James Cameron's Plans After 'Avatar'

"I want to do something a lot smaller..."
According to The Hollywood Reporter, James Cameron is looking to continue his pioneering stereoscopic 3-D efforts -- though not necessarily with a big action movie or visual effects-laden project like Avatar.

"After Avatar, I want to do something a lot smaller," Cameron said Thursday.

On the director's sonar is The Dive, a true story about the romance between controversial Cuban free diver Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras and Frenchwoman Audrey Mestre. Under his guidance, Mestre became a free diver who broke several world records but died in 2002 while competing. (Free-diving competitors must hold their breath for long periods of time while deep under water.)

"It's a drama, a love story," Cameron said. "This will require underwater photography, which will look gorgeous in 3-D."

When dramatic 3-D is achieved, Cameron believes it could bring about "the kind of uncomfortable feeling that people like in a movie theater; they feel like they are being challenged. It can actually be quite powerful.

"I think (3-D for drama) is the big overlooked area (now) because the economics don't really drive that direction."

Cameron added that action and computer animation will likely drive the 3-D market for a while, but with the infrastructure gains on the way, he expects that will change.

"The visual aesthetic of doing dramatic stuff in 3-D is very simple," he said. "Just don't remind people that they are watching a 3-D movie. That will take them out of the experience."

Ferreras was a central figure in a 2001 Imax documentary, "Ocean Men: Extreme Dive."

Avatar is scheduled to open Dec. 18, 2009.

1. They call me ITCHY BALLS

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Hahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

6 years agoby @danbrchFlag

2. T.Clark

CivilCowboy is just making a random statement like he always does. If it wasn't me, it would be anybody.

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

3. K-Man

Thats cute, Look AndrewRyan your boyfriend has come to stick up for you. I didn't know you two were dating.

AndrewRyan, what are you f*cking illiterate? Look at the posts beneath you. The best comment comes from your boyfriend who claims "Cameron is turning into doo doo". Ands it not even like I had to look for that one.

6 years agoby @k-manFlag

4. They call me ITCHY BALLS

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT....K-MAN & ANDREWRYAN....IF ANDREWRYAN DON'T WIN....WE'LL ALL JUMP IN!

6 years agoby @danbrchFlag

5. T.Clark

"Hold on a second while i prove my point" I thought I already "proved ur point" And i think ur the only one u should be worrying about getting overdramatic. Ur posts r longer than an old guy's balls. And i don't think anybody was really bashing Cameron. If someone on this site said he was horrible, please tell me, c*cksuck

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

6. K-Man

Wow AndrewRyan thanks for proving my point! Like I said, it was just a f*cking statement, and to have your next project scheduled before finishing the current one is about as normal as it gets in the Film Industry. They have conceptual design artists start drawing/painting pictures so that when they officially start pre-production they have something to look at for inspiration. Lets not get over dramatic or anything, for f*cks sake! Hold on a second while I prove my point. For example, Steven Spielberg has four projects in the works right now, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Interstellar, Lincoln and Tintin! He has had Lincoln on his list for years.....and guess what? Indiana Jones (which I would say is a big f*cking undertaking hasn't even been released yet). Hold on a sec I'm not done yet. Guillermo del Toro has FIVE movies in the mix right now, The Hobbit, The Hobbit sequel (wow those two alone are not big projects now are they?), 3993, Doctor Strange, and at the Mountains of Madness. Oh and he hasn't even released Hellboy 2 yet has he?
    But wait one last thing, Peter Jackson physically started pre-production on King Kong before he was done with Lord of the Rings: Return of the King!

So what now AndrewRyan?

6 years agoby @k-manFlag

7. T.Clark

We KNOW he's a legend k-man, and we KNOW avatar will be good, we just can't believe he's already thinking about a "smaller" project when he doesn't even have avatar finished! So shove that down ur throat and sh*t it!!!

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

8. They call me ITCHY BALLS

Blah blah blah blah blah. Go play in a broken glass filled dumptster, K-Man.

6 years agoby @danbrchFlag

9. They call me ITCHY BALLS

BUURRRRPPPPP!!!! AHHHHHHH.

6 years agoby @danbrchFlag

10. K-Man

See this is the problem with Movieweb! There are too many high school jackasses who clearly know nothing about film which makes it impossible to have a decent conversation with anyone, and its usually the same people posting dumb-ass comment after dumb-ass comment, over and over again. But I am going to remember this one in-particular because everybody in here is bashing Cameron on things they haven't even seen yet. I absolutely guarantee that every single person in this chat-room comes back to eat there own f*cking words after Avatar. All of you are going to be praising him in about 7 months time. Mark my words, please.
    Oh and 3-D is going to play a huge part in cinema future, it just so happens that people like James Cameron, Peter Jackson, and Robert Zemeckis saw it first and are the ones developing/perfecting it. This is merely the beginning.
    Oh and Criz912, are all people in Chile as clueless about movies as you are, because here are a few little facts? First off Cameron has never released a movie in 3-D before (aside from the Terminator 2 universal studios ride which doesn't count) so thats pretty amazing that all of his "3D movies" are going straight to DVD in your country. (And if you are referring to his Doc*mentaries then your an idiot because docs don't count either, although having said that all of his doc*mentaries have been released in select theatres and Imax worldwide.) Second, he hasn't released a movie... PERIOD... in over ten years, so again thats incredible that you are getting straight to dvd releases by Cameron. Third, he has NEVER had a straight to dvd release! So how is it that you come to bash him for sh*t that doesn't even exist? Lastly, your telling me the guy who did T2 took the wrong road and didn't go on to do blockbusters when he has done both True Lies and Titanic since then, one of which is the highest grossing movie of all time and the other an incredible action film. Wow, its amazing how knowledgeable you are about film.

Cameron is a legend in the film industry and its ridiculous that you guys are slamming him because his last film wasn't a shoot-em-up, explosion fest, which is unfortunately the only thing most of you can relate to.
    Oh and your complaining about his need to finish Avatar before considering another project. HE IS DOING THAT you c*ckf*gs! He merely made a statement that he would like some of his future projects to be a little smaller, thats it!
    And dont forget that Battle Angel is slated under his upcoming projects, so I would bite my tongue before I complained too much.

6 years agoby @k-manFlag

11. dcrock

Titanic is actually the only movie i couldn't stand of his.Boring and more boring.Glad he's going back to sci-fi.

6 years agoby @dcrockFlag

12. Editboy

I've always been a HUGE fan of James Cameron. I'm definitely looking forward to Avatar to see what he'll bring, even with the 3D. I've always been a little skeptical of 3D movies. But if Cameron is excited about the format then I'll be open to what he wants to do with it. We'll see...

6 years agoby @editboyFlag

13. PatCourtney

\/ ever heard of a little movie called titanic there criz.
    also i beleive he probably is close to finishing, if anything itll be pushed back a little. who knows.

6 years agoby @patcourtneyFlag

14. Criz912

too bad james cameron took the wrong road...here in CHILE his 3d movies go straight to dvd cause they are boring...i can`t believe someone who make T2 didn`t continue making blockbsuter movies...what the hell was he thinking?. rest in peace james cameron

6 years agoby @criz912Flag

15. T.Clark

Need to hear more infor bout avatar. And comix, ur right, he's not even finished with avatar. I bet u avatar gets pushed back to august 2010. I'm puttin it on the table. If not august, then sometime in 2010

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

16. The_Comix

Why the f*ck is he talking about his NEXT NEXT project when he needs to finish his ass up with Avatar.

Which honestly, the more I have to wait, and the less were getting any info of this, im getting uninterested.

6 years agoby @the-comixFlag

17. Phatlightning

sh*t, I was kind of hoping he would say his next project is dieing.

6 years agoby @sxers2k1Flag

18. They call me ITCHY BALLS

James Cameron is turing into doo doo.

6 years agoby @danbrchFlag

19. sirmetro

what the f*ck is this? has cameroon lost his f*ckin mind,from titanic to thjis!
    some people saY THIS IS GONNA SUCK.Well we cant listen to everythin the critics say ,but this myt be his downfall

6 years agoby @sirmetroFlag

20. ed_wood

Avatar is a long way off.

6 years agoby @ed-woodFlag