'Godzilla' Gets May 16, 2014 Release Date

Director Gareth Edwards monster reboot shares the date with Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Godzilla Gets May 16, 2014 Release Date
Godzilla Gets May 16, 2014 Release Date
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures have slated their take on the classic Godzilla franchise to kick off the Summer moviegoing season on May 16, 2014. The joint announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures, and by Legendary Pictures.

Toho Co., Ltd.'s Godzilla franchise contains one of the most widely recognized movie monsters worldwide, including more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the project, and its partner Warner Bros. will return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner. The project will fall under Legendary's overall agreement with Warner Bros.

The film is directed by Gareth Edwards, who earned worldwide acclaim for his feature directorial debut, "Monsters" Edwards directs from a screenplay by Dave Callaham ("The Expendables" films), David S. Goyer (the "Dark Knight" trilogy) and Max Borenstein (upcoming "The Seventh Son"). Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce, along with Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher will serve as executive producers alongside Doug Davison, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. The tent pole film is expected to be presented in 3D.

Godzilla was released May 16th, 2014 and stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Cameron Adams, Ken Watanabe, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Carson Bolde, Sally Hawkins, Juliette Binoche. The film is directed by Gareth Edwards.

1. Monkeyiron 2.0

@ghostman it's the only thing I think that eats Iguana's....Oh and I'm smoking Cheese,Zone,Purp,HiGrade and I'm trying to get O.G. but it seems to be impossible

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

2. THE JOKER

@ghostman haha you silly boy... leaving out words in your posts...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

3. THE JOKER

@brady1138 haha yes sir!!!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

4. CBF

Hopefully they get the backstory / character right this time. As long as that's good, I'm good.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

5. CelluloidDreams

PASS!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

6. CelluloidDreams

PASS!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

7. Ben Greene

I only want to see TMNT if it ends with them as turtle soup and the bad guy dipping his finger in and saying: "Hmm...needs more salt..."

2 years agoby @ben-greeneFlag

8. Sean

@xenon56 You're welcome.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

9. Xenon

@themoviefanatic thanks for reminding me.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Rudy

Godzilla meets Guillermo del Toro.......Godzilla in..........Pacific Rim 2. DUN DUN DUUUUN.

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

11. Sean

@xenon56 You mean 1998, right?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. LuxoIII

@mcleve02 I guess that would explain your username and profile pic :)

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

Honestly, I don't know. I'll miss the dubbing.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

14. Ghostman

@mcleve02 Such a long wait is what I meant.

@monkeyiron2-0 A mutated cat? WTF you been smoking dude? We know that this Godzilla will be fighting a multi armed insect.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

15. THE JOKER

@monkeyiron2-0 That would have been too much... what happens when you have way too many villains in one movie...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

16. Glacia

Just when you think they can't beat a dead horse any more they stick a cattle prod up its whooptidoo and voila another Godzilla movie.

2 years agoby @glaciaFlag

17. Monkeyiron 2.0

This is good news...good news...I think the American remake did good but too much human not enough GodZilla and it could've been epic if He fought a monster like a mutated cat or something plus the movie should've got his size right which he is the size of the Empire state building...Hopefully this movie will please my lust for an epic Monster fight like 2005's KING KONG did

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

18. THE JOKER

@brady1138 haha hey man when I have a beautiful girl attached to my arm... who was dragged there by her friends and wants me to make fun of the movie while in the theater disrupting all the fan-twats as they try to watch... keeps me from totally melting away!

Haha man, I am the same with Batman... (except for Batman and robin!!!!!) Quite the fanboy!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

19. LuxoIII

@mcleve02 You sat through all the Twilight films?! That is some dedication! I've only seen the first one and felt like I had died a little inside...and started decomposing! Not too big on Robocop, but I guess it's vice versa for me with Godzilla: it may not be all that great, but I'M SOOOO PSYCHED FOR IT!!! I have all 28 originals practically memorized, so this is a childhood dream come true.

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

20. Cheetoboy

I think both the Godzilla franchise and Bond franchise are the 2 longest running franchises of all time, it is said that they both have more movies than any other film saga. Even though its a long wait, I hope Godzilla dominates 2014.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

21. Sean

@cheetoboy I'm not too sure about that because then, if you use someone in a motion capture suit, then it would seem very tacky and cheap on screen in the movie. I think that they would be way better off using cgi for Godzilla.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

22. THE JOKER

@brady1138 If you say so haha... I will always be willing to watch any movie, yes I have even painfully sat through the Twilight films, and who knows my opinion may change... Kind of like I am with Robocop at the moment!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

23. LuxoIII

@mcleve02 Agreed on Pirates of the Caribbean and Avatar, but Godzilla is like Bond: it's made to last. There will always be an upcoming film. It's a franchise that morphs with the times and acts as a sort of bridge between generations. There are some sequels that simply don't need to happen, but Godzilla is a MUST.

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

24. Cheetoboy

@themoviefanatic But, honestly it would be better if they used a mocap suit, it would give Godzilla more of a personality. Wow, The big guy going up against Ninja Turtles, I wonder who will win that weekend, I like both of them, but personally I'm rooting for Godzilla. And for the record just saying this, people should stop calling Godzilla a giant lizard ( except obviously the Roland Emmerich version), the original Godzilla is a dinosaur mutated by radioactivity.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

25. Sean

@cheetoboy I don't think that a person would be used to put cgi over them in post production with a motion capture suit. I think it would be a cgi Godzilla, not anything that would involve motion capture using a person wearing a motion capture suit.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

26. THE JOKER

@ghostman such a long? haha

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

27. Ghostman

Such a long for such an awesome movie!!

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

28. Cheetoboy

Wow, totally can't wait for this. Andy Serkis should do Godzilla's motion capture, unlike in LOTR Trilogy, The recent upcoming Hobbit Trilogy, Rise of the Planet Of the Apes, and even King Kong, he could let it loose more as Godzilla. Compared to those other creatures Godzilla is edgier, stronger, and Grittier. To me Andy would be perfect, he could give us a definitely badass Godzilla.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

29. THE JOKER

@brady1138 I personally don't want remakes... It doesn't mean they won't necessarily be good, but I would much rather see them do more films like The Master...

As far as sequels go, it really depends on the film... There are a few films that they want to make sequels to that just really need to either be a stand alone film or the series is over... aka Avatar and Pirates of the Caribbean...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag