Hayao Miyazaki Is Retiring from Feature Films

The popular Japanese animator will retire after his work on 'The Wind Rises', but may still work on short films or other endeavors for Studio Ghibli in the future.
Hayao Miyazaki to retire from feature filmmaking after The Wind Rises
Hayao Miyazaki to retire from feature filmmaking after The Wind Rises
During a press conference at the Venice Film Festival yesterday, Studio Ghibli announced that acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki will "retire from the production of feature-length films." However, the announcement doesn't rule out the possibility of the filmmaker directing short films for the studio.

His final movie, The Wind Rises, has been playing in Japanese theaters since mid-July, but it doesn't have a U.S. release date set. The animated film is based on the life of Jiro Horikoshi, who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II. It is currently playing in competition at the Venice Film Festival, which runs through September 10.

Hayao Miyazaki formed Studio Ghibli in 1984 with fellow filmmaker Isao Takahata, where he directed critically-acclaimed classics such as Nausicca of the Valley Wind, Lapuata: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo and The Wind Rises. Spirited Away, which won the Oscar for Best Animated Film in 2003, is still the highest-grosssing movie ever in Japan, 12 years after it was first released.

The filmmaker revealed in an interview this year that he was open to the possibility of a sequel to Nausicca of the Valley Wind, but he would leave that project in the hands of Evangelion director Hideaki Anno, who served as an animator on the original film.

The Wind Rises was released February 21st, 2014 and stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Martin Short, Stanley Tucci, Mandy Patinkin, Mae Whitman, Werner Herzog. The film is directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

1. undeadslayer4

@brady1138 i agree with u but when he retires whats gonna happen to his company then how long will people remember him

7 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

Hasn't he retired several times now?

7 months agoby @skywiseFlag

3. Mr.K

I remember watching Spirited Away, which was my first Miyazaki film I watched, and I loved so much that I since bought and watched every single MIyazaki film in existence. The man is a genius and he truly deserves a long rest in his career.

7 months agoby @mr-kFlag

4. InnovativeFilmFan

Princess Mononoke was the first I seen at about 9 and totally changed my life.

7 months agoby @InnovativeFilmFanFlag

5. InnovativeFilmFan

I hope with all the youthful generations from the 80's and up becoming more man stream in the film community as Animated Fans we get more serious Adult Animated films. I just hope Anime/Manga, Comics, Graphic Novels, with CGI and Animation efficiency progressing I don't see how you couldn't have a serious Animated fill with a lot of visually active dynamic circ*mstances.

I agree with Luxolll, I mean it sucks but hey he did give us a spectacle of fantastical worlds. Worlds that you cared about it's humanity, it's righteousness, the characters who's lives changed forever and also in the process changing yours. Miyazaki was a wonderful creator of worlds and I give him straight props for that.

7 months agoby @InnovativeFilmFanFlag

6. LuxoIII

@undeadslayer4 Why not? He's given us some of the finest animated films in history. He led a very full life and successful career bringing joy to millions across the globe. It's more than fair for him to take a well-deserved rest.

7 months agoby @brady1138Flag