'Harry Potter' Moratorium Begins December 29th

Warner Bros. will take all 'Harry Potter' Blu-ray and DVD titles out of circulation after Christmas, but VOD, digital downloads, and video games will still be available.
Harry Potter Blu-ray and DVD titles will be unavailable starting December 29
Harry Potter Blu-ray and DVD titles will be unavailable starting December 29
Warner Bros. has announced they will pull all of their Harry Potter Blu-rays and DVDs off the shelves starting December 29. Take a look at the studio's official statement below.

"Harry Potter, the #1 motion picture franchise of all time, will soon disappear from shelves, as Warner Bros. stops shipping all Harry Potter theatrical film titles (including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2, and Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection) as of December 29, 2011 (moratorium does not include digital - Electronic Sell-Through & VOD - or games). The Harry Potter franchise has grossed more than $12.1 billion for Warner Bros. Entertainment - with $7 billion at the worldwide box office for Warner Bros. Pictures and $5.1 billion for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 will be released on Blu-ray and DVD November 11, along with the Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection on Blu-ray and DVD.

Disney employs a similar strategy, by pulling its titles out of the vault with brand new editions after being unavailable for several years. It is unclear how long this Harry Potter moratorium will last, but it seems fans only have a limited amount of time to complete their collections with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 or Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 was released July 15th, 2011 and stars Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Evanna Lynch, Domhnall Gleeson. The film is directed by David Yates.

Sources: Warner Bros.

1. MovieManiac

@ghostman - Doesn't matter to me really. I already own all of the films. i don't need to throw more money on the movies which I already have.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

2. Ghostman

@shuabert@bawnian-dexeus@ROFLitschristian@moviemaniac66@incmob@moviegeek@kguy@dan1@thehost91

To clear things up, Warner Bros is going to stop shipping Harry Potter blu-ray's and DVD's to store inventories, but you can still buy them in stores after the December 29th date; they'll become scarce and hard to find then. but don't worry, the Ultimate Editions of DH Part 1 and 2 will come out next year in December 2012 along with a "Harry Potter The Definitive Collection" limited edition box set. Harry Potter will return, you just have to be patient about it.

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

3. Josh

At least it's on the 29th and not earlier, so if I don't get DH2 for Christmas I'll have time to buy it before it disappears.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

I don't care. As long as ABC Family keeps airing their "Harry Potter Weekends" (which occur every other month), I'll never have to buy HP on DVD or Blu-Ray.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

5. DoubleR0522

This is so stupid I'm sorry to all of the HP fans around the world 4 WB actions, so sorry lol

3 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

6. CBF

What the hell? Yeah Disney does this and it's so they can force you to only buy remakes and not the older versions, i.e. Swiss Family Robinson. It's all about control. But here's the thing: They have been releasing the Ultimate Editions of each movie two at a time, and the Ultimate Edition 8-Film Collection is supposed to be the biggest box set of them all...so why do they need to pull the existing editions? That's dumb as hell you ask me.

3 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

7. ROFLitschristian

All I can say is, in about a year, they better release some super ultra mega fanatic experience complete movie collection box set with a collector's edition wand!

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

8. ROFLitschristian

I've never felt so disappointed with Harry Potter. This means there's probably now Deathly Hallows Double Feature Film Pack for me to get, which is why I've yet to buy Part 1. If they f*ck up with my collection I will be livid!

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

9. Teresa Gibson

This though is said to be real, has to be some trick. Why cut off the hand that feeds you? Everyone should write warner bros in protest. There's no mention of the last two ultimate editions. So does that mean we're not going to get them?

3 years agoby @Teresa-GibsonFlag

10. MovieManiac

I hate when studios do this sh*t. So f*cking stupid.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

11. incmob

yes very lame indeed... a bit off topic though, does anyone know if they will be releasing a two pack of DH1 and 2 or as a whole film on blu ray? I bought the blu ray boxed set of 1-7 a year ago, and would much rather have a two pack of DH then seperate cases to complete the collection. looked online to no avail so just wondered if any other potter fans knew.

3 years agoby @incmobFlag

12. JonSpidey07

this is a f*cking scam! the movie is on sale in November, but thank God this is after X-Mas otherwise I would scared out of my mind of not being able to get a copy

seriously H-Wood, you need to rethink your priorities...

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

13. LuxoIII

This makes no sense whatsoever. How does this benefit us? The fans? Warner Bros. itself? They are going to lose MAJOR money on this! Granted, I know they have already hinted at an Ultimate Final set next year, but that's only for the hardcores (like myself). Most people are just as happy with them now without the bells and whistles and Warner would do well in taking advantage of that.

3 years agoby @brady1138Flag

Geez, it's not like this is the most important franchise in history. This should be for everyone, not to be hidden away

15. moviegeek

?? Disney "pulled movies out of their vaults" that were decades old.

Harry Potter isn't even 10 years old yet. This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

16. K.Guy

...really?

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

17. BERSERKER

WFT. Warner Bros is starting to become the next Disney, pulling releases only once a year so they can cash in.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

Someone care to explain the thought process behind this move to me?

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

F*cking retarded.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

20. The Knight Has Risen

So they won't release the last two ultimate editions? God, this is a dumb idea.

3 years agoby @thehost91Flag

21. Josh

That. is a dumb. f*cking. idea.

They're going to release DH2 for barely a month and then stop selling it?

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag