J.J. Abrams Says 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Klingons Are Different from the Previous Klingons

The director reveals that viewers don't need to know any of the previous Klingon storylines, and shares a tidbit about Alice Eve's Carol Marcus.
Star Trek Into Darkness to feature adversarial Klingons, according to J.J. Abrams
Before J.J. Abrams gets to work on Star Wars: Episode VII, the filmmaker will roll out what will surely be one of this year's biggest box office hits, Star Trek Into Darkness. The director recently spoke about the addition of the Klingons to this highly-anticipated sequel, who were initially set to appear in 2009's Star Trek before the scene was cut.

"Their role in this is definitely adversarial, and you'll see how that plays out. You don't need to know any preexisting stories to watch this film. We had shot some stuff that had Klingons in [our first Star Trek film], and we cut the scene. It's a deleted scene on the DVD. But they're back in this one."

Another new addition in this highly-anticipated follow-up is Carol Marcus, portrayed by Alice Eve, a character who has been rumored to be a love interest of Chris Pine's Captain Kirk. While the director wouldn't confirm or deny whether or not sparks will fly between Kirk and Marcus, he revealed that a romance will not come at the expense of the overall story.

"He meets her fairly early on and again she plays a science officer, she's someone who is a part of the adventure. I think Chris is right, because it's very much an action adventure movie and once that gets going it's a difficult thing to park the story and say, 'Let's do a romantic interlude.' Her role is important, she wouldn't be in the movie otherwise."

Star Trek Into Darkness was released May 17th, 2013 and stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: MTV

1. Xenon

Okay how can there be a third version of klingon, there is the clear forehead, the armadillo forehead, what next? A warhog Klingon.

At least they are a war crazed race with honer.
    Ka Pla

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

Still.think the race name is sissy

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@Michael-Kolesik Good info, dude.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

4. Michael Kolesik

@narrator Thanks, I appreciate that :)

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

Lol, @Michael-Kolesik. For you and the millions of voices currently crying out, I'll do my best to refer to it as a sequel as opposed to a reboot. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. In fact, I think I referred to Abrams film as a sequel upon being corrected by a friend, and then I was re-swept into everyone else saying it's a reboot.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

6. CelluloidDreams

...Ok..

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

7. Michael Kolesik

@ejk1 Actually, yes. CBS and J.J. Abrams helped write them and authenticate them, so they are canon to the Star Trek storyline. In case you're curious, you should check out Star Trek Online (the MMORPG) and Star Trek: Countdown (a graphic novel). Both of these are confirmed canon that reference both universes and bridge the gap.

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

@Michael-Kolesik Just out of curiosity, did anyone authenticate those books and video games as official segments of the story, the way Lucas et al did The Force Unleashed, or not?

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

9. ROFLitschristian

Change is good.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

10. Michael Kolesik

I'm just going around posting the following on every Star Trek story I see because I'm sick of seeing it...

Abram's Star Trek is NOT a reboot. It's a sequel. There's even books, videogames and novels connecting the events of Star Trek Nemesis to Abram's Star Trek. You're welcome.

Sincerely, a nerd who has no life.

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

11. The Real Goku

Ok! Good thing that I won't need to know the previous versions. Because I will be the first to admit that I was never a fan if Star Trek growing up. It was boring as f*ck to me lol but I like JJ's version. It appeals more to my generation. To the people under 24 LOL

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag