'Iron Man 3' Holiday Card; Robert Downey Jr. Says the Film Has a Darker Tone

The actor also reveals that Ben Kingsley's Mandarin is an 'evil genius' in director Shane Black's superhero sequel.
Marvel Studios has given fans a belated Christmas present with a new holiday card from Iron Man 3, with Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark admiring the snow falling down around him. Take a look at this unique Christmas card, then read on to see what the actor had to say about this superhero sequel.

Iron Man 3 Holiday Card

Last month, producer Kevin Feige revealed Iron Man 3 is not a "serious movie." Robert Downey Jr. revealed in a recent interview that director Shane Black wants a "dark feel" for this follow-up, while going back to the Marvel comic book roots.

"I think Shane has gone for a dark feel in this movie. It's a lot grittier and goes back to its comic-book roots. It's shaped into a really special movie - and Shane as been instrument [sic] in that."

Robert Downey Jr. also spoke about the villainous Mandarin, played by Ben Kingsley.

"I always think there's something more terrifying about a villain who's a genius, as opposed to just relying on strength or ability. We all know what a fantastic actor Ben Kingsley is, and he pulls off the evil genius with real terrifying results."

He also spoke briefly about doing all of his own stunts, and commented on the ankle injury he suffered on the set back in August.

"I've always said that while I'm physically able, I want to do all my own stunts in the movies that I make. I want the audience to sit there, thinking, 'was he really stupid enough to attempt that?' I actually hurt my ankle in a stunt and filming was shut down for a few days."

Iron Man 3 was released May 3rd, 2013 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau, Ben Kingsley, James Badge Dale. The film is directed by Shane Black.

Sources: Marvel Studios, Comic Book Movie

1. Xenon

@moviemaniac66 I understand what your saying and Sam should have finished that story line but in the greater scheme of things he went another route. I'm hoping that the next film gets back on track since Dans contract has him in two more films.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Youngrizo

@xenon56 My problem was just, they completely aped TDK and that in my opinion cheapened the experience and as a fan of Bond, I hated it. I love the theme they went with but the execution of it bothers me personally.

I know I lotta people liked it, i won't knock anyone for enjoying it, i can see what they would enjoy about it, but it felt like a great betrayal to the character to basically model an entire film in his universe on The Dark Knight, Bond as a character is complex enough and I feel like Casino Royale portrayed that well, with QOS delving a little more into what CR started. As a result Skyfall ended up feeling like a cheap knock off. Especially with the villain being written to be so Joker-esque.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

3. Sean

Cool.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

4. Xenon

@youngrizo not so, I found it better that way. A single story to break away from the main story line. They will continue the main story in the next film, Bond has to do his job you know.

Too many films lately are getting the dark treatment and it's getting old fast.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

5. Youngrizo

Nolan's batman franchise is not the first to have a dark tone. Blade was always a little dark.(pun not intended)

When people refer to dark, they simply mean it as a way of describing the tone, and dark is definitely more serious but it's not trying to be Batman. It has no need to do that.

I understand it's hard to disconnect long enough to see the difference between studios that want to ape TDK and those that know it's unnecessary.

Storywise, writers will always be inspired by other stuff, the worst offender of the 'dark' inspired by TDK tone is Skyfall.... a shame too cause they completely dismissed everything the previous 2 movies in that franchise set up.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

6. ROFLitschristian

Poor guy. First Banner breaks up the bromance, then he cuts off all his hair, now he's stranded in the snow. This surely is a dark movie.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

its not a serious movie...its a dark movie...

figure it out people!

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

So far it's lightly dark

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

9. ChiRep_1

Somebody's eating dirt this time around..

1 year agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

10. David garcia

What no Bruce banner cameo, what's the meaning of this. Wait, its a greeting, never mind.

1 year agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

11. Xenon

Why so serious? 'joker's voice'

I like how he claims it's not a serious film and yet it is.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

12. frank2029

What? Did you mean like Batman Mr. Downey? Highly doubt it....

1 year agoby @frank2029Flag