John Williams Wants to Make Music for 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

The legendary composer revealed he is willing to come on board to work on the score for director J.J. Abrams' new sequel.
John Williams wants to compose the score for Star Wars: Episode VII
John Williams wants to compose the score for Star Wars: Episode VII
One of the many questions still yet to be answered in regards to Star Wars: Episode VII is who will compose the score. While nothing is set in stone yet, John Williams, who crafted the music for the six previous Star Wars movies, revealed at a recent concert that he wants to come back to work on the score for director J.J. Abrams' sci-fi sequel.

"We're about to play Star Wars [audience interrupts with cheers] and each time we play it, I'm reminded of the first time we played it decades ago. Neither I, nor George (Lucas), nor anyone else involved thought this would go far or in a few years there would be a sequel and I'd have to revisit the themes...and years later another trilogy. Now we're hearing of a new set of movies coming in 2015, 2016...so I need to make sure I'm still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George...[more cheers]."

Of course, George Lucas himself won't be too involved in Star Wars: Episode VII after selling Lucasfilm in October for north of $4 billion. Director J.J. Abrams has used composer Michael Giacchino for all of his feature directorial outings. We'll have to wait and see which composer is in fact chosen to work on the music for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

1. The Knight Has Risen

But since Episode VII won't come out until 2015 (or 16), there's a possible chance that (God forbid) John Williams might not be alive by then. But if this tragedy should happen, I think it would be the best option to hire Michael Giacchino to score the film. Anyone else agree (if the Williams' plan fails)?

1 year agoby @thehost91Flag

2. Alvaro Soliz Ríos

Star Wars is not Star Wars without John Williams. I even think that he gave much more to the saga than George did. He saved the prequels with his music. No more to say: he's to be back.

1 year agoby @Alvaro-Soliz-RosFlag

3. Zak Lee Ferguson

@thehost91 this news has me gearing....its just something nostalgic, no Williams no Star Wars, that's all i think lacks in the TV animated series, i think them using the already key themes and all and replicate and like do a bit of SKRILLEX to it it would work :P

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

4. The Knight Has Risen

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson Sorry and... your welcome.

1 year agoby @thehost91Flag

@aoshi Agreed on the Avengers score. The theme song was good, but nothing stellar. Though in the case of the prequels, Revenge of the Sith really showed William's maturity as a composer with the franchise. Each dramatic piece was emotional and powerful in my opinion. Duel of Fates in Phantom Menace was the only good moment, and The Clones Arrival in the arena.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

6. Zak Lee Ferguson

@thehost91 (swipes a bit of SPUNk from his cheek) THANKS

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

7. aoshi

@stiles His scores for the prequels were good, but they sound very weak next to the original trilogy's. It's like comparing a staging of Richard Wagner's operas at the Met versus an edited recording at a small studio for a $5 CD compilation. I guess the prequels just didn't inspire him the way the originals did.

1 year agoby @aoshiFlag

8. aoshi

@Roberto-Mata The Avengers score wasn't memorable at all, though. :/

1 year agoby @aoshiFlag

9. gumperman

This is news I've been waiting to hear. I love Giacchino and I'm sure if he does the score for the new Star Wars movie, it will be wonderful, but I am hoping that John Williams gets to continue what he started. Plus it will be interesting to hear a Williams score to a J.J. Abrams film.

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

10. CelluloidDreams

He should do it!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

11. Sean

@stiles Exactly.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. masterofthemoon

He will be back no bones about it!

1 year agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

13. Stiles

Even in the prequels, Williams scores were on point. He's never bad.

1 year agoby @stilesFlag

14. Roberto Mata

@aoshi The composer who really changed a little bit last year was Alan Silvestri with the score of The Avengers, it had this 80's epic vibe and that's was truly something else, nevertheless, Hans Zimmer still the best!. Williams should stay with the Star Wars franchise at least until he retires.

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

15. BERSERKER

Listen I love John Williams as a composer, but I was hoping JJ would get a new composer for the new trilogy as every Star Wars fan was complaining about how the prequels rehashed everything yet we have the same composer, and writers from the original trilogy working on the new one. Just saying if Disney is going to reboot it then truly start fresh.

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

16. The Knight Has Risen

*Ejaculates

1 year agoby @thehost91Flag

17. Writer220

What I get frustrated with is that people claim John Carter is a rip-off of Wars or anything else these days.

The books were written way before Star Wars or Trek came into being.so stop your whining.

1 year agoby @writer220Flag

18. Trent Parker

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 year agoby @Trent-ParkerFlag

19. Trent Parker

YES!!!!! YESS!!!!!!!! YEEESSSSS!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 year agoby @Trent-ParkerFlag

What @narrator said.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

21. Daniel Cantu

Lets hope this happens, Bring John Williams back to his throne again!

1 year agoby @Deadpoolx11Flag

While Giacchino is a formidable composer, and one of the top five in the business right now, this needs to be Williams. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure John needs to hook this franchise up for as long as he can. As @brady1138 mentioned, he's one of the few composers in the business who hasn't lost touch after years of absence from a franchise. Hell, he may have even improved because Duel of the Fates will be one of the best composed pieces ever. Point is, Williams stays. No exceptions.

Giacchino can take over the reigns one day, because Disney won't stop milking this franchise. Anyone who things otherwise is being naive. Until that day comes, however, the guy can focus on Star Trek.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

23. Replicant

Giacchino is amazing, I almost wouldn't mind if Williams didn't return. It just all depends on the tone JJ is setting.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

24. Playhouse

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson Sorry, I don't agree. I think his 'John Carter' score was one of last year's most underrated and ignored. And I'm interested to know what he supposedly ripped off for it. Unlike his terrific 'The Incredibles' score, which is very clearly modeled after John Barry's work.

1 year agoby @playhouseFlag

25. the MovieGhost

"Want" is one thing, actually being able to create the music is something else entirely. Not that I doubt Williams' ability and drive, but age catches up to us all in the end.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

26. ROFLitschristian

If we can't get the same poster guy, can we at least get John Williams?!

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

27. aoshi

@Roberto-Mata that's true of every composer, each has their signature "sound".

1 year agoby @aoshiFlag

28. Sean

@bawnian-dexeus I couldn't agree more!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

29. Roberto Mata

Giacchino is very good, but for a Star Wars film, Williams should definitely return, it wouldn't be Star Wars without the amazing score. Just imaging Giacchino composing the score, it would be Star Trek, I mean if you listen to the scores of M.I: 3, Star Trek and Super 8, you will find that they are all most identical.

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag