'Iron Man' Won't Get a Reboot When Robert Downey Jr. Leaves

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige says they will follow the James Bond blueprint by having another actor step into the role.
Iron Man won't be rebooted if Robert Downey Jr. leaves the franchise
Iron Man won't be rebooted if Robert Downey Jr. leaves the franchise
With Iron Man 3 about to start principal photography in a few weeks, it seems strange to imagine anyone else besides Robert Downey Jr. playing Tony Stark. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige recently said that, in the event Robert Downey Jr. leaves the franchise, it will not be rebooted. Here's what the executive had to say, likening the Iron Man series to James Bond.

"I think Bond is a good example. Let's put it this way: I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark. If and when he doesn't, and I'm still here making these movies, we don't take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again. I think we James Bond it."

The actor will almost certainly return as Tony Stark in the inevitable sequel The Avengers 2. After that, it isn't clear how many other movies, if any, Robert Downey Jr. is signed on for at Marvel Studios. Kevin Feige also spoke out about the negative connotation attached to the word "reboot," and how it shouldn't apply to The Amazing Spider-Man.

"I think the term reboot has got to go. I think it's like after the Star Wars movies nobody likes the idea of prequels, and reboots have turned into the same thing. It means 'Oh they've run out of ideas! It's bad.' I've seen The Amazing Spider-Man. It's awesome. It's totally fresh and unique."

Iron Man 3 was released May 3rd, 2013 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau, Ben Kingsley, James Badge Dale. The film is directed by Shane Black.

Sources: Badass Digest

1. Shakil Ahmed

i think if RDJ want to leave after avengers 2 as tony stark then i'll say don't reboot him just for one movie cause if RDJ leave after avengers 2 then we got only avengers 3 movie left which we need iron man. so instead of replace him and get new face for avengers 3 why not kill tony stark on end of avengers 2 and for avengers 3 bring James Rhodes / War Machine on iron man place. atleast the will make sense. that Rhodes took over after his friend dead to honor him and marvel phase 3 could go on with the new avengers story line. i'm sure the fan will love it instead of new face. but i wouldn't try to change him cause he's more like lead role of the avengers so now if marvel want a new iron man and replace RDJ so it will look weird on avengers movie. if still marvel want to someone else to play iron man then i'll say reboot the whole avengers team.

1 year agoby @Shakil-Ahmed-22258769Flag

2. MadJohnsonProductions

Thank you feige! No reboot for iron man.

2 years agoby @MadJohnsonProductionsFlag

3. Corey W.

@dan1 RDJ is a perfect IRON MAN and I don't see any reason why he'd stop playing the role for another decade or so unless he decides he wants to be done with it, which I don't think he will be.

I too am not racking my brain on who'll play Stark several years from now. That person might not even be in the acting business yet. I'm just excited for Avengers and IM3, same as you :D

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

4. Corey W.

That's how all comic book superhero flicks should be nowadays. Seriously, as excited as I am for The Amazing Spider-Man they should have just started a new Spider-Man story with a new actor instead of starting it all over again. Everyone is already familar with the Spider-Man story enough where if they start at the point in which he's already a web-slinger it wouldn't have mattered.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

5. moviegeek

That doesn't make sense.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

6. Josh

No one has mentioned yet, that Marvel can essentially reboot their entire film universe like they did in the comics with the Ultimates line, and they could go back and tell NEW origin stories for the same characters (with different actors, obviously), rather than rehash the same stories we've seen.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

7. CelluloidDreams

Someone in Hollywood got smart! No more reboots!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

8. Joshua Hollaway

@comicbookfan You would be saying the same thing if they remade it. Cant please everyone all the time...can you?

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

9. thedude-abides

Eh. I guess if they're gonna do it, at least they're not gonna recycle the same origins story over and over and over like every other cbm. Idk, I guess I like the idea...

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

10. CBF

No! Don't follow the James Bond mold and recast the role, you schmucks! When will Hollywood knock this crap off?

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

11. Sean

@felipe-11 I don't think Johnny Depp would be the right choice for the role as Tony Stark/Iron Man honestly.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

@dan1 Don't I always?

@bawnian-dexeus Learn to enjoy what is (soon to be) right in front of you, instead of the distant future.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 Learn to multitask

I guess I'm the weird guy here who's still excited for Avengers and IM3, two definite movies happening or happened, and am not wracking my brain on who's going to replace RDJ several years from now.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. SherlockHolmes2009

@felipe-11 I definetly see what your talking about, I wonder who could take over if it ever happens but like @themoviefanatic said I cant really see it, its some big shoes to fill

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

17. Replicant

@themoviefanatic Again, that's exactly what they said about the other actors I mentioned. And there's a ton of other examples.

As for who could play Stark? Right off the top of my head, Johnny Depp. But that would be a bit of an obvious choice, there's a number of talented actors who can do it, you just have to find them.

Your problem is that you're trying to find someone that can imitate Downey's performance, instead of creating his own performance.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

18. Sean

@felipe-11 Yeah, but this is different, because Robert Downey Jr is Tony Stark by now, he is the only actor who can play that role. I just cannot see anyone else playing that role at this point. I mean when you think about it, who else could possibly play the role as Tony Stark/Iron Man?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

19. Lastwerdz

WB studios,here&#180s your solution for the batman dilemma

2 years agoby @lastwerdzFlag

@shuabert Which reminds me, I wonder how long it will be before we get to see Spidey in his other variant costumes

21. Replicant

Good news, I like that.

@junior-roberts True.

@shuabert You have a point, and I think some franchises are getting to the point where the "starting movie" is so good you don't really need another origin story to "reboot" it. Say Batman for instance, I'd love to see a completely different take on it when Nolan finishes it, but I don't need to see Bruce's parents being killed again. That case might seem obvious because Batman was always universally popular, but the same thing applies for these other movies like say Thor which was pretty much unknown outside the comic-book world; we now have an incredibly solid movie with his origin, no need to do it again if they decide to reboot it in 10 years.

But the same can't be said for movies who really didn't have a great start and need to get that right first. They did it with Hulk, and they gotta do it with Fantastic Four, Superman, etc.

@SherlockHolmes2009@bawnian-dexeus@themoviefanatic I definitely LOVE Robert as Tony Stark and it obviously helps that he behaves like him in real life, but honestly there's a ton of actors who could play him just as well. Remember when everybody said they didn't see anyone besides Jack Nicholson as the Joker? Or Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan as Bond? And look what happened ;)

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

22. Joshua Hollaway

@bawnian-dexeus matthew fox? interesting..

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

23. Josh

Justin Theroux could be a good Tony Stark, and he has experience with the character, having written on the Iron Man 2 script.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

24. Josh

Dude. Amazing Spider-Man IS a reboot. It goes back over the same period in the character's life and tells the story again, so that's not the same thing as Bond.

However, on the Iron Man front, I would be really stoked if they went the Bond route and just replaced the actor within the same cinematic universe. I think Marvel has shown a precedent for doing that, with the Jim Rhodes and Bruce Banner characters. So this news doesn't really come as a surprise. I think this is generally the best way to go, provided you haven't already messed up the continuity too badly (I would have preferred X-Men First Class to have been a proper reboot, for instance). I don't see any reason to tell Tony Stark's origin again, just like I don't see why they went back to tell Peter Parker's (however "awesome" the movie ends up being), when they could just as easily picked up with new stories set after the existing films without referencing back to those older films. Obviously, with the interconnected nature of the Marvel universe, it's likely they will reference other films, but the way they've structured it seems to be that each series of individual films works towards a single Avengers film, so Iron Man 4 or 5, or whenever Downey leaves, could be tying in to Avengers 2 or 3, rather than calling back to previous Iron Man or previous Avengers films.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

25. Sean

@SherlockHolmes2009 I agree. I can't see anyone else as Tony stark either honestly.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

26. SherlockHolmes2009

Glad to hear this, I cant even see anyone else as Tony Stark

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

Milo Ventimiglia, Casey Affleck, Karl Urban. Matthew Fox and a few others I can't name

28. Bane5000

Let the debate begin...Who could take over for RDJ if and when the day comes he steps down as Ironman?

2 years agoby @bane5000Flag

29. Sean

Good. Robert Downey Jr is the only actor who i can think of, that would play the role of Iron Man/Tony Stark the best.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag