J.J. Abrams to Direct 'Star Wars: Episode VII'!

A source has revealed that the 'Star Trek' director has officially signed onto direct the next chapter in the 'Star Wars' universe.
J.J. Abrams confirmed to direct Star Wars: Episode VII
J.J. Abrams confirmed to direct Star Wars: Episode VII
Breaking news just in: Star Trek director J.J. Abrams has been confirmed as the director of Star Wars: Episode VII for Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Pictures.

There is no official word from Walt Disney Pictures or Lucasfilm at this time. A source close to the project had this to say.

"It's a done deal with J.J."

The source also revealed that Argo director Ben Affleck was up for the gig, and next in line to direct if J.J. Abrams passed on the film.

In November, J.J. Abrams claimed he was not interested in directing the film.

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that - I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn't have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

Kathleen Kennedy went after J.J. Abrams herself, heavily courting him over a period of time. The director was the executive producer on the television series Lost, and directed Mission: Impossible III and Super 8. His next directorial project is the franchise sequel Star Trek Into Darkness.

Star Wars: Episode VII will debut in May of 2015, with a screenplay by Michael Arndt.

We'll have more as this story is official announced by Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm later in the day.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Deadline

1. gumperman

So if this is true, will John Williams be doing the music or will Michael Giacchino get the gig?

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

2. thedude-abides

@bawnian-dexeus I completely agree with everything you said except as it pertains to Abrams. Not that I disagree, per se, but that's definitely an interesting take... I've never really thought of him like that, but I see what you're getting at.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides Abrams is this generation's Spielberg my friend. He's got my support. Of course, he's gonna walk out with grey hair after a decade of both franchises, but hey, he will leave enriching our childhoods and the next to come. The only move I'm not a fan of is Disney wanting to release SW movies like Marvel has done with their heroes. I wouldn't call Marvel's model as overkill as I would call the idea of 2-3 star wars movies a year overkill. I mean, there's a reason why it works and makes sense for MCU than it would SW. Just how I see it, although if I were running things at Disney, the board members would be telling me to adopt the model or be told to step down.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

4. Jay.A.Ottley

Nice to see that in the end J.J got his way and got his deal done with LucasFilm & Walt Disney.

Also Disney have officially confirmed him as the director.

1 year agoby @jayaottleyFlag

5. thedude-abides

@SirBrandon Well put. I'm on board with that.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

6. LuxoIII

When they say "a source close to the project," I'm not very inclined to believe what follows. That said, I hope it's true.

1 year agoby @brady1138Flag

7. thedude-abides

@bawnian-dexeus So, I take it you're a fan of this move?

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides Plus it would benefit his Bad robot to co-produce

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

9. thedude-abides

@bawnian-dexeus Lol. Apparently so.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides The man just loves his sci-fi

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

11. thedude-abides

From Star Trek to Super 8 to Star Wars... Talk about branching out creatively.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

12. bipolarmassive

Keep in mind, JJ Abrams brought a "Retro-Like" nostalgia [based on the original television series] to both Star Trek movies. If he can do the same and recapture the magic of the original Star Wars Trilogy, then I say he is the right man for the job! Look at it this way, Abrams is the Steven Spielberg who never got the chance to direct a Star Wars movie....

1 year agoby @addictionnonfatelFlag

13. Superman81

I just cant see this being true but I'm sure he will do a good job. Funny the source said Ben Affleck was next in line, he won't direct unless he is the start that's why he turned down justice League

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

14. Space101

Star Trek vs Star Wars...let's see who wins...

1 year agoby @space101Flag

15. Xenon

@Julin-Dylan if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

16. Julián Dylan

Without count his ridiculous "Super 8".

1 year agoby @Julin-DylanFlag

17. Julián Dylan

The last Star Trek movie is pure sh*t! Please... JJ Abrams is so overrated.

1 year agoby @Julin-DylanFlag

18. Sean

@bawnian-dexeus I hope so as well.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

19. Sean

@kingbrady Yes, it certainly shall be interesting!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

If it is true, I hope he stays for the trilogy

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

People who believe he's going to mix these two franchises up aren't being rational, no offense. They're pretty different universes to begin with, and if anything, I feel that Abrams would differentiate them even further to avoid that same problem. This guy makes the big bucks, folks. I don't think he'd make an elementary mistake like that. That's provided he gets the job in the first place, but seeing as how the news has backed this up, it's looking likely. That or "it's an elaborate ruse". Lol.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

22. incmob

i think this is the best news so far. if he can do for star wars what he has done for trek, i am sold.

1 year agoby @incmobFlag

23. kingbrady

@themoviefanatic point is movieweb is known for throwing out every rumour without even suggesting its a possible rumour, we're led to believe its in the making not even given the choice of a possible rumour....love JJ Abrams, this shall be interesting

1 year agoby @kingbradyFlag

24. ollie-styrene

First he sais no, then yes,..??? i guess the cash pile got big enough.. I`m sure he`l do a good job anyways...

1 year agoby @ollie-styreneFlag

Lol @ the no faith in this story. Movieweb has retracted itself too many times, it's understandable.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

26. SpideR-OnE

now Abrams takes control of a large part of the space
    Star Trek-Wars
    hope he do not screw it up and dont mash it up, each story is different.

1 year agoby @spider-oneFlag

27. The Knight Has Risen

Goddammit, is he directing or isn't he?!! Make up your motherf*cking minds, people!

1 year agoby @thehost91Flag

28. Sean

@kingbrady If it is true then there will probably be an article posted here on movieweb confirming it. If it is not true then i'm sure they would do the same thing, posting an article confirming that it is not true.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

29. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Surprised he denied it then accepted it later... So I wonder if this is legit or not.

1 year agoby @cryptFlag