'How the Grinch Stole Christmas!' Animated Remake Coming from Universal Pictures

Peter Candeland is directing this 3D animated comedy for Universal and Illumination Entertainment based on Dr. Seuss' classic tale.
Universal Pictures is remaking How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Universal Pictures is remaking How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Universal Pictures and Illumination Enteratinment are joining forces for an animated remake of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! in 3D. Commercials director Peter Candeland will make his feature directorial debut with the project. No writer has been attached at this time.

The classic Dr. Seuss tale has been adapted several times since the book was first published in 1957. The How the Grinch Stole Christmas animated TV special first debuted in 1966, which continues to air during the holidays to this day. Universal also made a live-action version of Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas in 2000, with Jim Carrey starring as the grumpy title character, who is determined to destroy Christmas for all the Who's in Whoville.

Christopher Meledandri is producing for Illumination Entertainment, with Audrey Geisel, the widow of Dr. Seuss (a.k.a. Theodore Geisel), executive producing. Christopher Meledandri has also produced the Dr. Seuss adaptations Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who in 2008 and last year's Dr. Seuss' the Lorax. No production schedule was given.

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas comes to theaters November 17th, 2017.

Sources: Heat Vision Blog

1. CelluloidDreams

Damn Hollywood knows how to kill a classic!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

2. Mr.K

@Number1Wolverine It was a damn good film. Yes, it have some problems on the story but the animation is incredibly jaw-drooping and it is a fun movie with some decent characters and great cast.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

3. BERSERKER

@mr-k - I understand why people who work in Hollywood are rebooting everything, doesn't make them any less lazy but getting back on the topic of The Grinch. The movie was good and still holds up today, the main problem I have with this reboot is Universal Studios aren't known to make CG movies based on their films so you can tell this is being rushed just for the cash instead of giving us a quality Grinch cgi film which could be really good if done right.

I haven't seen The Owls of Ga'Hoole so I don't know if Zack is good at animation, was that movie any good, I heard it was boring?

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

4. undeadslayer4

@themoviefanatic no that the whole thing is for kids

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

5. Sean

@undeadslayer4 You agree with what comment of mine here?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. Sean

@monkeyiron2-0 You mean the movie they see? Or the parents of some kids? Or kids themselves?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. Monkeyiron 2.0

@themoviefanatic usually but some are more mature than your average kid-friendly movies

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

8. Sean

@monkeyiron2-0 Animated movies are mostly for kids. Usually, adults who see animated movies, are the ones who have kids and see them with their kids.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

9. Mr.K

@Number1Wolverine True but problem is that Dr.Seuss niece gave the rights of his books to Illumination Entertainment and Universal, seeing how they are planning to make CG films of The Grinch and The Cat In The Hat. Also, I can see this movie will flop cause, again, they are hiring a commercial director, who has no experience on making a film, direct this movie. Can these people at Hollywood get any dumber now? Why not hire Zack Snyder to direct a Dr.Seuss movie?

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

10. Monkeyiron 2.0

@themoviefanatic some animated movies are made mostly for kids and adults to dude

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

11. BERSERKER

@mr-k - Why can't that be made into a movie? I mean hell, they made Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs into a movie. It all depends on the creative minds behind the material, not the material itself.

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

12. Zak Lee Ferguson

KNew this was going to happen, the same with The Cat in The Hat, but this sounds like a terrible idea as Howards version was something special altogether....

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

13. Sean

@monkeyiron2-0 Yeah i figure that animated movies are for kids, and i am not a kid and i just do not like animated movie anyways.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

14. Sean

@monkeyiron2-0 I don't like animated movies though.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

15. Mr.K

@Number1Wolverine Like Green Eggs and Ham? How the hell can that be made into a movie?

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

16. SherlockHolmes2009

I love the story and I love both the 1966 animated cartoon and Jim Carreys movie so I look forward to this. I would be awesome if they payed tribute to the 1966 one and used Boris Karloffs voice over, if it gets released in 2015 then thats pretty damn close to the 50th anniversary of the 1966 cartoon

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

17. ROFLitschristian

The cartoon is a classic. The live action adaptation was decent, no where near as bad as everyone made it out to be. This, however, is a complete waste of time and money.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

18. ChiRep_1

I actually liked The Grinch and make it a tradition every year to watch it on Christmas Day with my brother. *Grabs popcorn*

1 year agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

19. BERSERKER

Can't say I'm 100% against this, but it still isn't necessary. There are hundreds of other Dr.Seuss stories to tell.

1 year agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

21. LazerDude

I am not one to say that a movie is bad before I see it.... however I will say that this movie is not needed... the animated classic is all we ever needed from the grinch

1 year agoby @lazerdudeFlag

22. Monkeyiron 2.0

@bawnian-dexeus@ejk1@SpaceCowboy@themoviefanatic@mr-k Guys calm down it might be good who knows it be better than the live action movie ok so just chill

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

23. Monkeyiron 2.0

I liked the live action movie but I always said if it was animated maybe I will love it...got my wish

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

24. Christian

But the movie is so good. It's timeless. Why remake it?? Ughhh I don't like this.

1 year agoby @christiancorpseFlag

25. Corey W.

I'm not against this, believe it or not. How the Grinch Stole Christmas deserves an animated adaptation, and no, the thirty minute short isn't enough.

Dr. Seuss' last few animated features, Horton and Lorax, have been pretty great and underrated. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the Grinch. Turning that and The Cat in the Hat into live-action films were just bad ideas altogether. It's better for a fresh start by turning them back into animations.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

26. Sean

The Grinch movie from 2000 is enough. No more please!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag