'Hannibal the Conqueror' May Finally Move Forward with Vin Diesel

The actor reveals that an unnamed studio executive wants to make all three movies in his proposed trilogy.
Vin Diesel's Hannibal the Conqueror project may finally happen
Vin Diesel's Hannibal the Conqueror project may finally happen
Actor Vin Diesel has long dreamed of making his directorial debut with Hannibal the Conqueror, the first in a trilogy that follows the famed Carthaginian leader Hannibal Barca. Today, the actor posted a message on his Facebook page that has since been deleted, where he revealed the project may finally see the light of day.

"When a dream is born in your childhood. When you spend a decade daring to pursue it... The day, a head of a studio says... 'I want to make all three films of your Hannibal trilogy!' Haha... It takes a minute to sink in... Shhhhh... it's still sinking in."

The plan has always been for Vin Diesel to star as Hannibal Barca, the famed general who lead his army across the mountains to attack Rome in 3rd Century B.C. Back in 2006, BET gave the green light for a six-episode animated TV series, which Vin Diesel would have executive produced, along with voicing the title character. That project never saw the light of day, but it seems Hannibal the Conqueror might be on its way.

Hannibal the Conqueror is in development and stars Vin Diesel. The film is directed by Vin Diesel.

Sources: Vin Diesel

I really enjoy seeing Vin excited about projects that matter (and not just Fast and Furious sequels), but I'm not sure about this.

I'm definitely not as versed in the character of Hannibal as @skywise is, but I'm aware of the historical figure. His story is definitely worth an epic biopic, but I'm not sure if passion alone can allow Diesel to pull off the acting requirements for the role. As for his directing skills, I have nothing to base any judgement on, which is an indicator in and of itself that this shouldn't be his first time behind the camera. Pass this project onto a bigger studio, like WB, with Vin serving as executive producer, co-writer, and possibly a supporting character. That's my vote.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

2. darkdream

its about time, i was pissed off they didnt let him make this movie in 2006 i mean the storyline sounds awesome

1 year agoby @darkdreamFlag

3. the MovieGhost

I would be VERY interested to see Hannibal's story interpreted to the big screen, but with Vin directing... I don't know.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

4. Roberto Mata

@skywise It needs to be someone tall, a little tough looking, with great acting abilities, I would say Idris Elba at best..But Elba is african-american, right now, no one else comes to mind...

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

5. Xenon

I think Vin should stick to roles that suite his personality.
    As of directing - no - he's not that type unless he just did short films and became an assistant director one day.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

@Roberto-Mata That is a bit tougher. Nobody comes to mind off the top of my head.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

7. Roberto Mata

@skywise Both Ridley Scott and David Fincher could make a great Hannibal movie, but they are too busy with new projects and sequels, I would say Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg, but it's highly unlikely they will do it. Also another actor for Hannibal?, Diesel is a good leading man, but Hannibal deserves someone who can really bring the dramatic side of the story, so that we can really feel the reality of the character...

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

@bawnian-dexeus You ever heard the saying Enemy at the Gates?

That was derived from the exploits of Hannibal and his march toward Rome.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

@Roberto-Mata My first thought was Ridley Scott. He has plenty of experience with big budgets and realistic looking time pieces. But lately he seems to be a little off his game.

I would really love to see a David Fincher epic like this but so far he has made no indication that he is interested in that type of movie.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

Never heard of him

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

11. Roberto Mata

@skywise You are right, Diesel can't direct this film, is too much for him, a first time director, with no knowledge of how to direct a film this big will ruin the film beyond imagination, This films deserves an experienced director, any ideas?

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

@Roberto-Mata I've always been fascinated with ancient generals and he was able to achieve things that were unheard of and to this day astounding.

Just the thought of Vin trying to accomplish difficult sequences like when Hannibal's army marched - with war elephants - from Iberia over the Pyrenees and the Alps into northern Italy do not give me high hopes.

In fact, I am against this idea the more I think about it.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

13. Roberto Mata

@thedude-abides@skywise Agreed, Hannibal is an Epic story that deserves a good director and a good writing team. But if Diesel directs at least a few shorts or makes a preview of what the film would be at his hands, than I'm In.

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

I'd love to see a hannibal movie. Maybe not a trilogy and like @thedude-abides says, Diesel directing? Not too sure. I would expect him to practice on a few smaller movies before doing something epic like Hannibal.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

15. thedude-abides

I'd be down for this if Diesel weren't directing, but the fact that he is makes me unsure of this at best.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag