'Ghostbusters 3' May Lead to Two More Sequels Says Dan Aykroyd

The actor/screenwriter believes they will need to make one or two more before exploring the rumored 'Ghostbusters in Hell' storyline.
Dan Aykroyd wants to make two more sequels after Ghostbusters 3
Dan Aykroyd wants to make two more sequels after Ghostbusters 3
Back in October, we reported the unfortunate news that Ghostbusters 3 has been delayed yet again, since Sony still hasn't given a green light for this highly-anticipated sequel. One of the story lines that has been rumored throughout the years has the Ghostbusters going to hell. Writer-actor Dan Aykroyd revealed that there will have to be one or two more sequels after Ghostbusters 3 to tackle this plot.

"Man-hell-ttan, and the Ghostbusters in hell, would be so solid, but we gotta get maybe one or two made before that. But, oh, wow... I wrote that with Tom Davis, my writing partner, recently deceased, who wrote Coneheads with me and stuff on Saturday Night Live. There's classic Tom Davis lines and funny stuff in there, really it's probably the most humorous of all the Ghostbusters scripts that have generated in that last little while. But we'll put the humor into this next one. It's gotta be funny, or it's not worth doing. It can be scary, it can be Ghostbusters, it can be the new franchise, the new people, but if it's not funny ... Wait a minute, it started as a comedy. Let's make sure there's laughs and no laugh unturned and that we really make that our priority, to make it funny and exciting, but mainly funny."

The project has had quite the tumultuous history, with The Office scribes Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg writing a screenplay that Bill Murray reportedly hated. We reported in July that Etan Cohen is the latest to tackle the script. However, despite being the project's biggest cheerleader, Dan Aykroyd revealed he will walk away if Sony doesn't make a move soon.

"Now, this would add quite a bump to Sony's bottom line, quite a bump. If they make this movie, in its current shape, they would be looking at a pretty hefty, nine-figure return. And so I'm hoping they get on to move it, but if they don't, I have multiple trains. I've got tracks six, seven, and nine, and that's four. I'll be moving on to other things, as will Ivan, by the way. We can't wait forever. And now's the time to tell the picture company, and I'd say this quite publicly, it's time now to sit down and make this movie, or you will lose your main principals, and you won't be able to make it without us, because we have rights, and now is time to make the movie..."

Of course, even if the movie does eventually happen, it will be without Bill Murray, who left the project in August. However, Dan Aykroyd did say there is an opening in the script, if the actor has a change of heart.

Ghostbusters comes to theaters in 2016.

Sources: Esquire

1. Monkeyiron 2.0

wow getting c*cky art we Yogi

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

2. LuxoIII

Don't care.

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

3. SpaceCowboy

By the 5th one the original cast will become the ghosts that need busting.

2 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

4. ROFLitschristian

And so it begins...

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

Don't care and Crystal Skull was awesome

6. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Man I don't think they should do a 3, much less a 4 and 5.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

7. Jun_Arta

LOL. I doubt if this movie will do well in the box-office.... but let's just hope I'm wrong.

2 years agoby @Jun-ArtaFlag

8. The Real Goku

Who cares

2 years agoby @therealGokuFlag

9. The Knight Has Risen

Don't make promises you can't keep, goddamnit!

2 years agoby @thehost91Flag

At this point i really dont care. If it gets made great, if not...oh well.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

11. Gandoff

@ejk1 I agree. Either make it or just let it die... No doubt in 5 years, we may see them Remake GB anyway... lol

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

@gandoff I just want them to let it go already. It's pointless.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

13. Gandoff

@ejk1 They had multiple scrips, but Murray was holding them up with if he would do it and such. Many re-writes to get his OK, ended with a doubt it form him. All other main actors, and the director is on board. Only casting the other new parts and getting the studio to green light for the money is all needed. So, there is a director, a story, and most of the cast. I do also think, they may have even wrote characters for specific actors to do it. Just not ever named any. @jimthar GB 2 was not that bad. Was no where near as good as one, but 99% of all sequels are not up to the level the first movie is. My issue is, they took so long between 1 and 2, that the time before they do 3 is killing the franchise. I do not seeing GB become a great movie on any level with out Murray who is a major key role in all GB related stories, but it the movie or the animation shows.

In the end, GB 3 may not even get made. But if they do, I want Murray in it for one, which may not happen. And two, the new cast to be set up the best way to carry the story for the future. I love GB and is one of the five things I hold dear from my childhood. He-Man, Thundercats,TMNT, Transfromers, and GhostBusters. Those five was my biggest things in my life. And would love nothing more then to see GB continue on. It could, and would easily be done with the right cast. For what I have hear, Murray is why it was so long between GB 1 and 2, then as we all know his hold out for GB 3.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

14. Roberto Mata

Just let it die, and let the first film be a classic, the second not so much.

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

Whatever. Aykroyd needs to lay off whatever he's toking.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. Jimthar

*get it

2 years agoby @jimtharFlag

17. Jimthar

i just dont et it. is ben over 20 years. GB2 sucked big balls and now they wanna do 3 more sequels 20-something years later?? gime a break. no desire whatsoever to see this. let it die.

2 years agoby @jimtharFlag

18. Ghostman

I have a feeling this will be the new Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Took years in development, only to turn out to be a disappointment.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

Really? He hasn't even gotten a complete cast, a director, or a viable story for #3. Stop living in a dream world, Aykroyd.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

20. SherlockHolmes2009

Theres no way theyll be 2 more sequels, this 3rd ones been taking too damn long. Id say it make it a trilogy and end it

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag