'Jack Reacher' Sequel Not Likely Unless the Film Becomes a Blockbuster in Asia

Tom Cruise's action-thriller needs to add another $100 million to its $153 million worldwide tally to secure a follow-up.
Jack Reacher sequel is unlikely barring success in the Asian markets
Jack Reacher sequel is unlikely barring success in the Asian markets
For those hoping Paramount will move forward on a sequel to Jack Reacher, the chances are slim, barring a box office miracle in Asia. Insiders claim that the Tom Cruise action-thriller has to do "exceptional" business in key Asian territories, in order to warrant a follow-up.

Jack Reacher has earned $72.6 million domestically, with a worldwide tally of $153 million. Sources claim that Paramount Pictures will not consider making Jack Reacher 2 unless the worldwide total is over $250 million. Director Christopher McQuarrie's adaptation of Lee Child's novel opens in Korea this week, with its Japanese debut slated for February 1, and a Chinese release tentatively set for February 16.

The film is projected to earn around $85 million domestically, which means it would need $165 million internationally, twice its current total. Jack Reacher will face competition from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which debuts in China February 22, and two Chinese movies opening February 14, that coincide with the Chinese New Year.

Jack Reacher was released December 21st, 2012 and stars Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike, Richard Jenkins, David Oyelowo, Werner Herzog, Jai Courtney, Vladimir Sizov, Joseph Sikora. The film is directed by Christopher McQuarrie.

So far it's at 213 million. Guess that sequel might not happen

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

2. Letaelba788

Peyton. I can see what your saying... Billy`s rep0rt is something... on saturday I bought a brand new Mercedes-Benz S-class when I got my cheque for $4505 this past month and more than $10 thousand this past month. no-doubt about it, this really is the easiest-work Ive ever done. I began this 10-months ago and almost straight away began to earn at least $86... per-hr. I follow this great link,, =============bit90.com=============

2 years agoby @letaelba788Flag

3. The_Crow2k

Damn it....this was one of the better films in the God-awful 2012.
    I really hope it will reach these numbers and we'll get a sequel.

2 years agoby @the-crow2kFlag

4. Youngrizo

Such a shame if they don't, it's a great film and I'd enjoy more stories in his Universe. I find it odd they want a new feature to do such big numbers when all it's really riding on is Tom Cruise and the book popularity.

This is not Twilight or the Hunger games. They are not getting tweens into seats so big numbers are off the table for a first entry. I wish the suits that make these decisions could be more logical.

The Bourne Identity on a 60 million dollar budget only made 214 mil and that Franchise went on to be a major success, to the point after the trilogy, Universal still wanna milk it. Paramount is sooooooo annoying with their business decisions sometimes.

2 years agoby @youngrizoFlag

5. Yannick Decorte

I've never seen this before. It's like the author of the article didn't even pay attention to his own article.

"Jack Reacher has earned $72.6 million domestically, with a worldwide tally of $153 million. Sources claim that Paramount Pictures will not consider making Jack Reacher 2 unless the worldwide total is over $250 million.

[...]

The film is projected to earn around $85 million domestically, which means it would need $165 million internationally, twice its current total."

2 years agoby @yannick-decorteFlag

6. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Didn't see the movie, sadly. It looks good, but I heard it's not doing all that well, so this isn't really a surprise.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

7. Nicholaus XX

The first one was surprisingly okay. That being said, a sequel would be completely unnecessary.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

8. ROFLitschristian

Did any really want the first one... Really?

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

9. Roberto Mata

Great Film, I hope they make all the books

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

If he has strong foreign popularity, he should be able to make 100 million

11. CelluloidDreams

To bad...a great film!!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

12. Jonnred

Damn maybe they should of released it this month or in the spring. I thought it was a cool flick and I've read a few of the books not the one the movie is based on and the books are very cinematic.

2 years agoby @jonnredFlag

13. Michael Kolesik

I wasn't expecting this to do that well. Why? Competition with the Hobbit. 'Nuff said.

2 years agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

14. John M

That's sad, because the first film was actually good. I had my doubts about the film going into to it never reading the novels and hearing big complaints by fans of the novel, but it turned out to be a good action/thriller and Tom Cruise did a good job with the character. Hopefully the film will do better overseas which will garner it a sequel.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

15. Anguslovesducks

Hope they dont....first one sucked ass

2 years agoby @AnguslovesducksFlag