'Iron Man 3' Crosses $400 Million at the Domestic Box Office

Director Shane Black's superhero sequel starring Robert Downey Jr. has made over $1.2 billion at the global box office.
Iron Man 3 crosses the $400 million domestic box office mark
Iron Man 3 crosses the $400 million domestic box office mark
The Marvel Studios blockbuster Iron Man 3 has passed the $400 million box office plateau, racking up $400.3 million after just seven weeks in release.

Director Shane Black's blockbuster has earned over $1.2 billion worldwide, making it the fifth highest grossing movie of all time behind Avatar ($2.7 billion), Titanic ($2.1 billion), Marvel's The Avengers ($1.5 billion), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ($1.3 billion). The Marvel Phase Two sequel scored the second highest opening weekend in history with $174.1 million last month.

The action sequel has already surpassed Marvel's The Avengers' totals in China, Finland, Hong Kong, Korea, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, Thailand, and Ukraine. It is also the highest-grossing movie ever in Malaysia and Vietnam. Don't be surprised if Iron Man 3 ends its theatrical run as the third highest grossing movie behind Avatar and Titanic.

Iron Man 3 was released May 3rd, 2013 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau, Ben Kingsley, James Badge Dale. The film is directed by Shane Black.

Sources: Deadline

1. Ghostman

@ejk1 Thank you for saying that.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

In regards to IM3, MOS, and any other of these films that stupidly get thrown into what @ghostman so rightly called a "dick measuring" contest, you all paid to see these films, adding to the totals you deride. So...shut up.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

Not wholly deserved, in my humble opinion. Iron Man 3 had its moments, but I could easily say it was the weakest MCU film for me thus far and its fanboy praise feels out of place. Even close friends of mine are overlooking its flaws (something neither they nor I did for TDKR) in lieu of focusing on its positives. It's obvious bias yet hardly anyone admits to it? A solid action film? Absolutely. A strong Iron Man film? Nay.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

4. Cartman

@Brizzy sorry man i dont speak nerd... tc

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

5. Brizzy

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n holy sh*t man, you're demented..

1 year agoby @BrizzyFlag

6. Cartman

@Brizzy you calm the f*ck down,,...

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

7. Cartman

@Brizzy hayyyyyyyyy yeaaahhhh brizzyyyy wonnn, wooooow somebody get him a bbc to lick... yaaaaayyyy

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

8. Brizzy

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n Just calm the hell down is what im saying, there's no need to start flaming..

1 year agoby @BrizzyFlag

9. Brizzy

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n hahaha im suddently a DC fanboy because I called you a Marvel fanboy? Good reasoning, sir ;)
    1. Learn to spell.
    2. Grow up. "U dont deserve to be alive", yeah dude, you totally won that argument!

1 year agoby @BrizzyFlag

10. Cartman

@Brizzy says who?? the f*cked up DC fan boy?? U dont deserve to be alive, die already...

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

11. Brizzy

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n if anyone is "unfit to be on this site" it's you, mr marvel fanboy.

1 year agoby @BrizzyFlag

12. CelluloidDreams

$400 Million ....wow ...just domestically!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

13. CUPID

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n Lets not drag this on i saw the movie it was EPIC superman is and will always be my fav CB character and the movie didn't disappoint...cant wait for the next one.

1 year agoby @cupidFlag

14. Ghostman

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n I'm not taking any "criticism" for there wasn't any to begin with. Also, please note that Iron Man 3 has been out for quite a while now, about 7 weeks, and Man of Steel was JUST released. Of course it would not have made enough money, for it came out a week ago. You know how dumb of a statement that sounded? I'm sure if good word of mouth about Man of Steel gets out to the public, it can earn up to $250 million as my estimated total when their theatrical run ends. Also, IM3 made $175mil its first week, and MOS has earned $160mil in 6 days. So they're about equal in earning money. Like I said before, I don't care how much money this movie or that movie makes, it's all about entertainment and enjoyment. If I love the movie, then it was a success to me no matter how much money it made at the box office.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

15. Cartman

@ghostman - if u cant take criticism abt a mpvie or comparing, you are unfit to be in this site.. i dont see ppl getting annoyed except for few bastards who wants others to agree to wat eva they say... IM3 made more money than MoS..

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

@ghostman Why ? Just...why?

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

17. Sean

@ghostman Well, 2 of 4 of the Pirates movies have made over $1 billion dollars in the box office, and they all are great and entertaining movies that a lot of people like, so it isn't just me that likes them you know ;) .

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

18. Ghostman

@themoviefanatic The same could be said for you and Pirates of the Caribbean jk lol :P

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

19. Sean

@Joshua-Hollaway I don't either.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

20. Joshua Hollaway

To this day I still dont get the big deal about Avatar

1 year agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

21. Ghostman

@bawnian-dexeus Those are the only two film I've seen this summer. That, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Evil Dead. School's been getting in the way and money is tight.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

@ghostman Dafuq? Get your butt to the theater

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

23. Ghostman

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n There's nothing to prove wrong here. The fact is, people seem to be annoyed with you constantly comparing said Marvel movie to a DC movie. They see it as you trying to start a sh*t storm/flame war. I don't get why you don't compare to another movie. As I said, stop with the dick-measuring because it is childish behavior. It doesn't matter if a movie is a success or a failure, people will enjoy the film. I think you should thank me for I contributed to part of IM3's box office earnings due to me seeing the movie several times in theaters. I love the movie, but it's tough to decide weather this or Star Trek into Darkness is the better of the two. I still need to see Fast Six and Man of Steel.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

24. Cartman

@ghostman dude, movie is a business and wer der is business der is $$$$.. Obviously ppl will compare business and talk which is better. You cant go and make them stop. So what if the movie has a better story and amazing acting - eod if its a flop its a flop - and the business is a loss. IM3 made more money than MoS, its the fact and as a IM fan im expressing this here, its my view and truth. Prove me wrong!!

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

25. Ghostman

I respect your views/opinions @c-a-r-t-m-a-n but can you please stop with all the dick-measuring about which movie makes more than the other. Just because one has earned more doesn't mean it is the better movie of the two. This was expected due to Iron Man 3 piggy backing off of The Avengers success. Man of Steel and Superman in general isn't that much of a popular superhero to that of Batman or any Marvel franchise due to it not getting the "proper" treatment. I have yet to see MOS, but from what I heard, it isn't that good anyways.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

26. Cartman

@cupid - do come back and reply for my comment... im sure ull agree..

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

27. CUPID

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n Wont be reading your comment cause i'm seeing MOS tonight so thanks for the spoiler alert.

1 year agoby @cupidFlag