Jason Statham Eyed for Lead in 'Transformers 4'!

The franchise is expected to move into darker territory as Shia LeBoeuf and director Michael Bay part ways with this box office juggernaut.
Jason Statham Eyed for Transformers 4 lead
Jason Statham Eyed for Transformers 4 lead
Transformers: Dark of the Moon kicked off an early 4th of July weekend at the box office under a hail storm of bad reviews and shouts that it was making far less money than its predecessor Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. By the time the weekend was over, though, this news had been spun in a more positive direction with the Michael Bay directed sequel breaking various IMAX records. And quite a few red-blooded American audience members claiming an affinity for it despite what the hateful Bay-loathing critics had to say.

Its now considered a mammoth hit, and various Hollywood insiders guarantee a fourth film is in the pipeline. Leading man, Shia LaBeouf, is not coming back, though, with Sam Witwicky's storyline wrapped. And Michael Bay has also said that this is the final chapter in his personal Transformers trilogy. So where does that leave those robots-in-disguise?

Well, according to Tyrese Gibson, it's possible that executive producer Steven Spielberg will sign onto direct the next installment. And if we are to believe the rumblings this afternoon coming out of Hollywood, Jason Statham is being lined up as the franchise's next leading man.

Insiders claim that Jason Statham will be able to take this saga into darker territory, and the fact that he is engaged to franchise newcomer Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is a plus.

"It's clear the franchise still has huge potential but with a new leading man capable of taking Transfomers 4 in a new, darker direction. Jason Statham could be just the man to do that and his relationship with Rosie would be an added bonus in marketing the movie."

Is Jason Statham the right man for the job? Transfomers is first and foremost a kids' movie. How dark does it need to be, and do nine-year-olds really care about the off-screen relationship between Jason Statham and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley? The ones who read People Magazine on the toilet probably do.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon was released June 29th, 2011 and stars Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Julie White, Kevin Dunn, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Alan Tudyk, John Malkovich. The film is directed by Michael Bay.

1. Sebastian Rivera

mejor ke agan la 4 con alfa prime ultra magnus lockdown... hay muchos personajes ke faltan eso me deprime ke los pongan a todos en la 4 y asi estara mejor XDXD

3 years agoby @Sebastian-RiveraFlag

2. Ben Greene

We need angry Autobot vs Decepticon sex...lol

3 years agoby @ben-greeneFlag

3. Nery Hernandez

OH, NOESSS! If they have a sex scene and pay attention more to the humans then I'm gonna be pissed off. And isn't he to old because last time i remember the humans who were with auto bots were kids or teenagers. don't exactly remember. They need to focus more on the Transformers. "ROBOTS". Not the humans. Yea its cool they had humans but the movies isnt about humans or a love story or whatever.

3 years agoby @Nery-HernandezFlag

4. Stephanie Gail Adkins

I don't care who they have as lead. As long as there is more autobots than humans, who cares. I hate the human only parts of the movies. Just keep the original voices for robots and same robots in it.:)

3 years agoby @Stephanie-Gail-AdkinsFlag

5. Sean

@andrew-thompson
    Where did you find that information from ? Or are you just mentioning that as a possibility ?

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. Andrew Thompson

they'll have him as Josh Duhamel's father....in the next one..

3 years agoby @andrew-thompsonFlag

7. Xgrl1979

I like Jason Statham but I just don't see the point in introducing a new character. They should get rid of the girl and utilize the army characters more.

3 years agoby @xgrl1979Flag

8. Cody Ellsmore

he could do it!!!!

3 years agoby @cody-ellsmoreFlag

9. BERSERKER

@johnnyblazetb82 - HAHAHA The Sock Foley, you bringing it back. I always liked his other personality Dudelove lol.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

10. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

@Number1Wolverine hahahah yeah never liked him in WWF either always' preffered the sock over the Rock (Foley) hahahahahaha

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

11. Monkeyiron 2.0

He's too serious and he's an adult...I mean all in the transformers franchise there's always an lead character whos a teenager not an adult

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

12. Sean

@caifa
    I don't think he would be a good choice to play as new lead actor in Transformers 4.

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

13. caifa

Please leave jason out of this...he's just not a transformers actor

3 years agoby @caifaFlag

14. BERSERKER

@johnnyblazetb82 - I can't believe you do not smell what the rock is cooking lol, naw i can dig that you don't like the dude. I grew up watching him on WWF, not WWE (face palm) so I just kick it with dudes when it comes to his movies.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

15. RojoDiablo

I'm fine with Jason taking over, Shia's character was getting old by the third film for me.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

16. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

@Number1Wolverine I guess in a way its typecasting. big brawney guys WILL star in action movies. But Arnie has shown range as starring in other genres. As has Statham. I agree in all but one, That egomaniac Johnson, that assshead couldent act his way out of a paperbag. hahahahaha jk

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

17. FrankenFate

For the record, everyone STOP comparing Batman to Transformers when they're both completely 2 different films. Batman is a superhero film and Transformers is a action film.

3 years agoby @frankenfateFlag

18. Messenger

@narrator

I agree with but I'm wondering if they are talking about making dark as in taking out a lot of the comedy. That alone could shift the tone into another level.

3 years agoby @messengerFlag

19. Jay.A.Ottley

I catch the drift of using Stantham as the leading man, but for Transformers 4 he is just wrong, maybe as a army or marine leader, yeah definately can see him there...

But as the main lead in the 4th installment is just a no, i just guess in my honest opinion, Transformers needs that sci-fi nerdy but cool main character, like Shia.

I'd like to see either Jesse Eisenberg, Michael Cera or Andrew Garfield helm the franchise as lead...Bets on Eisenberg because he can play a darker/badass role better than Cera

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

20. Sean

@renodc
    I coudln't agree with you more on that. Good point you've made there.

3 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

21. BERSERKER

@johnnyblazetb82
    I hate to compare action starts, because everybody is different. But I guess you can not help but to compare them in some good ways and bad, funny enough I think Jason Statham (The Bank Job), Jet Li (Hero, Fearless) , Dwayne Johnson ( Gridiron Gang, Faster, Walking Tall), and even Arnold ( Collateral Damage, Terminator 2,) have range if they ever wanted to do something outside of action. It's just what they put out, or what comes to them in my opinion.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

22. T.Clark

@2movieguys It sounds like you're holding Jason Statham to a higher esteem than the Transformers franchise. Wow.

3 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

@dan1, @insertusernamehere - precisely.

@messenger, more than understood. However, that doesn't mean that they can't do better than following the same formula as the past films. Entertaining, sure, but were a Transformers film to be done to the best of its creators extent, I'm sure they'd make even more money. Looking at the majority of the highest grossing films of all time, they got there because they did their very best, and that translated well on screen, impressing laymen and critic alike. Statham isn't what this franchise needs, and this is all just rumor anyways, so I was really just reaffirming the lameness of the concept that this rumor is pitching with fellow users.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

24. Monkeyiron 2.0

@ghostman if we call it that then it will only be about the bots fighting humans then Decepticons

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

25. Billy James Strickland

Ha! All i have to say is this made me laugh!

3 years agoby @Billy-James-StricklandFlag

26. Summit10

woh woh woh!!! hold on there! Is it just they are a real couple that your bringing him in? or for the fact that he's into car movies which makes this an amalgam of Transporter to Transformer... I believe it was Independence Day that was celebrated recently and not April Fools :)

3 years agoby @summit10Flag

27. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

@Number1Wolverine your right that Stahtam is a likable guy, but jus see him more as another Van Damme dont realy see him reaching A list action star status, jus my opinion.

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

28. Xenon

You could say the same thing about Daniel Craig, none of them have range

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

29. bigmac

i cant understand Jason Statham in any movies. he not a good actor at all he trying to be the next schwarzenegger

3 years agoby @bigmacFlag

30. FrankenFate

You people are stupid as f*ck, the 2 main actors are gone now. Megan got fired after the 2nd film and Shia quit after the 3rd film. All they got now are their co-stars. They can't make this happen without at least 1 main star which is Shia. Next thing you know, when they start filming the 5th one in a few years, we find out that one of the co-stars quit, like Josh Duhamel or Tyrese Ginson. You all know I'm right.

3 years agoby @frankenfateFlag