'Guardians of the Galaxy' Synopsis Offers a Few New Story Details

A short logline tells the story of a U.S. pilot who gets caught up in an intergalactic conflict.
The Infinity Gauntlet rumored to be at the heart of Guardians of the Galaxy
The Infinity Gauntlet rumored to be at the heart of Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy (not to be confused with Rise of the Guardians or Legend of The Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole) is Marvel Studios next big franchise in the waiting, though we know little more about it than the comic book backstory. Heck, we don't even know for sure if its live action or a fully CGI animated adventure, as Marvel has neither confirmed or denied that fact coming out of Comic-Con 2012. Nor have we heard anything about casting.

This sci-fi adventure basically sounds like Marvel's answer to DC Comics' Green Lantern, and a new, very short synopsis only drives that point home. Down to the fact that our protagonist here is a cocky U.S. Pilot on par with Ryan Reynolds's Hal Jordan.

Here is the basic logline of the film.

"About a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants."

This, of course, ties into Thanos, as seen at the end of Marvel's The Avengers, and the object everyone is hunting for is rumored to be The Infinity Gauntlet, containing six infinity gems, each of which give the wearer of this glove supremacy over all six quadrants of the multiverse.

Hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy will fare better than Green Lantern at the box office. It does have Rocket Raccoon going for it, which could be very cool, or Marvel's biggest mistakes since Howard the Duck (who is from one of the Marvel multiverses...So maybe we'll get a cameo? Nah...)

Guardians of the Galaxy comes to theaters August 1st, 2014 and stars Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Michael Rooker, Ophelia Lovibond, Lee Pace, Glenn Close, Karen Gillan. The film is directed by James Gunn.

1. THE JOKER

@dimerte Which it does appear they are doing... Marvel is flying Sky high right now!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

2. Hideki Ryuga

Maybe is just me but I'd prefer if they make would make it with the 1st original the one where Adam Warlock was the leader
    It seem that he won't be in this movie but talk about thanos without mentioning him it's kinda odd for me

2 years agoby @h-ryugaFlag

3. Glacia

LuxoIII, a movie doesn't need audience familiarity to be a good movie. I suspect some people don't know now that movies like Wanted, Men in Black, Blade or V for Vendetta were comic books before they were movies. The characters in the two series you're referring to were different. Maybe I'm showing my age but I think the series from the 1960s-1970s had a far superior story. The sole reason I can see for choosing the latter is to somehow tie in with other movies since the original took place in the 31st century and the later one in current time. Maybe it's just me but an idealistic astronaut who volunteered for a 1000 year suspended animation flight to alpha Centauri is far cooler than "a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict."

2 years agoby @glaciaFlag

4. dimerte

@mcleve02 I think you are correct. This movie along with the stand alone sequels of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America would be the prefect Avengers 2 set-up. Can you imagine how much money Marvel could make if it does these movies the correct way?

2 years agoby @dimerteFlag

@bellandedward1 First off, not everyone has read The Infinity Gauntlet, so telling plot points from it without a spoiler alert is a douchebag move. Second, not every detail has to be the same.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

6. THE JOKER

@narrator Djimon Hounsou should definitely be the Black Panther

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

7. THE JOKER

@bellandedward1 yes... it would set right up for an Avengers 3 more so than 2... I believe 2 will be more based on Thanos war... Considering he is searching for the cube on Earth... This will set for the 3rd I believe...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

8. THE JOKER

@ejk1 That would tie in Thanos as well....

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

9. Bellandedward1

confuses , why would the infinity gauntlet be the base plot for Guardians of the Galaxy , if Thous would be the one using the gauntlet to destroy the Heroes in the Marvel Universe if that was what the thought process was at the end of the avengers was that Thous would come to earth with the gauntlet to destroy the Heroes and then his daughter Envy destroying the gauntlet and undoing everything her farther had done which in theory would bring back the Superheros who were killed back to kill Thous who would by this time be weak so it would be easy for them to kill Him , Do not know why marvel is Doing it this way could this be tie in for the plot for the AVENGERS 2

2 years agoby @bellandedward1Flag

10. LuxoIII

Honestly, I'm REALLY surprised this is getting a big-budget release. With Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk, audiences were at least somewhat familiar with these characters, but NOBODY outside comic book fandom knows what Guardians of the Galaxy is. Is is absolute D-list material in terms of awareness, which makes this probably the last comic book film you'd ever expect to get the summer blockbuster money treatment. I didn't even know about them until rumor of the movie started spreading and my shock grew even more when I found out these characters could only be found in two short runs, one in the 90s (61 issues) and one that started in 2008 and lasted only 32 issues (including a 6-issue tie-in story).

That said, having now read the more-recent series, I can say I'm really excited for this!

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

11. SherlockHolmes2009

Hopefully this doesnt turn out like Green Lantern

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

@ejk1@narrator No, definitely not Marvel's fault or problem, I couldn't be happier for them that they've gotten that confident. Just slays me (in a good and bad way) that that is our reality, DC's reality to deal with.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

Agreed with @ejk1, @dan1. It's not Marvel's fault that DC can't get their sh*t together.

Though, granted, I'd like to see a Black Panther or Doctor Strange film (or even a good Fantastic Four reboot) before we see a Guardians of the Galaxy film. I like the idea very much, but I feel the previously mentioned films should be more of a priority.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@ejk1 Sounds good to me

@dan1 Mayb e, but let's remeber that that is DC's cross to bear, not Marvel's.

@bawnian-dexeus They can reconfigure the tale of the Infinity Gauntlet to utilize Ultron, creating a villain for Avengers 3 in the process.

Oh by the way, I look forward to this.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

16. Sean

@skywise I don't like that dumb racoon either.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

17. Sean

@jasdjqs I'm not sure about this either, but hopefully it'll turn out to be a good movie.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

18. JMP

so i take it that Major Victory will be in this movie?

2 years agoby @jmpFlag

19. CUPID

A U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons.......WHY?...

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

Why are we complaining about a talking tree and a space raccoon? No more ridiculous than a green lantern planet

21. Rayzilla

this is where marvel goes downhill.

2 years agoby @rayzillaFlag

I want this to be good but I never liked that damn Racoon

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

23. jasdjqs

not sure about this.

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

24. Xenon

I enjoyed Howard the Duck.

Just not sure on this, wasn't a fan of it but I have heard of it.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

25. Mka47

@dan1 a Flash movie would be sweet! I could probably do without wonder woman

2 years agoby @mka47Flag

26. THE JOKER

@dan1 I think it's lame...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Talking trees and raccoons before Wonder Woman or Flash. Think on that, people.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

28. Glacia

I have to admit that not once have I ever thought "green lantern" when reading GotG. I think you're reeealy stretching for that. As far as the raccoon I am leaning toward big mistake. The original GotG story would have been a far superior story.

2 years agoby @glaciaFlag