'Godzilla' to Be a 'Terrifying Force of Nature' Says Writer Frank Darabont

'The Walking Dead' creator reveals his script will not be campy, returning this creature to his horrifying heyday.
Godzilla will be a terrifying force of nature, according to writer Frank Darabont
Earlier this month, we reported that The Walking Dead creator Frank Darabont is providing a final screenplay revision for Legendary Pictures' Godzilla reboot. For fans of this legendary monster who were worried that the remake will be campy, the screenwriter recently put those notions to rest. Take a look at what he had to say, revealing that he wants to make Godzilla a "terrifying force of nature."

"What I found very interesting about Godzilla is that he started off definitely as a metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And some of the atom bomb testing we were doing in the South Pacific in the subsequent years. The giant terrifying force of nature that comes and stomps the shit out of your city, that was Godzilla. Filtered through the very fanciful imaginations of the Japanese perception. And then he became Clifford the Big Red Dog in the subsequent films. He became the mascot of Japan, he became the protector of Japan. Another big ugly monster would show up and he would fight that monster to protect Japan. Which I never really quite understood, the shift. What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy. We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing. And that's tremendously exciting as a writer when you're asked to do something else."

He also revealed that this creature feature will leave enough for audience members to make up their own minds about what this story really means, just like many of his previous movies.

"I love leaving a few crumbs on the table for the audience to determine what they think. Let them bring something to it as well. That's why a movie like The Green Mile is so satisfying or why Stephen King's The Mist is so satisfying to me. Because it stirs their participation and they have interpretation. I've heard metaphors that people apply to The Shawshank Redemption, for example, that are fantastic that I never, ever would have thought of. And I say, you know what? You are absolutley right. That is exactly what it means to you. And how satisfying for me to have served you this meal and you identify flavors in it that I never even intended. That's one of the great rewards of what we do."

Godzilla comes to theaters May 16th, 2014 and stars Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, Ken Watanabe, David Strathairn, Victor Rasuk. The film is directed by Gareth Edwards.

Sources: io9

1. John Ceballos

This new Godzilla movie better be good, cause the US made Godzilla movie was an insult to Godzilla Fans who were expecting to see a Nuclear Powered Behemoth, but instead the fans got a Fish Eating Giant Iguana.

That said, don't let us Godzilla Fans down Frank!

1 year agoby @John-CeballosFlag

2. Angela Nolan

Oh geez, I hated 1998 so much I couldn't stay in the theatre w/o wanting to shoot myself. Godzilla was all wrong in that movie. Never bothered to mover around buildings, he went through them. the monster itself....was a disaster b/c of what they came up with for how he looks. Go back to the original Gozilla. Don't care if it's CGI or a man in a rubber suit. That those two anyday over '98 version. He screws up....think I'm going plead insanity;)

1 year agoby @Angela-NolanFlag

3. renodc

For clarification, Frank Darabont DID NOT create The Walking Dead. Robert Kirkman did. Darabont just brought it to television.

1 year agoby @renodcFlag

4. Letaelba788

before I saw the bank draft which said $5579, I be certain that my neighbour could realey taking home money part-time at there computar.. there dads buddy has been doing this less than 6 months and resantly repaid the dept on their place and bourt a great new Subaru Impreza. we looked here, =============bit90.com=============

1 year agoby @letaelba788Flag

5. masterofthemoon

If the 1998 version of Godzilla was so great then why did they kill it in 13 seconds in the movie Godzilla: Final Wars??? Japan's Godzilla is 110 times better!

1 year agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

6. Xenon

@mr-k - that makes no sense

I found there was nothing wrong with the 1998 version. Though I am looking forward to this film.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

7. Cheetoboy

Wow, I really can't wait for this now. Even when I use to love Godzilla as a kid, I was preferred the dark ultra-destructic badass type, I think the 90s Godzilla series tried to bring that back. Anyways I hope they bring back the classic roar, as in that ferocious lion like roar he had on King of the Monsters.

1 year agoby @cheetoboyFlag

I'm not much one for self acclaiming, but he raises two points I hope he follows through on:

1. Godzilla being a terrifying force of nature that brings ruin to the land, not some anti-hero monster or a campy accident gone rogue because it was hungry.

2. The human story needs to work. I'm not saying monster films need to have the humans be the lead, but we need to see this through someones eyes, and I'm tired of it being a romance, bromance, etc. I'll give Transformers DotM props because one o the things it got sort of right is the character of Sam wanting to matter. A lot of people would be equal parts horrified and thrilled to be thrust into a scenario involving a hundred story monster. No more scientists, no more fiances, how about a new perspective.

If Darabont follows through with this, which doesn't seem plausible since he's only supposed to be doing "rewrites", I'd be a happy camper.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

9. incmob

funny... isnt that what we were told in 1998 too?? (clears throat) mr. darabont, i hear mathew broderick is still looking for work :)

1 year agoby @incmobFlag

10. Nick Barinton Longbottom

Im getting tired of people who hate the property their given go on how their versions gonna be a masterpiece...sigh....

1 year agoby @Nick-Barinton-LongbottomFlag

11. The_Crow2k

Awesome.

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

12. ROFLitschristian

Release now, please.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

13. Mr.K

This might turn out killer.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

14. Sean

@Roberto-Mata Yes, same here! I cannot wait for it!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

15. Roberto Mata

Wow, He just make me, feel confident about this Film's Future. Looking very Forward to this!!!!

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag