iron Man will be a huge part to The Avengers. I don't think Norton wants to portray The Hulk ever again, that's just my speculation. Hulk has had 2 actors portray him now. It might be one of those things where they constantly change the actor in every film.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

28. Marcusx

Cant say that I have

5 years agoby @marcusxFlag

29. -comrade-

Nothing too disturbing here. I think we can start making better speculation when Thor comes out. Anybody see Hemsworth's beard?

5 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

30. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

Bad news..... oh well hopefully this doesent confirm thar Norton wont ever play the Hulk ever again.
    Makes you wonder who IS gonna take the riens on the Avengers.

5 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag